Say Bye Bye to Amazon

Nolimitz

• clear.png
    Old x 1
  • List
Zero Amazon came into our express station this am. Sr mentioned a loss of 1300 daily stops if continues. this aint a holiday deal

bacha29

I don't think the decision by Bezos to haul his own junk will have that much of an impact on the Big 3 provided that he takes all of it not just the easy in town stuff then expect the same discounted rate for his boonie boxes. Now if he decides to become a common carrier and haul for everybody that could hurt but I think it's a headache he doesn't want or need.

fdxsux

We were told that as of Memorial Day we should prepare for up to a 25% decrease in our freight. We are a small station that delivers a lot of Amazon. We’ve had almost no Amazon this week.

dmac1

I don't think the decision by Bezos to haul his own junk will have that much of an impact on the Big 3 provided that he takes all of it not just the easy in town stuff then expect the same discounted rate for his boonie boxes. Now if he decides to become a common carrier and haul for everybody that could hurt but I think it's a headache he doesn't want or need.

The truth is that Amazon packages move at least twice- Once when picked up, and once when delivered. You know that if Amazon is delivering packages to customers with their own ADPs, eventually they will be doing pickups too. And currently, small shippers are using the 'big three' So it isn't just final deliveries to residences that will drop. The potential is for equal drops in Ground pickups and fewer packages for line-haul. I already see lots of Amazon marked 53 foot vans going down the roads.

You can expect small shipper sends package directly to local Amazon warehouse via Amazon driver instead of fedex, then ships to end warehouse via Amazon instead of fedex, then to final customer via Amazon instead of fedex. That has to save a lot of money vs paying another company especially if Amazon can accept a lower profit on transport because they are also making a profit on the sale of the item. May only save a quarter per package, but multiply that by millions of packages, 3 million per day, and real money starts adding up for Bezos to pay alimony. Than add in another 25 cents saved on pickup and linehaul combined, and you are suddenly at a half billion per year in extra profit, with fedex losing a portion of that.

HedleyLamarr

Amazon started deliveries in my area just before Thanksgiving, and our stop counts are up 4% so far this year. Managers at my station are cutting out some new 4×10 routes in heavy areas. So far, Amazon has had no impact here. But I have enjoyed seeing them leave there drivers door wide open with engine running while making a delivery.

What is the deal with AMZ volume at Express?

For the last two months, they flooded us (incl. SAT) and as of today, we saw a 90% DECREASE in AMZ inbound to our station.

Any ideas?

SmithBarney

I don't know if it's amazon or not(we still have plenty of AMZ) but we are running almost peak numbers in our area, and have added permanent extra routes to each loop.

Star B

White Lightening
I didn't deliver any noticable amzn on the super-extended route I was covering. Normally it always has a bunch on it. It was busy without it. It was very nice because it got rid of all the dumb-a runners it brought and gave me nice density.

I don't know if it's amazon or not(we still have plenty of AMZ) but we are running almost peak numbers in our area, and have added permanent extra routes to each loop.
We haven't ended peak and it's wearing the morale thin.

It will be fine

No amazon yesterday or today for our station. Heard they have it to ground.
As they build out more and more distribution centers and their own air network it continues to be easier for them to get 2 day delivery in the Ground network. That wouldn’t account for a sudden decrease but it is a trend that I imagine will continue.