Scott makes more than Mike

pretzel_man

Then I need an explanation(not necessarily from you) of how they think we can maintain service with routes being cut and consolidated. When that happens the service level is bound to drop, history proves that is true.

First, if we have a 5% drop in volume, you would expect a 5% drop in drivers.

The loss of volume on a route needs to be replaced with more stops They need to be appropriate stops (more on that later).

Next, in order to reduce cost we need to go back to the basics. The key is to look for inefficiencies. Its clear that there are a lot.

If you spend 20 minutes sorting your load that's time that could have been spent delivering. Working on the trace and with the preload is required to fix that inefficiency.

Then there's miles. A better trace, and better dispatch can reduce miles. Putting the right stops on the right car, in the right place can reduce the miles (and therefore time) that it takes to deliver a route.

If time or miles is reduced on a route, it should be replaced with more stops. Doing this properly across a center ends up with less drivers. That's the way the process works. Its a matter of going back to the basics. History proves that true.

You are right however. If management just reduces routes without putting the right stops on the right cars we could hurt both cost and service.

P-Man

Not always. A 5% drop in the national average may not equate to a 5% drop in Somewhereville, Tx. Cutting 5% of the drivers there will create a disaster. Unfortunately this is what happens.

The loss of volume on a route needs to be replaced with more stops They need to be appropriate stops (more on that later).

Again, not always. Way too many routes have been going out with 10+ hour days, a little drop in volume might get a given route to where it should be. No added stops required.

Next, in order to reduce cost we need to go back to the basics. The key is to look for inefficiencies. Its clear that there are a lot.
True but this needs to be done as needed, not just a shotgun approach, which is what happens.

If you spend 20 minutes sorting your load that's time that could have been spent delivering. Working on the trace and with the preload is required to fix that inefficiency.
Pray tell, when is this supposed to take place? And what will convince me that anyone will listen to what I have to say? In 20 years of driving, it hasn't happened yet.

Then there's miles. A better trace, and better dispatch can reduce miles. Putting the right stops on the right car, in the right place can reduce the miles (and therefore time) that it takes to deliver a route.
You could teach our staff a few things, maybe, no one else has been able to thus far.

If time or miles is reduced on a route, it should be replaced with more stops. Doing this properly across a center ends up with less drivers. That's the way the process works. Its a matter of going back to the basics. History proves that true.
What history proves is that for way too long, most routes are leaving the building with more than 9.5 hours of work, when drivers don't want or need to work that many hours. Another thing history proves is that when a persons body is pushed to near exhaustion, many things can happen and most of them are not good.

You are right however. If management just reduces routes without putting the right stops on the right cars we could hurt both cost and service.
Thank you, see I knew you were smart....lol

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
First, service is currently at our highest levels ever. This is across all business units and offerings. A lot to be proud of, but we need to maintain service.

Scott Davis explained that we need to keep service high AND reduce cost.

He said that if we reduce service, we will lose market share. Customers will leave.

He said that if we don't reduce cost, we lose margin. We lose operating leverage.

The need to maintain cost AND service is not new to us. Casey said that we need to take care of the shareholders because they give us our jobs.

We need to stop thinking of this as if its one or the other.

P-Man
I agree with you P-man, with one exception. I don't think the service is as good as it could be, simply because we as drivers aren't given the time to take care of the customers. I don't have anything against cutting costs if it is done in the right way. Service should maintained first and foremost though. There isn't any amount of cost cutting that will help if we don't have the customers to service.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
P-man, if your theory (or maybe it's not theory) is true then we should have had a 1.2 drop. 1 driver, yet we had 2 rtes dissolved. 1 rte was a rte that handles an avg of 500+ pcs 3 out of 5 days a week.
The loss of volume does not necessarily mean a loss in stops. I am not arguing that we have less volume, I am saying that here are stop counts are not down 5%.
Yes!
PAS should go along ways in helping this issue.
But you have to admit that in some cases it adds many more miles to other rtes. Yes it is doing away with the mileage of 1 truck but it is adding miles to 2 or 3 and in our case 4 other rtes.
Properly is a powerful word.

