Should I sign a 24 month contract

hypo hanna

The FedEx pension was never in any jeopardy. That was all smoke and mirrors with the actuarial tables to make it look like it was at risk and to get the rank and file to go along with the portable 401k plans.

Hambone

What about management wise what would be the best company to pursue if I wanted to go that route? I know fedex would be check rides all day.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

What about management wise what would be the best company to pursue if I wanted to go that route? I know fedex would be check rides all day.

Sent using BrownCafe App
They don't do check rides anymore. They only care about numbers and run reports. Safety and methods take a back seat to numbers now.

!Retired!

You couldn't pay me enough to be a manager with FedEx. I was talking with a manager about 10 days ago. We discussed how if you were a manager before all the crap came about, you roll with the punches and adapt to the changes. It's 100X worse if you were to jump directly into management now. All you would be saying is "I have to do that!!??" I've seen my old manager taking 30 days of time cards home because he's to busy doing other stuff to look at them at the station.

As for check rides, SPH is correct...to a point. With DRA handling 99% of it, the only reason a manager would ride with you is to check for CBP and if there was a problem at a particular building.

MAKAVELI

As for check rides, SPH is correct...to a point. With DRA handling 99% of it, the only reason a manager would ride with you is to check for CBP and if there was a problem at a particular building.
At my station the only time you get a check ride is if you have an accident or a new courier. Other than that they couldn't care less about cbp.

Maui

Sent using BrownCafe App

I was a Manager at FedEx. The pay problem is the same as it is for couriers. The people that have been managers 18+ years make near the top of the pay scale and newer ones make near the bottom. Even after 10 years as a manger you only make 3-5k more than a brand new manager. The Sr. down the road made over 60k more than mine and he was better at it.

The job is really demanding and changes rapidly. That is true for management at any large size transportation company. I will say that if you choose FedEx you will make less money. The advantage to FedEx is that generally you choose the location you work and it is possible to work 40-45 hour weeks. I don't know if that is possible at UPS. I highly recommend a larger station that has at least 4 managers so you have the possibility of shorter days. AGFS is shangri-la. They can work as few as 30-35 hours/week.

There is little opportunity for advancement currently at FedEx. It would take 5-7 years to become a Sr and another 10 to become a Director