Right to Work,

UPSSOCKS

here's something to think about....

You get what you pay for.

Do you really think you are getting the same quality of representation if you

are not a dues paying member....?

As long as your local doesn't refuse to represent you....

You get what you get. Or so i hear.

-bug-

quality representation?????? Where???

satellitedriver

Indeed, there is someone else out there who sees through all the rhetoric and lies! Hats off!
97' was a wake up call, for me.
I was lied to and I would not lie still for it.
Reveille was sounded, but most stayed in bed.
Rev-eil-lee! Rev-eil-lee is sounding
The bugle calls you from your sleep; it is the break of day.
You've got to do your duty or you will get no pay.
Come, wake yourself, rouse yourself out of your sleep
And throw off the blankets and take a good peek at all
The bright signs of the break of day, so get up and do not delay.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If there were a law forcing me to be a member of a union to work for UPS I probably would not be working for UPS as I am opposed to anyone forcing me to do something.

No one is ever "forced" to join a union.

90% of the jobs out there are non-union. There are plenty of "opportunities" available for those who are opposed to union membership to practice those principles in the workplace of their choosing.

What usually happens is that people want the pay and benefits of a union job without having to accept any of the responsibilities (union dues) that go along with it.

Its sort of like the guy who chooses to buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA (homeowners association). He does so because the neighborhood is nicer and the property values are more stable. But when its time to pay the monthly dues and follow the rules that all the other homeowners agreed to, that same guy will turn around and complain about how his "freedoms" are being taken away.

You cant have it both ways.

upsset

Are you enjoying the raises you have gotten during this recession? Do you think you would have gotten them if they weren't garunteed by our contract? UPS is a solid company but not a generous one. How many times have you heard a member of management spitfully refer to how much they pay you. Do you think they respect as a professional who's services add value to the company or consider you a worthless machine. Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As bad as it gets around here, if you think your life at UPS would be better without the union stop kidding yourself.

upsset

If you want an idea of what UPS benifit package would be like without the union representation, next time your shopping at an anti-union establishment like WalMart, ask the sales clerk about wages, healthcare, and retirement benifits they recieve. Be careful what you wish for.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
quality representation?????? Where???

I always laugh when people who have never done the job criticize their

Union Steward, Business Agent, Principal Officer, Executive Board....

For the most part.... Every elected and paid Union Representative understands

there is a fiduciary obligation to the members. Or it is explained to them.

If you are not happy with your rep's.... The term is only 3 years.

Go for it.

-Bug-

804brown

Are you enjoying the raises you have gotten during this recession? Do you think you would have gotten them if they weren't garunteed by our contract? UPS is a solid company but not a generous one. How many times have you heard a member of management spitfully refer to how much they pay you. Do you think they respect as a professional who's services add value to the company or consider you a worthless machine. Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As bad as it gets around here, if you think your life at UPS would be better without the union stop kidding yourself.

In a nut shell.

rod

Retired 22 years
You are correct.
Only workers in non-right to work states are "forced" to pay a large percentage in union dues to not be properly representend by the union.

To date they have paid me $354,000 in pension checks (thats at least $225,000 more that I paid in for dues) and unknown ten of thousands of dollars in medical coverage for both the wife and me. All this starting when I retired at 53. They have "represented" me just fine thank you and never once did I consider it being "forced to pay Union dues" even though I live in a closed shop state. I have a hard time understanding how an hourly worker can be so anti-union. Sure they have their problems but would you trade places with say a non-union Fedex driver?

satellitedriver

To date they have paid me $354,000 in pension checks (thats at least $225,000 more that I paid in for dues) and unknown ten of thousands of dollars in medical coverage for both the wife and me. All this starting when I retired at 53. They have "represented" me just fine thank you and never once did I consider it being "forced to pay Union dues" even though I live in a closed shop state. I have a hard time understanding how an hourly worker can be so anti-union. Sure they have their problems but would you trade places with say a non-union Fedex driver?

