Shop Class as Soul Craft

wkmac

Coming at a time of economic crisis, an increased interest (and necessity) of repairing our own stuff and growing our own food, and growing concern about the viability of an economic system based upon outsourcing and offshoring, the book is a timely reminder that certain kinds of work are always necessary, and further, that many of the manual trades possess an inherently integrative and purposive function that are often lacking in the sorts of deracinated jobs in many contemporary blue- and white-collar workplaces. It is a repudiation of much of the ideology that underlies modern globalization and elite and academic assumptions about the superiority of office work over hand craft.

Interesting read in light of current societal problems and directions.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
All I accomplished with earning my Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy and religion was to learn how much I will never know.

Or it made me a better bull#$%& artist.

Dole Office Clerk: Occupation?
Comicus: Stand-up philosopher.
Dole Office Clerk: What?
Comicus: Stand-up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a *bull#$%&* artist!
Comicus: *Grumble*...
Dole Office Clerk: Did you bull#$%& last week?
Comicus: No.
Dole Office Clerk: Did you *try* to bull#$%& last week?
Comicus: Yes!

At least with my degree in electrical trades from vo-tech I can repair the wiring in my house.

wkmac

All I accomplished with earning my Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy and religion was to learn how much I will never know.

Or it made me a better bull#$%& artist.

At least with my degree in electrical trades from vo-tech I can repair the wiring in my house.

Matt Crawford, the author of Shop Class As Soul Craft holds a Phd. in Philosophy but also worked as an electrican and currently repairs motorcycles. Education and degrees don't equate to happiness and if someone had a PHd. in astro-physics but found happiness digging ditches, I say be the damn best ditch digger you can be. I know lawyers who make loads of money who will also admit in private moments that they would rather be some blue collar guy who at least at night after a bath can come out clean. But they sadly admit to being trapped in a life they created and just don't lack the will or courage to change. I think a whole lot of us are in that boat as well so they aren't alone by any stretch.

How many of us stay where we are not because we absolutely love it and would do it for free but because now we have so much time vested and the payoff (retirement) is just around the corner? Somebody wanna slide over so I can sit down on the bench too!
:happy-very:

But that doesn't stop you from planning for the future and making UPS a means to an end either!
:peaceful:

wkmac

JimJimmyJames,

Here is the orginal 2006' essay Matthew Crawford wrote for "The New Atlantis" that became the book, "Shop Class as Soulcraft". This book has really provoked a number of interesting and thought provoking articles over at FrontPorchRepublic.

I've enjoyed reading many of the articles including Matt's original essay and his book is on my "must read" list.