Set up to fail.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When my rear seal went I had no notice, I went down the hill and I had no brakes. Road calls should not count, as its mechanics and sometimes things just break down. My personal vehicles run forever as my personal mechanic is quite good. So much so he washes the thing daily, and the windows in this cold snap wont work daily. He got back from TX on friday and the truck didnt move til Monday on the stormiest day Ive seen in awhile. Ten miles down the road it just quit. I didnt blame him, as I dont blame my mechanic at work. There was no notice, no pre emptive action could have been taken. It just died, fuel pump.
Now when something doesnt get fixed , and I have told him, in my dvr, then yes I have a problem. And even then it may not have been his fault, he couldnt get the parts, and he was forced to keep the thing on the road. So I dont usually blame anything on my mechanic unless he does not care. Thats when its up to the driver to say, I cant drive it. All of ours do, to some extent, some more than others. But I know when a wiper breaks, or the seals break, or I get a flat from a screw in the tire that no one could have seen, its just a breakdown, and not anyones fault.

dragracer66

When my rear seal went I had no notice, I went down the hill and I had no brakes. Road calls should not count, as its mechanics and sometimes things just break down. My personal vehicles run forever as my personal mechanic is quite good. So much so he washes the thing daily, and the windows in this cold snap wont work daily. He got back from TX on friday and the truck didnt move til Monday on the stormiest day Ive seen in awhile. Ten miles down the road it just quit. I didnt blame him, as I dont blame my mechanic at work. There was no notice, no pre emptive action could have been taken. It just died, fuel pump.
Now when something doesnt get fixed , and I have told him, in my dvr, then yes I have a problem. And even then it may not have been his fault, he couldnt get the parts, and he was forced to keep the thing on the road. So I dont usually blame anything on my mechanic unless he does not care. Thats when its up to the driver to say, I cant drive it. All of ours do, to some extent, some more than others. But I know when a wiper breaks, or the seals break, or I get a flat from a screw in the tire that no one could have seen, its just a breakdown, and not anyones fault.
100% correct but it's still a mechanical breakdown and we get charged for it. The only time we really don't get charged is when a driver has a accident. It's still a breakdown but it's charged to the center. Or how about this...If a feeder break's down at a pickup it's concidered a center delay not a break down???? Make's no sence to me at all!!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You are in a quagmire. While we know it doesnt make sense, they code it how they do, and it isnt right, or sensible, it just is. I just hope all the mechanics and hourly know that usually its not an us against them. We know they get gigged for stuff that is no ones fault. Its all contained in the numbers game that UPS plays.

dragracer66

You are in a quagmire. While we know it doesnt make sense, they code it how they do, and it isnt right, or sensible, it just is. I just hope all the mechanics and hourly know that usually its not an us against them. We know they get gigged for stuff that is no ones fault. Its all contained in the numbers game that UPS plays.
We know it's not us vs you guy's I think most of us have a pretty good relationship with the driver's. I have alot of friend's that are P/C and feeder driver's. I personally have gained alot of respect for you guy's, I've had to off load some truck's on the road that I couldn't fix and I don't know how you guy's lift that stuff day in and day out!!! Parcel has to put the blame on something or somebody it's just the way it is.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
charged back to me
:confused:1 Do they deduct that time from you and you have to file to get it back? Do you get paid by "book" time and not "clock" time, if you don't mind me asking? Never worked in a dealer or fleet shop myself. Actually I'd like to get into an auto. dept. up here, but don't have much truck exp./tools.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
We are paid by the clock hour.. Somebody in corporate auto figures out what the time for repairs are and we are suppose to at least match it... Good luck on that with 6 mins to do an oil and filter change on a package car that holds 19qts of oil.. Takes 6 mins just to drain the pan. Our supervisors understands that things happen, the broken bolt, or stripped nut.
It's more of a pride thing to say that last year I had 13 road calls for the year, with a 567 car days per road call.

Last edited:

Channahon

Two of my very best friends at UPS are in Automotive. I can assure they take pride in their jobs, and take heat for cars not running right. I don't think UPS is looking for our mechanics to fail, that doesn't do anyone any good. Do the right thing, write up your cars, they should not be put back in the line up until road worthy. Nobody wants to be challenged on their integrity should an accident occur. Safety is of the utmost concern for all. Now there have been investigations based on documentation, you bet. In that case, someone didn't do their job and resulted in some failure. It's working together to make things right for all UPS employees and the general public

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
We are paid by the clock hour.. Somebody in corporate auto figures out what the time for repairs are and we are suppose to at least match it... Good luck on that with 6 mins to do an oil and filter change on a package car that holds 19qts of oil.. Takes 6 mins just to drain the pan. Our supervisors understands that things happen, the broken bolt, or stripped nut.
It's more of a pride thing to say that last year I had 13 road calls for the year, with a 567 car days per road call.
:ohmy: 1/10th hr.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So how often does your mgr. get a memo asking why you're not pumping out 80-90 per night?:wink:
But seriously, I hear you on taking pride in your workmanship, even if you're supplied POS/2fera$ white box parts.:thumbup1:

browntruckmechanic

Dodged a bullet today. Pkg car died would not restart 1 mile from hub. Center team pushed car in for me to save road call ( made sure gave hats to all involved gifts ). Found broken wire at pcm's 32 pin connector terminal d16. Injector driver module wiring. Injectors would not pulse.

helenofcalifornia

I don't know what y'all just said, but congrats. Sounds like you take great pride in your work. I hope you work in a center small enough where you can get to know the drivers. I am just hoping that our mechanic picks up some skills soon, because he is seriously lacking now.

raceanoncr

Dodged a bullet today. Pkg car died would not restart 1 mile from hub. Center team pushed car in for me to save road call ( made sure gave hats to all involved gifts ). Found broken wire at pcm's 32 pin connector terminal d16. Injector driver module wiring. Injectors would not pulse.

Uh...yeah...had that happen here too when I was digging the lint outta my navel.

browntruckmechanic

Well here we go. Seems that the automotive dept is about to have to ride w/you drivers. Seems that 2 flat tire road calls this week were do to poor PMI's. First driver calls in at 2:30pm states has flat tire on right front. Sent tire service, found a door roller lodged in center of tread. Yes I said door roller as in from a overhead door. Seems driver was in an industrial park and pick up roller, but mechanic was charged the road call.
2 days later same scenario.