Seasonal Preloader; day job requiring me to leave town for a week

Brown_and_Yellow

So I recently started as a seasonal preloader. I arrive on time every day and work hard. I split at the front of the belt and load two trucks.

My day job just informed me that they need me to travel for work for a week later this month. This is highly unusual, a one-off training thing, and won't be repeated.

How should I address this with my supervisor? I like the UPS job and all indications are that I'd be kept on in January given my work ethic and desire to make preloading a long-term second job. I could push back against my day job employer, but at best, might be able to postpone my trip until January after UPS rush reason is over.

How likely is it that I'd be jeopardizing my long-term opportunity at UPS if I had to leave town for a week during season (with the understanding it wouldn't happen again)?

JustDeliverIt

So I recently started as a seasonal preloader. I arrive on time every day and work hard. I split at the front of the belt and load two trucks.

My day job just informed me that they need me to travel for work for a week later this month. This is highly unusual, a one-off training thing, and won't be repeated.

How should I address this with my supervisor? I like the UPS job and all indications are that I'd be kept on in January given my work ethic and desire to make preloading a long-term second job. I could push back against my day job employer, but at best, might be able to postpone my trip until January after UPS rush reason is over.

How likely is it that I'd be jeopardizing my long-term opportunity at UPS if I had to leave town for a week during season (with the understanding it wouldn't happen again)?

Explain the situation to your supe. You didn't know about it and it's your full time job. Don't put it off for UPS. They might try to be a hard ass but at the same time they need people WAY more than they will ever let on. As long as your up front about the situation and it's still in November, shouldn't be a huge issue.

RTCD

If there is any way that you can postpone the trip until after the first of the year that would help all involved.
Terrible advice to a seasonal preloader. Your full time job is your only concern. Be honest with your sup, tell him you’ll be out of town for a week and will report to preload as soon as you are back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Terrible advice to a seasonal preloader. Your full time job is your only concern. Be honest with your sup, tell him you’ll be out of town for a week and will report to preload as soon as you are back.

...and the sup will thank him for his help thus far and wish him well in his future endeavours...

KoennenTiger

You only load two trucks? I loaded four trucks for years. The norm is three trucks. They let me load two trucks while helping out this sheer winner who couldn't actually open his half closed eyes, going to college for a degree in entrepreneurship he told me, for a month. My drivers loved me told me they had never had a perfect load before.

Meanwhile my current preloader can't even get the boxes on the right shelves. I got to run my route twice now.

Thanks for the overtime preload

OKLABob

I would wait till January till they hire you on and just let them know chances are if you leave now they will replace you while your gone. UPS has to be #1 priority this time of year hope this helps.

UPS4E

Depends on what he’s wanting to do in the future obviously his FT job doesn’t pay enough or he wouldn’t be working 2 jobs. So you tell me old man.
Or maybe he just need both jobs to make ends meet.
or just for extra holiday cash. Either way. Full time job always comes first. If your good enough they’ll let you go.