Satellite TV or Cable? A non-poll, poll

705red

Browncafe Steward
DirectTv for 14 years now. No reception problems short of a Cat5 hurricane. From the sound of it some of the fellow dtv`ers might want to check the alignment on their dishes.
The negatives for me are only being able to watch whats recorded on a dvr on that tv,no ability to transfer recordings from room to room. Also the dvr`s I have don`t have HDMI outputs. My sister is getting U-Verse from AT&T so I`ll check it out as a possibility when my DTV contract is up.
Cach both of my hd receivers have hdmi outputs on them, just call them up and they should send you new ones. I got them a little over a year ago.

rod

Retired 22 years
DirectTV for me -from way back when you could cheat the system and get ALL the channels for only the cost of a Basic hookup (aw- those were the days).:peaceful: There was one time when the dish got plugged up with HEAVY wet snow that we lost the picture until I went up on the roof and cleaned it out. I don't imagine that would be a major source of trouble in Florida. Other than that you may lose the picture if you have a VERY heavy rain storm-- but only for a couple of minutes. I've never had to have a service call.

beentheredonethat

I have the Dish Network and have been pleased with their service. The quality of the signal is great. Only rarely on real bad thunderstorms do I lose my signal. I had an uncle who started with Direct TV and was upset since they pulled a bait and switch on him. I defiintely recomend the Dish Network.

wornoutupser

Hey Steve!

I live in Central Florida and I have neither a dish nor cable. I have an antenna on a tower!

I get a perfect digital picture for free and I get 55 channels. Maybe you want to try that!

Last edited:

33in2togo

Cablevision for phone, internet and HD cable. $135 per month. All is good except the owner is a Dolan who owns the horrendous knicks and under achieving Rangers. Had Direct Tv. Great for NFL ticket but lost reception too often. Missed the Giants botched playoff field goal against the Niners a few years ago and switched to cable the following week.

upsdude

Cox for Internet and cable. Phone via Magic Jack, I hate it, wife likes it so it stays.

No problems at all with Cox.

My mom has Direct TV, she lives 3 miles past the end of the world. Slight rain, no signal.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We live in So Cal and use cox cable for our home isp, tv and phone. They offer a package price for all of those services. Over the 15 years + we've been with them they have really improved. In the early years we had gone through periods of very poor internet service etc but they seem to have worked most of the bugs out the last couple of years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have Charter HD cable and high speed internet. I live in a condo and satellite TV is not an option as the units are all pre-wired for cable and the dish installer would have to run his own wires. We are also not allowed to mount the dish so that it is visible and that is where the best signal would be so I will stick with cable. $120/month for HD cable and high speed internet.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We've got hdtv cable tv, internet and phone. It works fine, has greatly improved over the years.

Some of our neighbors have satellite tv and/or dsl and like the service.

Maybe you should figure out which is the best value in your area...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Since we moved in August we upgraded our Directv to the phone, internet and TV pkg. This has since proven to be the biggest scam. Since they are still "seperate" companies, they bill seperately. Our bill is supposed to be $129 a month and just this month I received a bill from DTV for $129 and the phone bill is $102. Now when I call DTV to find out what the prob is, they say to call the phone co. and visa versa. I've been getting this run around for 3 months and I'm done. I think I'm going to disconnect the DTV and call cable.:angry:

klein

Für Meno :)
I had Satellite before. It can get frustrasting, when you lose the signal during a movie or a game, and miss the last 15 minutes of it.
Same here now, all bundeled, HD cable, highspeed internet, and unlimted long distance.
Cheapest way to go, (discounts, and all in 1 bill).

moreluck

golden ticket member
Basic cable & internet = $103

A.T.& T. (for over 40 years) less than $30 a month

I think I'm doing OK with those services. :happy2:

rod

Retired 22 years
Quest land line (call waiting- messages- caller ID that shows up on the TV)

High speed internet (1.5 Mpbs) fast enough for what I need

Direct TV (Choice extra pkg)

bundled- all for $113 a mo. 1st year ----$128.36 a month after that. (supposedly locked in at that price forever-we'll see)

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Cable all the way for TV and internet. Only problem I had was when some bone head cut the cable with a track hoe. The cable company was out to the house in an hour, and fixed the problem.

over9five

Staff member
We've changed phone services sooo many times. We all have cells, so we canceled land line....

Oh, but cell at our house is either unreliable, or just plain sucks.

So we tried internet phone. That sucked too.

Now we're back to we all have cells.....plus a land line. Sorry, but I'll pay for a land line to have reliable service at home.