Seems UPS is the same everwhere

Jim Kemp

I am new to The Brown Cafe and I am just amazed to see that problems drivers are having in other parts of the country are the same where I am.
On all of the post I have read you could just change the names of the sup. or center mgr. and my name in the drivers spot and it would be my life at UPS.
Do they just clone the sups when the need a new one. Where do they learn their lines, from a script some where. If I snooped around a sups office would I find a "supervisor play book".
I am sure the book would have these favorites;

1."Call me later".
2."Just take out your load and I will send someone out to help".
3."I will get back with you on that".
4."20 Air and 30miles in 30 minutes, Is there a problem?"
5."They swing drivers do your route better("faster" in sup talk,never mind all the lost pkgs")than you do.
6."Looks like I going to need to ride with you"
7.Mesasage in diad "I am instructing you to do this" even tho you don't know who is sending you the message. My reply"Who is instructing me to do this dishonest thing. No reply to that!!!!!
8."Every pkg must be scaned every day no exception" later that same day i send in message "I have 5 off areas what should I do with them?" UNKNOWN sup in diad "bring them in but don't record them"
But you said???? "just do as you are told from UNKNOWN sup.

Feel free to add your favorites I could use the laugh.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My personal favorite is when they basically repeat what was said during the PCM via ODS throughout the day. Of course, rather than just putting the information out there, they make it "Response required". I simply respond "..", which is the "M" key pressed twice, and go about my business. There have been days when they have had both OMS clerks send out the same messages, once in the morning and then again in the afternoon, with both sets "Response required."

BCFan

:mad:How about this chestnut..... "Dont be over 9.5 and no missed pkgs!!!!" :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: BC (Not Beating Children)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
How about, "use security as a reason for late air" but when backed against a car, and saying OK you guys heard him say that, they found an air driver???? You cant deliver 15 when you get on area at 940......at least I cant! You cant deliver 15 when you get out of the building at 930 and it takes 14 minutes to get to area DUH. Yes it is the same everywhere, and until BROWNCAFE did anyone know that????

LKLND3380

How about, "use security as a reason for late air" but when backed against a car, and saying OK you guys heard him say that, they found an air driver???? You cant deliver 15 when you get on area at 940......at least I cant! You cant deliver 15 when you get out of the building at 930 and it takes 14 minutes to get to area DUH. Yes it is the same everywhere, and until BROWNCAFE did anyone know that????

Brown Cafe shows all UPSers they are not alone... I read on here about one center offering CD and DVD players to preloaders who could go a week without a missload. I told the preload supe this and he brougt our belt UPS tshirts and hats for going a week without a misload. Next day we had 10 misloads...:surprised:

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
When you ask a question and get the 1000 yard stare with no answer then they walk off:eek:
I get that one everytime I ask a question that I know the answer to and I know they don't want to admit it- Like " I won't be able to make all the air commits when we leave the bldg at 930, what do you want me to do?":whiteflag:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How about "Just make it happen". So I ask, exactly how do I "just make it happen", or "Can you tell me how to do this?" in an impossible situation. I never have got an answer to those two questions.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
How about "Just make it happen". So I ask, exactly how do I "just make it happen", or "Can you tell me how to do this?" in an impossible situation. I never have got an answer to those two questions.

I explain that I may not be able to make time commitments (in essence, covering MY rear-end). If I can't "make it happen" it is on them and not me. I'll give it my best effort but when it comes down to it, I put the ball in their court and let them make the decisions. I don't do this to be cute or show them up, I do it to cover myself.

haha,,,I love it when they say. " blah,blah,blah,blah,blah, NO EXCEPTIONS!", then someone ask, "what about blah,blah,?"... thier answer "Well, except that." it cracks me up.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Yes we all have to cya everyday everytime no matter what. They are the decision makers, they make that very clear, we are nothing but grunts, so make sure you put it on them, don't take it on yourself, it will only backfire everytime!!

:mad:How about this chestnut..... "Dont be over 9.5 and no missed pkgs!!!!" :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: BC (Not Beating Children)
That's usually when I call them and tell to make up their minds cuz today, they can't have both. I have X number of stops, X number of miles and there is no way I can get them all done and be in before 9.5, so now what? The yusually say to get finished an get in ASAP.

Yes we all have to cya everyday everytime no matter what. They are the decision makers, they make that very clear, we are nothing but grunts, so make sure you put it on them, don't take it on yourself, it will only backfire everytime!!
When I first started driving (nearly 20 years ago) they used to tell us to use our best judgment.Then after a couple of CMs, two district changes, no decision I ever made was good enough, so now I let THEM make all decisions.

outamyway

Mr.Ups says,"it's a mall push A."

Of course someone eventually asks why you had so many request late. You say "Mr.Ups told me to."

And of course Mr.Ups says, "no I didn't."

rod

Retired 22 years
We were always given the speech about how our center was the worst in the district or you were the worst driver in the center or the person that ran your route while you were on vacation did it so much faster. This was 30 plus years ago. For years we really had no other contact with other centers unless you knew someone who knew someone that worked in a different center. You did have the "feeder rumors" but after awhile you didn't believe any of those because most of them turned out to be bs. When the internet (Brown Cafe) came along it didn't take long to realize this was the same speech given to all drivers.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
A couple of years ago we got a new Center Manager that told us do things the right way! I think it was about the time we started getting Early AM's with commit times. We had also just went on PAS too. If you couldn't make the commit time then air drivers were put on. He made sure the supervisors looked at EDD commits to prevent last minute scrambling to cover the work. It was great as long as we had air drivers. That really cut down on A, customer requested late. We also had to get the OK to use request late well before the commit time if needed. He told everyone that better for him to take a beating from his boss for doing it with integrity than trying to remember who said what when! Sure glad I'm retired!

crystal_ball

How about when they ask you why you were so much over allowed? I tell them that a body wasnt made to work over 8 hours a day and its all about safety like you said in the pcm right?

Jim Kemp

We were always given the speech about how our center was the worst in the district or you were the worst driver in the center or the person that ran your route while you were on vacation did it so much faster. This was 30 plus years ago. For years we really had no other contact with other centers unless you knew someone who knew someone that worked in a different center. You did have the "feeder rumors" but after awhile you didn't believe any of those because most of them turned out to be bs. When the internet (Brown Cafe) came along it didn't take long to realize this was the same speech given to all drivers.

I have been here almost 30 years and I have always thought it was strange that we were always the worst center in everything. After a while you just don't care.
And the sups always had these wild stories about what had happened but it was always at some other center; "I know a driver in XYZ center that could run 600 stops 200 pick-ups take a 2 hour lunch and be in at 3pm with the flu and a broken arm". I believed it for about the first 2 months.