They-( the union)- have paid you nothing in your pension.
UPS paid that money into your retirement.
I can only pray that your health care controlled by the union is better than what is being offered to those in Central States.
If memory serves me, you pay about $200 a month for health care in retirement.
At the age of 58, I will have to pay roughly $700 a month, with no vision or dental, and limited prescription coverage, with a max of $150,000 coverage a year.
You might have not considered that you were forced to pay dues, but you were, if you wanted to work at UPS.
I am not anti union and never have been.
I am in good standing with IBEW and SteelWorkers of America.
When IBT lied to me in 97', I cut off all monies, and loyalty, to them.
As an hourly worker, I have always had one concept.
I will do the job to the best of my abilities, or be fired.
Since 1967, I have always had a steady job,
-(union and non union)-
and have never been fired.
Working for Fedex is my retirement plan.
2/3rd's of the money for 1/3 of the work.
To steal a quote from Dave Ramsey,
"Act your wage."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You are correct.
Only workers in non-right to work states are "forced" to pay a large percentage in union dues to not be properly representend by the union.

Thats like saying that UPS "forces" me to pay $80 every 2 years for a drivers license. It is a condition of employment that I was made aware of and chose to accept prior to taking the job. If for whatever reason I decide that I no longer wish to pay that $80, I am free to resign and seek employment at a place where a drivers license is not required.

rod

Retired 22 years
They-( the union)- have paid you nothing in your pension.
UPS paid that money into your retirement.
I can only pray that your health care controlled by the union is better than what is being offered to those in Central States.
If memory serves me, you pay about $200 a month for health care in retirement.
At the age of 58, I will have to pay roughly $700 a month, with no vision or dental, and limited prescription coverage, with a max of $150,000 coverage a year.
You might have not considered that you were forced to pay dues, but you were, if you wanted to work at UPS.
I am not anti union and never have been.
I am in good standing with IBEW and SteelWorkers of America.
When IBT lied to me in 97', I cut off all monies, and loyalty, to them.
As an hourly worker, I have always had one concept.
I will do the job to the best of my abilities, or be fired.
Since 1967, I have always had a steady job,
-(union and non union)-
and have never been fired.
"Act your wage."

So do you think UPS would have put that money away for you for retirement if they weren't "forced" to give it to the Union? Dream on. Not only would you not see any of that, I guarantee you wouldn't be being paid $30 an hour now. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the IBT. A couple of times I thought they did less than they could have also but overall I thank God they were there to make it possible for my family and I to live quite comfortably. Also remember that all the contracts have been agreed to by both the company and the Union with the company ignoring that fact quite often. I quess we will just have to agree to disagree as they say. I kind of chuckled at that one remark you had posted about "thinking of maybe retiring next year". I knew the exact date I wanted to retire 25 years before hand. Peace

PobreCarlos

Trouble is, for many, the money that UPS "put away" for their employees retirement was squandered supporting other non-UPS Teamsters...and didn't benefit UPS employees at all.

In that sense, "yes", I believe that UPS would have "put that money away for YOU" - and ONLY for"you", and not flushed down the toilet trying to buy off non-employees - if it had been given the opportunity. As for contractual agreements, I don't think UPS ever agreed to bail-out the entire Teamster pension fund scheme, nor did they agree to any proposal by the Teamsters to ignore organizing the competition and/or drive other employer/contributors to the multi-employer pension funds out of business. That's solely the union's doing.

Beyond that, remember the "memorandum of understanding" the Teamsters signed a few years back regarding the funding level of Central States? And remember how they simply failed to honor it? By that I mean that "yes", contracts are AGREED upon by both parties...but, when it came to pensions, the Teamsters have had a history of not honoring their side of the bargain.

trickpony1

"Act your wage."

good luck with that.
Unless things have changed recently, our famous union can tell you not only what you can do after you retire but how many hours a week you can do it. If you violate either of these they can withhold your pension.
Wanna have some fun?
Call the CS H,W and Pension plan and tell them you have some questions about working after you retire.
Think of some jobs you would like to do after retiring (nurse, teacher, bus driver, gravedigger, government worker....whatever)
They willl tell you which ones of these jobs you can do.
Now the fun........ask for a list of jobs you are allowed to do.
There isn't such a list. (what does that tell you?)
So......you really didn't "earn" X number of dollars to be paid at your retirement because it is conditional on what you do or don't do upon retiring.
Could you get your super attorney nephew to file a class action on this issue?

trickpony1

Post number 39........
content beginning with "good luck with that" are my words....not Sat's.
I'm not a computer wizard.
I'm just a truck driver.