Seniority timing?

DaNewGuy

Hi. In order to have seniority, is it 30 calendar days from your start date or 30 days clocked in? I’m in New England. I can’t find any info elsewhere

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Thanks for the info. Looks like I still have a little ways to go.
Read through article 57 of the New England supplement. If your first day working full time was after June 1 you are more than likely being considered vacation coverage even if you’ve been told otherwise. If you need a copy of the contract download the UPS Rising app put out by the IBT.
1626365572346.png

Last edited:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I still have a little ways to go.

You'll make it. You've been promoted at the best possible time in probably the entire history of the company.

The government is paying people to not work and they're spending their money on Amazon and Target, who in turn spends their money on us.

Work safe, make service, memorize all the useless garbage they want you to memorize and you'll do just fine.

Read through article 57 of the New England supplement. If your first day working full time was after June 1 you are more than likely being considered vacation coverage even if you’ve been told otherwise. If you need a copy of the contract download the UPS Rising app put out by the IBT.
View attachment 344628
Hey. So In the New England area you can only make book between Jan 15 - May 31st?

J.D. Hogg

Hi. In order to have seniority, is it 30 calendar days from your start date or 30 days clocked in? I’m in New England. I can’t find any info elsewhere
IF you get called in to work five days per week, at the beginning of the 7th week, you'll be eligible to join the union.

So, in about two months.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Hey. So In the New England area you can only make book between Jan 15 - May 31st?
No, however the company has been known to string people along from June 1st until Sept 15th or so. Then lay them off for a couple of weeks then low and behold they come back to work sometime after Oct 1st or Oct 15th, depending on the classification, only to be let go just prior to Jan 15th and not make full time seniority. It isn’t that you can’t be given a fair shake but I’ve seen a ton of people both part time and off the street hires that haven’t been aware of these very significant dates. A lot has to do with the year round staffing needs of the company and unfortunately not as much to do with the work ethic of the member. Also local management doesn’t get the final word. If a center manager gets told to let no one make it. Then no one makes it during “the free period”. It is not unheard of for part time members, who are working as a TCD, obtaining full time seniority simply due to the fact that the company needed staffing and the free period ending.

No, however the company has been known to string people along from June 1st until Sept 15th or so. Then lay them off for a couple of weeks then low and behold they come back to work sometime after Oct 1st or Oct 15th, depending on the classification, only to be let go just prior to Jan 15th and not make full time seniority. It isn’t that you can’t be given a fair shake but I’ve seen a ton of people both part time and off the street hires that haven’t been aware of these very significant dates. A lot has to do with the year round staffing needs of the company and unfortunately not as much to do with the work ethic of the member. Also local management doesn’t get the final word. If a center manager gets told to let no one make it. Then no one makes it during “the free period”. It is not unheard of for part time members, who are working as a TCD, obtaining full time seniority simply due to the fact that the company needed staffing and the free period ending.
Ahh got you. Now it all makes sense. I went to a center last year when they were hiring because I was considering starting all over & on the paper they gave me it stated there are 2 peak seasons followed by 2 layoffs. When I saw that I was wondering like when in the world would I make book then. Thought it was too dangerous of a move so I stayed put. Also would have to be a 22.4 which is not appealing honestly.