REPARATIONS HEARINGS! FREE STUFF?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
You would get extra percentages back for having ancestors in the Fighting 69th but...…..with the elections of De Blasio and Cuomo we need to recalculate or move you to Florida

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
You'd have to produce that list. That's a new one.
That's not new ... it's well known.
I doubt if it was 1/3 but at least a hundred.

Henry Louis Gates article - ... for a time, free black people could even "own" the services of white indentured servants in Virginia as well. Free blacks owned slaves in Boston by 1724 and in Connecticut by 1783;
by 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler "regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade," Halliburton wrote.

vantexan

That's not new ... it's well known.
I doubt if it was 1/3 but at least a hundred.

Henry Louis Gates article - ... for a time, free black people could even "own" the services of white indentured servants in Virginia as well. Free blacks owned slaves in Boston by 1724 and in Connecticut by 1783;
by 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler "regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade," Halliburton wrote.
Yes, but not what I was referring to. 1/3rd of all slave owners in Louisiana were Black? That would be thousands of slave owners in a state where most blacks at the time if they weren't enslaved then they fled to the North. I noticed your examples are from northern states or at best border states. Louisiana would be an entirely different environment.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yes, but not what I was referring to. 1/3rd of all slave owners in Louisiana were Black? That would be thousands of slave owners in a state where most blacks at the time if they weren't enslaved then they fled to the North. I noticed your examples are from northern states or at best border states. Louisiana would be an entirely different environment.

It still is

newfie

64560227_10215951300908013_3217488747373264896_n.jpg

UrFellowUpser

So the jews can get reperations for 6 million killed for like a span of 6 years but black people cant get reaperations for millions upon millions killed over a span of 500 yrs of white supremacy huh.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So the jews can get reperations for 6 million killed for like a span of 6 years but black people cant get reaperations for millions upon millions killed over a span of 500 yrs of white supremacy huh.
The first slaves and indentured servants came to the ENGLISH colony of Jamestown, Virginia in 1619.

The U.S.A. didn't gain its independence from England until July 4, 1776. The importation of black slaves from Africa was banned in 1808. The 13th Amendment abolishing slavery was ratified December 6, 1865.

Data shows deaths to 1.8 million caused by the slave trade to North AND South America combined.

Unless you believe White Supremacy is an innate quality of Caucasians, your 500 year timeline and your millions upon millions killed is erroneous. Jon Stewart notwithstanding.

Slavery was an egregious horror that should be acknowledged because racism today is rooted in it.
Reparations won't repair that damage. It will only encourage the racists.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The first slaves and indentured servants came to the ENGLISH colony of Jamestown, Virginia in 1619.

The U.S.A. didn't gain its independence from England until July 4, 1776. The importation of black slaves from Africa was banned in 1808. The 13th Amendment abolishing slavery was ratified December 6, 1865.

Data shows deaths to 1.8 million caused by the slave trade to North AND South America combined.

Unless you believe White Supremacy is an innate quality of Caucasians, your 500 year timeline and your millions upon millions killed is erroneous. Jon Stewart notwithstanding.

Slavery was an egregious horror that should be acknowledged because racism today is rooted in it.
Reparations won't repair that damage. It will only encourage the racists.
Ya! Let's talk about history!

England abolished slavery without war.... they compensated owners for their property. I demand reparations for my ancestors' property!