Save our sausages- muscians again march in mass to save the world

tieguy

Banned
On a lighter note I am sitting here watching an awesome performance by pink floyd as a blow up pig with save our sausages written on it floats around in the crowd. Muscians again performing en mass around the world to save our environment and to save us from our polluting wasteful , global warming ways.

And somehow through it all we will be led to save the world from ourselves.:thumbup1:

area43

On a lighter note I am sitting here watching an awesome performance by pink floyd as a blow up pig with save our sausages written on it floats around in the crowd. Muscians again performing en mass around the world to save our environment and to save us from our polluting wasteful , global warming ways.

And somehow through it all we will be led to save the world from ourselves.:thumbup1:

Makes me feel like going to IHOP. mmmmmm, I can smell that bacon, now. ( :

moreluck

golden ticket member
Area43....next time you go to IHOP at a non-breakfast time.....try the chicken florentine crepes.....they are yummy!!!

satellitedriver

Floyd, still love em and I don't mean Andy's barber.
The thought that occurred to me while watching the world wide green show was how much electricity was been used. Coal fired plants were probably running at full capacity around the world just to push the amplifiers, not to mention all the jet fuel to ferry around all the rock stars. People in the audience drove there in cars. The carbon foot print of this eco-friendly concert would probably give Al Gore a reason to make another movie.
As much as I like Pink Floyd, two sausages and two eggs are going to sacrificed by me tomorrow morning.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Floyd, still love em and I don't mean Andy's barber.
The thought that occurred to me while watching the world wide green show was how much electricity was been used. Coal fired plants were probably running at full capacity around the world just to push the amplifiers, not to mention all the jet fuel to ferry around all the rock stars. People in the audience drove there in cars. The carbon foot print of this eco-friendly concert would probably give Al Gore a reason to make another movie.
As much as I like Pink Floyd, two sausages and two eggs are going to sacrificed by me tomorrow morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=466775&in_page_id=1879

This might give you an idea. I love the "Do as I say, not as I do" mantra silly celebs take on. "Don't drive that gas guzzling SUV" shouts Babs as she climbs aboard her new Gulfstream jet.

wkmac

Shucks, hate I missed Floyd :crying: Thank God for You Tube!

Harry,
You didn't miss Floyd. It was just Roger Waters doing his solo thingy he's been doing for years. It was pretty much a run through of some DarkSide of the Moon and The Wall material. If you want to see Pink Floyd in their heyday IMO get the DVD "Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii" which was filmed in 1972' just before they toured in support of their Meddle album which happens to be one of my favs. along with Atom Heart Mother. Nothing like live Echoes, Astronomy Domine, Careful With That Axe Eugene and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Classic Floyd. I saw this same show live in the summer of 72' and of the several live Floyd shows I've seen it was still the best IMO.

RIP Syd Barrett

Sammie

Hopefully! If you disregard tidbits like Al Gore's son, who was busted for driving his Prius over 100 mph. Wonder if Dad gave him any pre-purchased carbon credits for that one...

Or Julia Roberts, who owns a Toyota Prius, but travels by private jet from Chicago to Los Angeles, at 2,100 gallons of fuel a trip.

Or George Clooney, who owns a Tango electric minicar, which gets 135 miles on a full battery. But who's private jet trips to Tokyo uses 7,000 gallons of fuel a pop.

Natalie Portman, Clint Eastwood, and Alicia Silverstone, with personal chefs at their beck and call, can easily endorse food and clothing free of animal products. IMO, the vegan lifestyle is becoming one more trend in the world of luxury commodities.

God help us folks who can't afford free-range chicken, who aren't financially comfortable enough to do our weekly shopping at Whole Foods (which should be renamed Whole Paycheck), and who haven't the time or energy to devote to veganism or alternative energies - which is what, 2/3% of Americans? Hope we don't ever begin to resent a smugly environmental upper-class...:bored:

wkmac

That's what I always admired about the late Dennis Weaver. He wasn't preachy and realized the limitations of the average folk. Dennis' approach was to educate people first but then show them alternative ways of enviro living that was more labor intensive that $$$$ intensive. The ram earth concept of construction was built on 2 principles not directly related to money. The first principle was to gather discarded old tires which at the time were everywhere for free or soda and beer cans which were also free to have. All one needed to do was provide the labor to get these items. The second principle was then to use human labor and this generally was suggested where groups of folks get together for like a barn raising and everyone work on everyone's home. This turned labor itself into a commodity or a form of money itself so that the mechanism of exchange was not dollars that you had to go out and get from other sources but rather something you already had. It was the concept of neighbor helping neighbor.

