Rigorous honesty. "On topic" please.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I strive to be honest in all my dealings, but there is a limit to how honest you ought to be in some situations. When playing cards you don't show your hand until the time is right, and that is a metaphor for life. When your wife asks if you like what she's wearing, she doesn't want your opinion, she wants validation of her opinion. Being honest is important, but discernment and discretion are just as important.

bbsam

Staff member
Rigorous honesty.

I am familiar with it as a term straight out of AA having to do with self examination and one’s own culpability in any unpleasant situation.

Struggling with it right now as a matter of fact.

I’m at a nationwide youth church gathering that has not gone as planned since before we left on the 1100 mile journey to Houston. Major letdown by two chaperones backing out at the last minute. Two people that I held in the highest esteem until last Thursday. They even had relatively good reasons.

But now I’m consumed with hate and rage and vindictiveness about last week to the extent that nothing else matters. I know I’m responsible for my own emotions and actions but right now I don’t :censored2:ing care. Once I’m reimbursed for the van rental and the fuel I’ll probably never have another thing to do with any of them. I don’t even really care about the money. Just seems like the coldest way to make a clean break.

And here’s the rigorous honesty part. I don’t want to do it. It crushes me to do it but being so consumed with self righteousness and pride I can’t let go. It’s a strange self destruction that I’m walking into with a twisted enjoyment. Something’s gonna happen, it’s gonna be bad.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Rigorous honesty.

I am familiar with it as a term straight out of AA having to do with self examination and one’s own culpability in any unpleasant situation.

Struggling with it right now as a matter of fact.

I’m at a nationwide youth church gathering that has not gone as planned since before we left on the 1100 mile journey to Houston. Major letdown by two chaperones backing out at the last minute. Two people that I held in the highest esteem until last Thursday. They even had relatively good reasons.

But now I’m consumed with hate and rage and vindictiveness about last week to the extent that nothing else matters. I know I’m responsible for my own emotions and actions but right now I don’t :censored2:ing care. Once I’m reimbursed for the van rental and the fuel I’ll probably never have another thing to do with any of them. I don’t even really care about the money. Just seems like the coldest way to make a clean break.

And here’s the rigorous honesty part. I don’t want to do it. It crushes me to do it but being so consumed with self righteousness and pride I can’t let go. It’s a strange self destruction that I’m walking into with a twisted enjoyment. Something’s gonna happen, it’s gonna be bad.
Thanks for sharing.

I can relate.

Youth ministry can be challenging.

Brohn Bron

Extremely thorough, exhaustive, or accurate pursuit and\or application of the quality of being honest.

The accurate pursuit of being honest is exhausting and sometimes detrimental to self preservation. At UPS, I think it is impossible to always be honest and open. After all we are only humans with the expectation that we work like robots.

Brohn Bron

Extremely thorough, exhaustive, or accurate pursuit and\or application of the quality of being honest.

The accurate pursuit of being honest is exhausting and sometimes detrimental to self preservation. At UPS, I think it is impossible to always be honest and open. After all we are only humans with the expectation that we work like robots.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Difficult but not impossible.

Company policy does not state that employees are expected to work like robots.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Being honest and being open are two different things. Gotta play your cards close to your chest, but also gotta be a straight shooter. You determine how much information you disclose at any time. If someone thinks you are being dishonest by witholding information, the burden of proof is on them. If you are being accused of something always ask for representation, and always demand to see all the evidence against you before you open your mouth.