P-Man

And my rebuttal just went flying out the window with your last staement. LOL :wink2: Oh well, I will let it stand, and let you know that I see you are aware of the issues that I have just pointed out. :peaceful:

rocket man

I hope his pay goes up next year. To me that means no lay offs and we will still be bustin our ass BUT we all should be working.

airbusfxr

Grade 20s rake in the money no matter what they contribute. Pilots, drivers, mechanics, loaders, porters etc etc will make money for grade 20s to rake in. Now we as these employees, are going above the call of duty to make UPS money and they will squander it anyway they want. We have all witnessed these bad calls for years, the fact is "UPS steps over a dollar to pick up a penny". No matter how much we make they will no manage it. This is a fact, and 5.2 million for the top dog is way to much.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Grade 20s rake in the money no matter what they contribute. Pilots, drivers, mechanics, loaders, porters etc etc will make money for grade 20s to rake in. Now we as these employees, are going above the call of duty to make UPS money and they will squander it anyway they want. We have all witnessed these bad calls for years, the fact is "UPS steps over a dollar to pick up a penny". No matter how much we make they will no manage it. This is a fact, and 5.2 million for the top dog is way to much.

Amusing as usual ... I always enjoy your posts :funny:

drewed

Shankman
As compared to the 10 that Fred S makes? But thats ok because hes hiring AMTs and cut management salary right?

smokey

how about increasing/controlling RCI..as we all know the main determining factor at the center level, before jobs get cut/laid off... gulp

hoaxter/p-man explain RCI

UPS Lifer

This was always a pet-peeve of mine when I was working.

For management, if you are at the top of your pay range your % of increase is usually less than most of the others in your pay range and you hear "Well you are at the top so I can't give you anymore" Do ya really think I bought that one! ... Especially when you hear that the CEO's salary is increasing by 8% to 15% in the same year.

It is a flaw in the system. Salary ranges hurt the people who are at the top of the range. The only other way to make more money is get promoted to the next salary range. This is not always doable or under your control OR you may not want that. Now you might say that these people are at the top of the range and they are making more. What I say is that a person at the top of the range got there for a reason and they shouldn't be denied the same % increase than the new or less experienced manager just because they make more.

This was one of the reasons that I didn't want to know what others were making or even what % increase they got. It doesn't have any positive affect.

Hawk780

No One in Particular

P-Man

Good points here, I think what the rebuttals are missing is that this is high level analysis. Yes, every point here could be refuted based on any single situation, but as a bird's eye view, this is very logical.

InTheRed

What I'd like to clarify in my previous posts about the greater than 1.5 over allowed was that I stated the cover drivers (not the run-and-gunners) are able to do the same route scratch to 0.5 over allowed. I obviously know that not every route has the correct time study applied to it.

Please take the time to read my post before bashing me for it.

Sammie

UPS didn't get any bailout money so I guess they can pay him what they want!

Yo Scotty, among other things, serves as deputy chairman of the board of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, one of twelve regional Reserve Banks in the U.S that make up the Federal Reserve System.

And as we all know, Mr. Fox Guarding the Hen House Geithner is currently playing patty fingers with the Federal Reserve System, which will double it's own balance sheet with this latest trillion bucks.

Overspending, overborrowing. Subprime cesspools. Millions of mortgages to be reset. Dollar down, cost of living up. Wages, savings, stocks and home prices are tanked.

Yepper, Scotty from this screw fest is the guy we want running the show around here!!!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Can't we all just get along.~~~all great replies to this thread. We should all just flip flop jobs for about a week so mgtmt can see who really does the work. just load it and deliver it.:peaceful:

Remember a lot of management did do our jobs, and could not do them anymore, and this is why they went in to management. I could do their jobs! Just throw 300 to 400 packages in an 8 cube and hope to hell it gets delivered! Piece of cake!

First, service is currently at our highest levels ever. This is across all business units and offerings. A lot to be proud of, but we need to maintain service.

Scott Davis explained that we need to keep service high AND reduce cost.

He said that if we reduce service, we will lose market share. Customers will leave.

He said that if we don't reduce cost, we lose margin. We lose operating leverage.

The need to maintain cost AND service is not new to us. Casey said that we need to take care of the shareholders because they give us our jobs.

We need to stop thinking of this as if its one or the other.

P-Man
We are dealing with this right now. Every air driver in the morning has been laid off! Now all the airs are put back on package car drivers, fine!

I couldn't deliver any grounds until after 1030 today and at 130 when i stopped for lunch and had 10 business stops left for 50 pieces and no time to finish deliveries, i just sent in an ods and enjoyed my lunch!

I refused to apologize to customers today because i couldn't deliver airs and grounds together, and even when i was delivering grounds to them well over an hour later then they are used to. I explained that i have more work and it might be this way for a while. Even gave the 800 number to a couple, and i hope they call!

We own the small package business in this industrial park! Because we can usually deliver all airs and grounds together and we pick everything up. Unlike fedex who will have several different drivers in the same area. When we stop providing this service fedex will gain some market share!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We've never had air drivers except in an emergency. The way you describe your route in the morn is my life. It is really nice when you leave the building at 9:10 and your route is 30 minutes away.