shipping firearms??

blkcloud

Does ups ship firearms? I always thought they did,ffl dealer to ffl dealer..I was on another board the other day and a guy copied and pasted apparently from the ups website that ups would not ship them..thanks,keith

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I'm pretty sure we do. My center serves Sterm Ruger and to the best of knowledge we've had firearms in our center. Last case I know of specifically was about 5 years ago. Only because ther was a problem and a driver in NJ ended up losing his job.
I think we still take them with the adult signature labels.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yes, we do ship guns, with certain restrictions. The black powder firearms are shipped with no restrictions for some reason, I've never understood that. I had one guy get a WWII British Sten gun, full automatic, the barrel was welded shut for this "collectors item". The second box was full of new barrels and fifty round magazines. I once was on a route that had a sporting goods warehouse. They supplied all the firearms sold to Department Stores. One day I filled up a P1000 with rifles and ammo, it had so much weight in it, the Package car would hardly move. Pistols are another story though, I don't see any on the route I'm on now. Last I heard, they had to be shipped Next Day Air, Signature Required. This became UPS policy, which angered many shippers, because of what happened at the Hub I work in. About seven years ago, I'm not good with dates, A part-time supervisor stole about 120-160 Glock handguns that were sorted at our building. This "fine Christian gentleman" was caught selling them in local housing projects and is "no longer with the company". I'm not sure what current policy regarding firearms is.

worldwide

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.

You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M., UPS Next Day Air, or UPS Next Day Air Saver services

Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services.