Safety Issue question

tieguy

Banned
Thanks for the replys. I follow Tie's method of cleaning it up. Im a loader not a preloader. So packages come down a slide towards me. Alot of times they fall off the slide on the way down. Thats how the egress starts. But the guy isn't following the correct method. He doesnt want the buzzer to go off and overcrowd the jackpots. (The place where the overflow of packages that cant go down the full slide from all the other trailers on the belt.)

Anyways when i work. I keep my area clean, I dont care if the buzzer is going off, I just want my area to came in compliance with the law, yeah i might look bad and slow doing it but its the safe way. The combo guy who is having the egress problem doesnt want to look bad and get managements attention with the buzzer going off.

Its funny, egress problems dont get managements attention but when a stupid buzzer goes off saying a chute is full then management is right on top of it.

I like danny advice the problem is, I only see the guys egress problems on break or when i go to the bathroom which is out of my work area. Being how sneaky ups is, if i left my work area to go help him clean up his egress, they would most likely try to get me with some kind of leaving the job or some kind of crap like that.

If you feel you can't help out someone near you then thats a problem management has created.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Stew

Tie has a hard time with understanding what some management is like elsewhere. He is a decent person, usually:wink2: as long as there is not a dill somewhere.

The issues lies with management that is only interested in getting the flow out of the building and into the trucks all within 3 hours or so.

As a steward in your building, you are in a position to change things. get with your business agent to make sure you are not sticking your neck out without his support (yes, there are some business agents that are a rubber stamp for the company). IF he does not support you, then go to the national.

You cant change UPS worldwide, but you can change your little part of it.

d

drewed

Shankman
The first thing you should do is bring it to the attention of the worker, because unless the supervisor is standing there next to you, your leaving a unsafe enviroment to tell a supervisor about it, the here and now safety should take precedent over the underlying issue. Not saying the underlying issue doesnt need to be fixed but the direct safety of your coworkers should be the first concern.

tieguy

Banned
Stew

Tie has a hard time with understanding what some management is like elsewhere. He is a decent person, usually:wink2: as long as there is not a dill somewhere.

The issues lies with management that is only interested in getting the flow out of the building and into the trucks all within 3 hours or so.

As a steward in your building, you are in a position to change things. get with your business agent to make sure you are not sticking your neck out without his support (yes, there are some business agents that are a rubber stamp for the company). IF he does not support you, then go to the national.

You cant change UPS worldwide, but you can change your little part of it.

d

Danny I appreciate the support but I'm not all that sheltered from reality.:happy-very:

I think I understand the egress issue pretty well. You start filing grievance on management for egress and their going to start hammering hourlys who they feel are not doing their job in keeping the aisles clean.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Danny I appreciate the support but I'm not all that sheltered from reality.:happy-very:

I think I understand the egress issue pretty well. You start filing grievance on management for egress and their going to start hammering hourlys who they feel are not doing their job in keeping the aisles clean.

God forbid we actually solve the problem...I guess its a lot easier (and cheaper) to just bust balls and pretend we are doing something about it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie

IF that is what it takes to have a safe work environment is to hammer some hourly's, then so be it.

But are you willing to see it go the other way and have to do a 2 million dollar retrofit on a building that is being used 150-200% beyond it's capacity, and that not even during peak?

There are thousands of MDC's in use that are way to small for the average cube package of today. There are hundreds of converted gas stations, beauty parlors, what ever UPS could buy cheap, that have been converted as cheaply as possible to distribute packages.

Then there are brand new buildings that were built to our specs that were woefully too small on the first day of use.

I understand not having a building that is not utilized fully. Its wasted money. But with the larger average cube size, extra weight limits, much of what we have is not up to the task. Nor is there money to upgrade or fix those issues.

So yes, I will be the first to admit, we do have lazy employees that do not care about safety. But we also have our share of plant issues that were not properly addressed early on either.

So tell you what, you get all over those lazy employees, and we will file to have the buildings remodeled to where issues like that dont continue to happen every day. And the flow down the belt where they are stacked 3 wide, two high without any room to sort, all because of no money for a wider belt, or more employees to help the guy sorting who also has three package cars to load.

Your call.

d