RtW / voting question

Trailer monkey

Mean's nothing to an 18-26 year old that can stay on their parents health insurance. And since UPS wages are similar to fast foot without the physical demands...you get labor shortages that existing part-timers have to make up and PT sups working claiming they are short people.

So hence the contract is not enforceable and the PT'ers see a weak union that does little to benefit them--especially enforced through market rate adjustments where new hires get bonuses that surpass or come close to their earnings despite having been at UPS much longer. Which means no pushback to RTW legislation or not paying union dues.
Taco Bell doesn't pay overtime after 5 hours, Taco Bell is going to require weekends Taco Bell is not going to pay a new hire $31.00 per hour to work the day after Thanksgiving. Taco Bell does not have a senoirity list that will put you in line for a full-time $35-$40+ job. Not all 18-26 year olds are on their parents insurance and it is not free for the ones that are, many parttimers have kids and the benefits are the primary reason they are working there. There is no excuse for being a freeloading scab, none whatsoever. Dismissed!, Next case

Its_a_me

Taco Bell doesn't pay overtime after 5 hours, Taco Bell is going to require weekends Taco Bell is not going to pay a new hire $31.00 per hour to work the day after Thanksgiving. Taco Bell does not have a senoirity list that will put you in line for a full-time $35-$40+ job. Not all 18-26 year olds are on their parents insurance and it is not free for the ones that are, many parttimers have kids and the benefits are the primary reason they are working there. There is no excuse for being a freeloading scab, none whatsoever. Dismissed!, Next case
You don't seem to understand that a union job is being compared to a non-union fastfood job. That means the union utterly failed at contract negotiations--best contract ever.

18-26 year old are on their parents insurance. Are there odd cases where they aren't: of course. Are they in the minority: yes. There is no cost difference to the parents that are paying for family plans in most cases. You don't get charged differently for 1 child or 3 children or 10 children in all cases but a few cheap employers. Trying to act like health care is a major driving force behind a healthy 18 or early 20 something kid is also a joke. Most of those kids could eat a diet of sugar and caffeine and not see consequences for years.

You might dismiss it and want to say next...but the numbers at my center are multiplying with each hire. And seeing a market rate adjustment means even the long tenured union members are saying why am I paying union dues for that.

New hires know there is no future in driving with automated vehicles. And certainly not the rates of today's pay in those jobs. They make decent money per hour 1 day a year--the day after a holiday--when their workload and hours required to be there skyrockets....thanks for nothing.

So dismiss it all you want: the issue is clear and growing.

7 states became RTW after 1980. Right now there are 27 states that are RTW. With 2 of the last three doing so in the middle of traditionally union friendly states in the Midwest. And only 1 has ever repealed it: Missouri.

And Arizona currently has legislation in progress which will make it #28.

Last edited:

Trailer monkey

You don't seem to understand that a union job is being compared to a non-union fastfood job. That means the union utterly failed at contract negotiations--best contract ever.

18-26 year old are on their parents insurance. Are there odd cases where they aren't: of course. Are they in the minority: yes. There is no cost difference to the parents that are paying for family plans in most cases. You don't get charged differently for 1 child or 3 children or 10 children in all cases but a few cheap employers. Trying to act like health care is a major driving force behind a healthy 18 or early 20 something kid is also a joke. Most of those kids could eat a diet of sugar and caffeine and not see consequences for years.

You might dismiss it and want to say next...but the numbers at my center are multiplying with each hire. And seeing a market rate adjustment means even the long tenured union members are saying why am I paying union dues for that.

New hires know there is no future in driving with automated vehicles. And certainly not the rates of today's pay in those jobs. They make decent money per hour 1 day a year--the day after a holiday--when their workload and hours required to be there skyrockets....thanks for nothing.

7 states became RTW after 1980. Right now there are 27 states that are RTW. With 2 of the last three doing so in the middle of traditionally union friendly states in the Midwest. And only 1 has ever repealed it: Missouri.

Arizona is Right to Scab, has been for a long time. How many scab states there are doesn't matter. UPS evidently has value to to new hires, otherwise why would they take a job that is so much harder than fast food and supposedly has no more value?

Last edited:

Trailer monkey

And as far as this "right to work" crap, it is a totally bogus law because no where is anyone forced to join a union or pay dues

542thruNthru

In reality a Part Time Pension is a pipe dream for most of our members:

a. Have to be 21 in order to start vesting.

b. If you are lucky enough to reach the service levels...It pays out peanuts compared to the full timers' pension plans...particularly if you happen to be under the Central and Southern Supplement.

c. Most of the part timers DO NOT hang around for 5 years to become vested in their pensions. In fact most never make it through orientation,

d. You quit accruing pension benefits once you reach the service level of 35 years. We have some part timers in our building that have over 45 years in, the Company does not have to provide any additional coverage or improvements past 35 years. (Central)....

e. Most of the full timers that worked part timer before they took a full time position have vested years that is formulated based on their number of years and when they left that part time pension plan. That plan has a (6 Percent) reduction per year prior to age 65, so if you retire at age 55 those monetary benefits are reduced (60 Percent).

Most of the full timers that are retiring today are basing their retirement income only on their full time years...the 5 to 15 years part time service that it took to bid on a full time position turns out to be pocket change.

This is a negotiable item that the past Union Leadership never could or wanted to address, most of happening for the rank and file under the Central and Southern Conferences...
I would just like to point out...

Don't need to be 21 in the West. ;)

Carry on.

Karma...

I agree....I cant believe that the teamsters have allowed ups to have union and non-union people in the company....so much for worker solidarity ......major failure.

Its_a_me

It's nothing to do with the Union.

It's the right to work state laws
...which are handed over from national political parties to state legislatures but are actually written largely by national industry lobbyists and billionaires though large campaign contributions (which primarily go to one political party) or by unions (and their contributions to the other political party) if they are anti-right-to-work laws.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I think this guy could have a bright future at Captain Hook's Fish and Chips?

Its_a_me

I think this guy could have a bright future at Captain Hook's Fish and Chips?
...and this is the level of union discussion when you try to present problems at the local as well with all the Boomers there making similar dated references. Which is why no one bothers going to their meetings if they are under the age of 50.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
...and this is the level of union discussion when you try to present problems at the local as well with all the Boomers there making similar dated references. Which is why no one bothers going to their meetings if they are under the age of 50.
Your continued discussion is centered around a fact you continue to miss, that being part-timers control their own destinies and have for quite sometime by the shear fact they outnumber full-timers.

But instead you prefer to point your fingers at those elected (past and present) who chose to represent in consecutive contracts those who actually vote in what is defined as a democratic process.

It's high time you face those facts and scold the ones who are truly to blame....and it's not the boomers.