Safety Quizzes

aspenleaf

over9five ~ they do this stuff all the time to make us run late. We don't always have late air. But I get a huge shuttle stop at the end of my shift and for some reason if I don't load it the packages go to all my trucks. I even have a huge sign saying where my shuttle goes. I used to put the smalls in a bag but someone put in the wrong stuff so I was told I can't do that anymore! I have seen sups just toss shuttle stuff into my trucks and they even gave me a package that was not part of my shuttle. I guess I just don't trust anyone because when I get "help" I also get misloads. So I can't run late or my shuttle gets messed up. The quizzes can be done before the sort or after with better results. My drivers would disagree with staying late as they are usually the first ones to leave since I am wrapped up before they have thier PCM. She could print them out and let us (me) take them home but I guess we should be paid for our time in doing them. They are just a pain to do but I won't lose my job over them. I guess the world won't stop turning either so whatever they want will just have to work. I have to remind myself I get paid to load trucks not think! :tongue_sm Thanks for the input.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I cant discrimate, I have had mostly men loading and they've been awesome, although we have males who after five yrs on the same trucks still miss the count by 30 and mgmt accepts it and adds 30 to the count (when possible). If they need to bone someone they leave it alone and say "you only have (fill in the blank). But they have women like that too.
I have a girl now and she is very neat and articulate also, and although I find many misloads, I give her credit coz the day she started she never and still hasnt got any training. How she figured out the lip load, the arrows, writing on the boxes etc, she did all on her own. She also didnt have any charts...........
Basically it is your ability to adapt, and self teach by listening to those who try to help and you trust. Like those who are doing it, and offer their knowledge.

trickpony1

Aspen,

"So I can't run late or my shuttle gets messed up". I agree with over9five, that's not your problem. don't make it your problem.
The only stress you have is the stress you put on yourself.
Management loves it when they see you down the belt pulling your hair out and then going home all torn up inside. They just kick back and laugh.

Once again, don't throw your pearls before swine.

aspenleaf

trikpony ~ If it gets messed up then I get dinged for misloads...I don't need that stress! So what do you suggest? Also, I have never gone home all torn up inside. Goodness, we are just talking about packages. Just becasue I like them to be on the right trucks does not mean I get stressed out about them. I go home laughing with my other preloaders or we go out for very early drinks on Friday!

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Its important we pick the busiest time of day to administer the safety quizzes to show that we value safety over operational production

Soon we will have mobile laptop units stopping our drivers at 10.25 am to administer their quizzes. :wink:

aspenleaf

tieguy ~ I actually can see the safety lady in a mobile unit hunting down drivers to do this! Get them before the customer can sign for a package. :wink:

DS

Fenderbender
maybe it should be an option in the new diad
other work
emergency conditions
compulsary 10:25 AM quiz
start 00:00 end 00:00
Txt msg. All time commits are in effect,air meet points will be text messaged .Don`t be late ...
do you have a pkg for 1853 west 24th street?
remove the cod tag from the pkg ending in 8876 and deliver as paid
pls make a 2nd attempt for 12 crystal crescent lady needs her prescription
call the center ASAP
me hey whats up...you got an answer wrong in the quiz...I`ll be riding with you 3 days to retrain you.
remember if you bring in 2 sales leads you get 2 free burgers and a pop at the barbeque tonight...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
over9five said:
"Its important we pick the busiest time of day..."

See???? Now that makes sense!

Yes, they like to see how safe we are when working under the most stress!:w00t:

mrbill

There is a person in charge of moving the work from car to car.In our building it is the same person that looped the routes.At this point does any more have to be SAID:confused:1

tieguy

Banned
double_standard said:
maybe it should be an option in the new diad
other work
emergency conditions
compulsary 10:25 AM quiz
start 00:00 end 00:00
Txt msg. All time commits are in effect,air meet points will be text messaged .Don`t be late ...
do you have a pkg for 1853 west 24th street?
pls make a 2nd attempt for 12 crystal crescent lady needs her prescription
call the center ASAP
me hey whats up...you got an answer wrong in the quiz...I`ll be riding with you 3 days to retrain you.
remember if you bring in 2 sales leads you get 2 free burgers and a pop at the barbeque tonight...

roflmao hope it has not gotten that bad . :lol:

old levi's

blank space
double_standard said:

Hey double standard, You can't be serious! If a COD pkg. is on my truck theres only 3 ways its going to leave my truck.
1) NI 3
2) NM 3
3) Check/Money Order in my hand

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
we were told, not that it matters as everything differs everywhere, no more faxing with a letter head of the shipper, to release the COD. And I would never take a text msg to release a cod, I just say pay or it goes back, you can divvy up with your shipper later. It says I need a check, I need it or you cannot have it, and sorry it was you shippers error, not mine. No I dont need to wait while you call them, nothing will change the fact. I can come back tomorrow (if its the 1st or 2nd attempt), or I can hold it at the building. cya have a great day.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
toonertoo said:
we were told, not that it matters as everything differs everywhere, no more faxing with a letter head of the shipper, to release the COD. And I would never take a text msg to release a cod, I just say pay or it goes back, you can divvy up with your shipper later. It says I need a check, I need it or you cannot have it, and sorry it was you shippers error, not mine. No I dont need to wait while you call them, nothing will change the fact. I can come back tomorrow (if its the 1st or 2nd attempt), or I can hold it at the building. cya have a great day.
:thumbup1: Amen to that, Sister

Hangingon

All these safety quizzes we have to answer correctly, but in real life.. lets see. 2 weeks ago I had a package leaking on area with unknown contents. I was told to bag it and drop it off at the clerk when I came in that night. A few nights ago I was working preload to help out and we had an emergency where I had to shut down and lock the belt. I came back after helping fix the problem to see that my sup had unlocked the belt himself and almost turned it on before we were all out from under it. Do supervisors ever take these tests?

DS

Fenderbender
OK I gotta clear sometning up here about C.O.D. tags.Up here in Canada,anyone that buys something on the internet from the USA or anywhere in the world,has to pay a brokerage fee that UPS sets.
It is a total cash grab and they should be ashamed of it.If someone here buys a $15.00 video game on ebay,us drivers have to collect the brokerage charges and duty sales tax and GST,which usually is about the same price of the item they bought.If I leave an info notice they can call the 1-800 number and pay by credit card .Which is a good thing.What customers dont know,or are not told,is that if they use the premium services,3 day select,expedited,or express,the brokerage charges are included in the shipping charges,except for GST,and duty if applicable.
I constantly have problems with charges for crap like a woman left her coat at her moms in florida and they want $38 to deliver it,someone sends thier hard drive for repair to california and they want $29...worst part is most people just pay it and say nothing.I often inform them that if they use the usps,there is a flat $5 charge no matter what they send.

mrbill

Same here!!!!!!!!
DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO.
They are not in the car with the spill!!
Remember when all the white powder was being found in packages "everywhere"? We had a PCM with a UPS big shot and asked what can we do to protect our selves? He said to wash your hands alot.

SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!