Section 230 - ERODING AMERICANS' FREEDOMS AND RIGHTS WHILE PROMOTING ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Section 230 sits at the heart of a major question about the modern Internet:
How much responsibility should fall to online platforms for how their users act and get treated?

No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information

provided by another information content provider. 47 U.S. Code § 230

Section 230 lives inside the Communications Decency Act of 1996, and it gives websites broad legal immunity: With some exceptions, online platforms can't be sued for something posted by a user — and that remains true even if they act a little like publishers, by moderating posts or setting specific standards.

Section 230 protects some of the darkest corners of the Web.
Most egregiously, the law has been used to defend Backpage.com, a website featuring ads for sex with children forced into prostitution.
Over the years, victims and their families brought case after case against Backpage — and lost. The website kept convincing judges across the country that Section 230 shielded it from liability for the posts of its users.
Major digital-rights groups, including the Center for Democracy and Technology, argued that holding Backpage liable could have chilling effects for social media and other websites.

In 2017, the Supreme Court declined to hear victims' appeal in the case of Backpage and Section 230.

1602783810952.png

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
A 1996 law, Section 230, protects some of the darkest corners of the Web.
Most egregiously, the law has been used to defend Backpage.com, a website featuring ads for sex with children forced into prostitution.
Yeah but when twitter starts taking sides they become a publisher of content and lose those 230 protections.
One can certainly argue that ... a Law updating Section 230 would make it more decisive!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Election interference.
Throw the book at Twitter and FaceBook.
I know of one guy who keeps being put into FB Jail and he's anti-Trumper.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Twitter says they removed the New York Post article because it's "hacked material". So they're basically saying the material is true and it is in fact Hunter Biden's emails documenting the Biden family's corruption.

Yet the mainstream leftist media is trying to claim it's actually just Russian disinformation.

It can't be both, so which is it, hacked material or Russian disinformation?

Of course it's neither.
Joe Biden and his family are corrupt and need to be rejected by the American voters.

Jiangshi

Heavily Moderated User, Loves Sailfish
I wonder if this is behind recent actions on this site? Bold is mine.

Barrett referenced an exit ramp the Supreme Court has that would allow it to avoid the big legal question over the scope of Section 230.

She pointed to the tech case the court will hear Wednesday, in which the justices will consider whether an anti-terrorism law covers internet platforms for their failure to adequate remove terrorism-related conduct. The same law is being used by the plaintiffs to sue Google in Tuesday’s case.

“So if you lose tomorrow, do we even have to reach the Section 230 question here? Would you concede that you would lose on that ground here?” Barrett asked Schnapper.

Box Ox

I wonder if this is behind recent actions on this site? Bold is mine.

Barrett referenced an exit ramp the Supreme Court has that would allow it to avoid the big legal question over the scope of Section 230.

She pointed to the tech case the court will hear Wednesday, in which the justices will consider whether an anti-terrorism law covers internet platforms for their failure to adequate remove terrorism-related conduct. The same law is being used by the plaintiffs to sue Google in Tuesday’s case.

“So if you lose tomorrow, do we even have to reach the Section 230 question here? Would you concede that you would lose on that ground here?” Barrett asked Schnapper.

I'm of the impression that it wouldn't make sense to keep Current Events open if Section 230 were overturned. Too much additional work that'd have to go into it. I'd love to be wrong.

100%

I'm of the impression that it wouldn't make sense to keep Current Events open if Section 230 were overturned. Too much additional work that'd have to go into it. I'd love to be wrong.
If censoring is what your for, you shouldn’t be up here anyways.

Box Ox

If censoring is what your for, you shouldn’t be up here anyways.

I'm not for censoring. I'm saying that per my limited understand of Section 230 it'd likely no longer be tenable for the volunteers who maintain this site to keep Current Events open if 230 were overturned and the forum had to be closely and constantly monitored for posts the site could be held liable for.