Should i or shouldn't i?

sikidiki

Thanks for all the suggestions, i am going to talk to the big boss and tell him i volunteer as tribute and watch the horror on my co workers faces when i say that at next pcm..( i wont really do it that way of course ) also rod, its something my dad has been telling me at every job i work at, just think it fits even better at ups. As for the survival bag thats an awesome suggestion, i will do that.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The most important thing to remember ,, it’s only cardboard !!’
It’s not the cure for cancer in those pkgs or the Holy Grail
When they yell at you , tell em
I’m doing the best I can as safe as I can !! Good luck

iruhnman630

Who's been doing the route? Even if you win the bid, every cut driver with more seniority would have to pass on it for you to work. If that hasn't been happening now, you shouldn't expect anything to change, except that everyday you do work, it will be that route. Of course that is unless seniority works differently in your building.
Bid drivers work their bid routes.

ManInBrown

Long story short, a guy quit and his route is up for bid, I am full time but only work as needed, its rare if i work more than 2 days a week at this point since im like 31 on seniority, and its clear no one wants his route.

Everyone i have talked to says it sucks or they are afraid of it, Its basically 80-130 stops in some mountains with lots of bad roads and chaining up in the winter.

So my question is, should i just man up and take it for the hours? I'm not here to work, I'm here to make money, there will be long days and days ill get stuck im sure, but i want hours and money, so i will probably see if they will give me the route tomorrow, its been put up for bid 3 times and no one has taken it yet, so my chances may be good. What do you guys think?
Man up and take it. No matter how horrible a route is you will get the hang of it in a few months. You’ll be able to do it in your sleep.

35years

Gravy route
Take it.
Around here you would have to have 25+ years to get any rural route.
Rural centers have no idea how hard the city industrial routes are.
I have done all kinds.
You will get to know the hazardous areas.
Don't be a hero. Safety if unsure.

ManInBrown

Nothing beats a routewith massive amounts of windshield time. No matter how treacherous. You’ll know where every rock in the road is in no time.

Dr.Brownz

Long story short, a guy quit and his route is up for bid, I am full time but only work as needed, its rare if i work more than 2 days a week at this point since im like 31 on seniority, and its clear no one wants his route.

Everyone i have talked to says it sucks or they are afraid of it, Its basically 80-130 stops in some mountains with lots of bad roads and chaining up in the winter.

So my question is, should i just man up and take it for the hours? I'm not here to work, I'm here to make money, there will be long days and days ill get stuck im sure, but i want hours and money, so i will probably see if they will give me the route tomorrow, its been put up for bid 3 times and no one has taken it yet, so my chances may be good. What do you guys think?

ECD it in the winter. If they question you file harassment grievances non stop until it stops. Sounds like an awesome route. Get on the 9.5 list and make it a real nice route. Take an hour lunch and all breaks every single day until missed packages happen and the are forced to change the route. Drive the speed limit or lower or whatever you need to do to be 100% safe everyday

Dr.Brownz

Here, if you have a bid route, you work before anyone that doesn't have a bid route.

In your scenario, there is no reason to even bid routes, because it means nothing.

The bid locks him in on that route, meaning he couldn't be bumped by a higher seniority cover driver

WorknLateHuh

Take it.
Around here you would have to have 25+ years to get any rural route.
Rural centers have no idea how hard the city industrial routes are.
I have done all kinds.

Exactly why i left a giant hub for a small rural center. Everday you're drowning in work with an avalanche of volume. Maybe, just maybe, you might get a truck with a "walk-through" 1 day a week.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Exactly why i left a giant hub for a small rural center. Everday you're drowning in work with an avalanche of volume. Maybe, just maybe, you might get a truck with a "walk-through" 1 day a week.
I just got a rural route after 26+ yrs. I can walk threw my truck 99% of the days. So far the most pieces I’ve had is 175. Best move I ever made.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Here, if you have a bid route, you work before anyone that doesn't have a bid route.

In your scenario, there is no reason to even bid routes, because it means nothing.

Bid drivers work their bid routes.

The bid locks him in on that route, meaning he couldn't be bumped by a higher seniority cover driver

I will clarify: if there are 30 routes, and you are number 35 on the seniority list, 5 drivers will have to be off in order for you to work any given day. If you don't have a bid route, and you do work, you will work whatever route is available. If you have bid route and you work, you will be doing your route.

Given the above scenario, if only 3 drivers take the day off, you will not be working, even if the route is yours. If your center allows lower seniority drivers to work over higher seniority drivers because they have a bid route, then the higher seniority drivers will be able to grieve the breach of seniority and get paid for the same hours. I have sat at home while higher seniority drivers worked my route.

OP says he's 31 on the list. I'm guessing maybe an average of 25 routes in his center, since he only works two days a week. Having a route won't change that unless no one ever wants to do that route. So if someone has an alternate explanation of how seniority works that I'm unaware of, I'm interested in hearing it.

upschuck

I will clarify: if there are 30 routes, and you are number 35 on the seniority list, 5 drivers will have to be off in order for you to work any given day. If you don't have a bid route, and you do work, you will work whatever route is available. If you have bid route and you work, you will be doing your route.

Given the above scenario, if only 3 drivers take the day off, you will not be working, even if the route is yours. If your center allows lower seniority drivers to work over higher seniority drivers because they have a bid route, then the higher seniority drivers will be able to grieve the breach of seniority and get paid for the same hours. I have sat at home while higher seniority drivers worked my route.

OP says he's 31 on the list. I'm guessing maybe an average of 25 routes in his center, since he only works two days a week. Having a route won't change that unless no one ever wants to do that route. So if someone has an alternate explanation of how seniority works that I'm unaware of, I'm interested in hearing it.
Here, higher seniority driver chose not to work when they passed on the bid?

Again, what is the use of a bid, it that route isn't yours to run?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Here, higher seniority driver chose not to work when they passed on the bid?

Again, what is the use of a bid, it that route isn't yours to run?
What's the use in seniority if it doesn't give you the right to work?

I can't believe seniority is trumped simply because one signed a bid. That's about the least union thing ever.

upschuck

What's the use in seniority if it doesn't give you the right to work?

I can't believe seniority is trumped simply because one signed a bid. That's about the least union thing ever.
Seniority rules supreme when bids are placed, again, you choose not to work on those a few days, when you passed on the bid, not very hard to understand.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Seniority rules supreme when bids are placed, again, you choose not to work on those a few days, when you passed on the bid, not very hard to understand.
Actually it is shocking to me.

No signing a bid is not equal to giving up your right to work every day.