I guess some might consider it rather utopian but for 1000's of years man had already done this so it wasn't like Dennis and others were trying to reinvent the wheel. It was a way to make a difference using mostly what you already had.

Where a lot of the so-called stars of today come across as so in-sincere is late they appear to say one thing and do another. Sure they drive some hybrid getting 60 mpg but regardless of the size of the jet or private or commerical, how many live in 10k, 15k or even 20k square foot homes with only themselves and another spouse, partner or whatever they want to call it and all that energy to heat and cool the place and keep it lit. Since many live in sunny southern Cal. they could incorporate solar panels or even wind generators into the mix but I'll bet you many live in communities that by law ban such devices for appearance reasons. Again, they come across as being 2 faced.

2 other actors who do live the lifestyle and show it can be done are Ed Begley Jr. and Darrall Hanna. When they speak like with Dennis Weaver, I do listen.

These big live concerts IMO are generally overblown and are more hype than anything else. I think mostly it comes down to someone making a $$$ and musicians getting some PR for their careers. Outside of that, it's a waste of good wattage IMO.
:wink:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Live Earth draws lackluster TV ratings
By Steve Gorman1 hour, 22 minutes ago

The globe-spanning Live Earth pop music extravaganza fell flat for television viewers in the United States and Britain, drawing far smaller audiences than the Princess Diana tribute concert a week earlier.
The main three-hour American TV broadcast on NBC averaged a meager 2.7 million viewers, ranking as the least-watched U.S. program on Saturday night and falling below NBC's summer prime-time Saturday average, Nielsen Media Research reported on Monday.
Even rival network ABC's rerun telecast of the animated film "Monsters Inc" garnered a bigger audience -- 3.3 million viewers. The most watched show of the evening was the CBS news magazine "48 Hours" with 6.5 million viewers.
By comparison, NBC, a unit of General Electric Co., averaged 8.8 million viewers with its hour-long broadcast of the memorial concert for the late Princess Diana the previous Sunday.
It was the same story in Britain, where BBC One coverage of the Live Earth climax at London's Wembley Stadium, leading up to Madonna's eagerly awaited finale, averaged 3.1 million viewers, compared with 11.4 million for the Diana tribute.
In Germany, the ProSieben network registered 1 million viewers for its Live Earth telecast, accounting for a relatively healthy 6.3 percent market share.
Nielsen later reported that 19 million people watched some portion of Live Earth coverage on NBC or its sister networks, including Bravo and CNBC. But that figure counts anyone who watched for at least six minutes and is thus considered a less meaningful audience measure than average viewership.
Still, the overall numbers amounted to a small fraction of the 2 billion people that Live Earth organizers had hoped to reach through TV, radio and Internet coverage of the event, spearheaded by former U.S. Vice President Al Gore to raise awareness of global warming.
It appeared the Internet was the medium of choice for fans wishing to experience a worldwide music event from afar.
Microsoft Corp.'s Web portal MSN said on Saturday that Live Earth concerts generated more than 9 million Internet streams, the most for an online entertainment event.
That number surpassed the previous record held by the 2005 Live 8 concerts to fight global poverty, MSN said. ABC's Live 8 telecast, which also fell on a Saturday night in July, averaged 2.9 million viewers.

Sammie

That's what I always admired about the late Dennis Weaver. He wasn't preachy and realized the limitations of the average folk. Dennis' approach was to educate people first but then show them alternative ways of enviro living that was more labor intensive that $$$$ intensive. The ram earth concept of construction was built on 2 principles not directly related to money. The first principle was to gather discarded old tires which at the time were everywhere for free or soda and beer cans which were also free to have.

I guess some might consider it rather utopian but for 1000's of years man had already done this so it wasn't like Dennis and others were trying to reinvent the wheel. It was a way to make a difference using mostly what you already had.

:wink:

I agree. Dennis's house is about 4 hours from here. He was touting the theme of recycling long before anybody else was, as I recall. People here thought it loony for a wealthy actor to build a house made of tires, aluminum cans and recycled materials.

But that house is gorgeous. The guy was definitely ahead of his time! :thumbup: