Seniority

UpsAngel

Quick question. Can someone with more seniority take my place. I'm a bit confused, i sort during preload and recently had a splitter take sort test and passed. I have been sent to preload package cars. Note: hes been here 7 years. My question is does he have more seniority, Even tho i took test and passed 6 months before he did? Co-worker had mentioned that i had more seniority in this situation because its a skilled position. Is this accurate? I'm thinking its not. Just thought i would ask.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Quick question. Can someone with more seniority take my place. I'm a bit confused, i sort during preload and recently had a splitter take sort test and passed. I have been sent to preload package cars. Note: hes been here 7 years. My question is does he have more seniority, Even tho i took test and passed 6 months before he did? Co-worker had mentioned that i had more seniority in this situation because its a skilled position. Is this accurate? I'm thinking its not. Just thought i would ask.
Unless you've worked at ups longer than him....he has seniority over you.

upschuck

If you have a bid job, which I don't think you have, he would have to be awarded a bump to take your job. Bumps are usually only awarded to drivers, or when a job is abolished. PT'ers don't have too many bid jobs, and just WAD.

upschuck

A bid job is one that you sign a paper that is posting as certain job, the bid, and highest seniority that signed gets it; all others are WAD = Work As Directed.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Newbie questions. What exactly is a bid job and a WAD. Would you please elaborate.
Work as directed. We are preloaders...assigned to a center (assuming there's more than one center in your building). However, you could show up to work on Monday and be told to go work unloading trailers. We do what we are told and can be moved around whenever managment wants.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That is giving them to much credit . I have an example just last evening where it happened.
It doesn't happen often...centers pawn off their crappy loaders to the other centers. If you're good...it's like Hotel California...even if you want to switch centers, they usually won't let you.

UpsAngel

My main job is sorter. I preload cover for call in's. I'm good pretty much any function at my center actually. I would like to think i work hard, get no complain from the sup in that department.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You need to talk to your Steward and BA.

Local seniority practices are different everywhere.

For an example;

In my Local, the person who passed the sort test would be given 30 days to qualify for the position.

The lowest seniority person, would be displaced during this time.

After the person qualified (assuming they did)....

They would still have to wait for a position to open up, before it was a permanent job for them.

-Bug-

Nostromo

You need to talk to your Steward and BA.

Local seniority practices are different everywhere.

For an example;

In my Local, the person who passed the sort test would be given 30 days to qualify for the position.

The lowest seniority person, would be displaced during this time.

After the person qualified (assuming they did)....

They would still have to wait for a position to open up, before it was a permanent job for them.

-Bug-

I've been asked to go for secondary sorter but I haven't even made book yet. Is my lead sup trying to get me to do a different job other than secondary sorter? A little perplexed on my situation

Sent using Morse code

UPS Preloader

Depends upon your supplement. Here in NE it would be a preferred position in which seniority employees could put their name on a list requesting the preferred position. Once you have it, it's yours for 6 months. After that you could be replaced by a higher seniority request.

Feederquacker

Happened to me over a decade ago. I was loading on the local sort and had been there over nine years. Pt sup decided his buddy, who just got hired 8 weeks prior would move to the sort position that opened up instead of me as the senior PTer on the sort. I asked and was told to go back to the load and shut up. I filed on it being a "Preferred" position and that it should be filled in seniority order...... I won.

Sometimes it's just how you go about fighting the BS.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nostromo

Depends upon your supplement. Here in NE it would be a preferred position in which seniority employees could put their name on a list requesting the preferred position. Once you have it, it's yours for 6 months. After that you could be replaced by a higher seniority request.

If I was replaced by higher seniority employee would I go back to my original job that I got hired for(feeder loader) or would they move me to a different area say feeder unloader?

Sent using Morse code