Should the Yankees Pay A-Rod $6M for 660th Home Run?

Should the Yankees pay A-Rod the money they "owe" him?

• Yes----it is in his contract and he "earned" it.

• No----he used steroids and has forever tarnished his image.

Results are only viewable after voting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yankees DH Alex Rodriguez recently hit his 660th home run, which tied Willie Mays for 4th place on the all time home run list. A-Rod has a clause in his contract which rewards him for milestone achievements; however, the Yankess added a clause which gives them the right to not pay him for achieving said milestones due to behavior on his part.

The Yankees have decided not to pay A-Rod the $6M in his contract for hitting his 660th home run due to his season long suspenson for suspicion of using PED's.

upschuck

That clause would of had to of been agreed to when he signed it, and the Yankees knew they were not going to pay him, and just wanted a way out of it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That clause would of had to of been agreed to when he signed it, and the Yankees knew they were not going to pay him, and just wanted a way out of it.

The clause is in there but the Yankees made sure to add their own clause giving them the right to not pay him as described above.

Teams use so-called "milestone achievements" to market their stars and their teams. Any attempts to promote this would most surely have backfired.

Willie Mays did the PC thing by congratulating A-Rod but you have to know that in his heart he knew that A-Rod did not "earn" that achievement solely on his own.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The clause is in there but the Yankees made sure to add their own clause giving them the right to not pay him as described above.

Teams use so-called "milestone achievements" to market their stars and their teams. Any attempts to promote this would most surely have backfired.

Willie Mays did the PC thing by congratulating A-Rod but you have to know that in his heart he knew that A-Rod did not "earn" that achievement solely on his own.

While he doesn't deserve it, a contract is a contract and unless The Yanks legal team can find some breach of the contract, they are gonna pay. I just don't understand how there was no way to negate the contract once they found out, and when A-Rod was ultimately suspended for using performance drugs, that there was no breach of contract on A-Rod's part.

I mean Aaron Hernandez' contract was dissolved once he was charged with murder. I know, different circumstances but still both did something wrong to tarnish the image of their respective teams so why not in A-Rods case?

sportsjock

Pay the man his damn money. Taking performance or not they created this problem now he got caught they want to back out the deal. Pay the man! They all cheat until they get caught

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pay the man his damn money. Taking performance or not they created this problem now he got caught they want to back out the deal. Pay the man! They all cheat until they get caught

Why should they pay him? The bonus was meant to be an incentive for the player and to allow the team to make some money off of the publicity from reaching the milestone in question. There is no way the Yankees could market this "tainted" milestone and, as such, they are right in withholding payment.

CharleyHustle

I think there are very few people who actually know what language is his contract. I was listening to a guy on TV who said the word in the contract is "marketable" achievements. The Yankees are saying that because of his past, they aren't able to "market" these events to recoup any bonus owed the player.

bbsam

Staff member
Why should they pay him? The bonus was meant to be an incentive for the player and to allow the team to make some money off of the publicity from reaching the milestone in question. There is no way the Yankees could market this "tainted" milestone and, as such, they are right in withholding payment.
If it was for publicity, A-Rod and the Yankees should get together and donate the money to a mutually determined youth oriented cause. While I don't think A-Rod deserves the money, ownership need not look like conniving, greedy bastards either.