RIP Merv Griffin

wkmac

He was a fixture on my family's TV set. In 69' when he hit the airways across from Carson, Merv like his daytime counterpart Mike Douglass was known to have many good rock bands of the era on his show. Those of us back in the day, especially during my high school years of the early 70's would always keep tabs of his shows in order to catch who might be coming on to play. Between Merv, Mike and Dick Cavett, they did a great job of filing our music fix well before MTV/VH-1 and YouTube.

God Bless you Merv and thanks for some great memories

moreluck

golden ticket member
Merv was also Nancy Reagan's closest friend and has helped her so much since her husband passed. She will surely feel this loss.

Merv was such a force in developing game shows too.

I always watched his variety show too and he had all the best & famous as guests.

satellitedriver

I was just watching a tribute to Merv. He said my tombstone would read," I will not be back after this message". He seemed to be genuine and honest. He was a part of my younger years and I will miss him.
PAX

moreluck

golden ticket member
In June, 2000, Merv Griffin noted that he "may have written the shortest, most valuable piece of music, ever." The piece? The painfully memorable "think" music which he wrote for the hit TV game show "Jeopardy!"

moreluck

golden ticket member
Not relevent. It doesn't make him any less of a father, grandfather or magnificent business man billionaire.

wkmac

WOW, so Merv was gay. I never had any idea of that. Didn't really care either! And he was so tight (uh "no BUN intended!) with the Reagans. Now that sure throws a different spin on Dutch and his so-called hatred of gays. To understand the political hatred of Reagan in the 70's and 80's, you have to understand the whole Haight-Ashbury scene in the 60's. Believe me, it's very connected.

As for Merv being gay? I guess I'll just have to say my big thanks to a "gay man" for some wonderful childhood memories and bringing so many various entertainers to the forefront so I could enjoy them at their craft.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
It would have been better if it was a relevant statement.

Is being gay a problem Mr. Satellite Driver?

[SIZE=-1]John Colapinto, "Dear Mister Fantasy", Rolling Stone, 1 June 2006. Sued for $200M in palimony in 1991 by Brent Plott, a case dismissed with prejudice. Sued again by secretary/bodyguard Denny Terrio for sexual harassment, also dismissed. "Merv does not refute the underlying implication in both cases: that he is gay... He parries any direct questions about his sexual orientation. 'You're asking an eighty-year-old man about his sexuality right now... Get a life!'"[/SIZE]

satellitedriver

Is being gay a problem Mr. Satellite Driver?

[SIZE=-1]John Colapinto, "Dear Mister Fantasy", Rolling Stone, 1 June 2006. Sued for $200M in palimony in 1991 by Brent Plott, a case dismissed with prejudice. Sued again by secretary/bodyguard Denny Terrio for sexual harassment, also dismissed. "Merv does not refute the underlying implication in both cases: that he is gay... He parries any direct questions about his sexual orientation. 'You're asking an eighty-year-old man about his sexuality right now... Get a life!'"[/SIZE]
WTF????
I could care less which way Merv pendulum swung.
In my opinion, your pointing out that Merv might have been gay, has the same import that he wore dentures.
It seems you have more issues on this subject than I do.
To answer your question directly, No.
PAX

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
WTF????
I could care less which way Merv pendulum swung.
In my opinion, your pointing out that Merv might have been gay, has the same import that he wore dentures.
It seems you have more issues on this subject than I do.
To answer your question directly, No.
PAX

I was joking around.

Geesh, you guys are serious around here.