Should UPS Officially Sponsor Discussion Forum

UPS Lifer

I think we all come here to vent in our own ways. Yes we disagree on some issues, but we agree to disagree. I think if this was a company sponsored forum alot of us would stop coming. It would be to much like work, and on here now its were we can get different points of views to see why someone does it one way while another would do it this way. If ups wants to see whats going on they can come see it here!

Excellent Points! Thanks for your insight!

dragracer66

You can leave sugestions on upsers.com now and nothing happen's. And as far a big brother in Atlanta watching! I KNOW THEY ARE...See the thread I started titled Brown Cafe Warning. Where else would that have come from???? And if it was just limited to upsers.com they would track all of our IP address's to see who is who, what else does TSG have going on!!!

UPS Lifer

Lets throw a different spin on this for a minute.

I think it would be reasonable to say that the likehood that Corp. UPS has frequented the site.To what extent is anybody's guess. I think if I was in a leading position down in Atlanta, I would want to take advantage of all possible avenues to get a feel from my employee base., That might very well include monitoring this site.Sponsoring the site really wouldn't be neccessary.

I hope that you are right. I think this site has a lot of independent thinkers who have creative ideas....and some of them make it entertaining as well!

If for no other reason, Corporate could see the different points of view and the underlying thread of a topic. this is a great spot to start formulating solutions to key issues. Thank for the comments!!

hoser

Industrial Slob
I am curious to see how many folks out there feel that using this style of communication would be a beneficial tool for UPS to gage the work conditionsl and climate rather than using the traditional poll that takes place in Fall.

Please assume for argument sake that this forum could be kept confidential accessed only through UPSers.com but similar to the likes of the Brown Cafe.

The difference could be that an "Official" site could sort threads on a local-regional-corporate level based on the type of discussion and feed back the information to those that can spark changes to occur.

Bottom Line - do you feel this is a good tool to enhance communication - understanding and change?
ERI is a lot more scientific than browncafe.com. you're only going to hear the bad things on browncafe that could be very much emblished.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS uses the ERI to track employee opinions, they don't need a forum. A locally focused forum may work for local areas but if the ERI is properly implemented it seems to be a much more efficient vehicle for measuring the opinions of such a large group.

This site is just a teeny tiny nothing to UPS. I know that someone monitors it because it only took a day or 2 for a UPS lawyer to call me when someone registered Mike Eskew's name. We're nothing special, I'll bet they monitor every site that mentions UPS...

upsgrunt

UPS uses the ERI to track employee opinions, they don't need a forum. A locally focused forum may work for local areas but if the ERI is properly implemented it seems to be a much more efficient vehicle for measuring the opinions of such a large group.

This site is just a teeny tiny nothing to UPS. I know that someone monitors it because it only took a day or 2 for a UPS lawyer to call me when someone registered Mike Eskew's name. We're nothing special, I'll bet they monitor every site that mentions UPS...

Hi Cheryl,
Do you think it was UPS's lawyer or Mike's lawyer that called you? Just seems kind of silly to me that it would be a big deal to anybody. Theoretically there could be thousands of other Mike Eskew's, right? Why would a call from a lawyer be needed just because that name was registered. It all goes back to wasting time and money in my opinion.:tongue_sm

Pip

Maybe this is just coincidence maybe not. But I had to laugh when I seen it.

On another thread Tieguyand toonertoo were talking about how to find sales leads that Toonertoo turned in, just the last couple days.

I go to UPSers.com today and in the Atlantic region news part there is a writeup on how to check sales leads with detailed info.

Instantly, I am thinking about the conversation between Tie and toonertoo. Coincidence? .... Maybe..... Could it have been that somebody else also seen the thread I am talking about and felt it was a good idea to offer help on checking sales leads. So they just posted it on UPSers.com

My thinking is the later. Afterall, this site is for all UPSers from top to bottom on the food chain. My feelings is that this site really compliments UPSers.com. The way Cheryl and the moderators and the people who frequent this site have kept this site running, full of information about UPS. While both are seperated from each other totally, the common factor they both share is the information you gain by visiting both.:thumbup1:

hoser

Industrial Slob
Hi Cheryl,
Do you think it was UPS's lawyer or Mike's lawyer that called you? Just seems kind of silly to me that it would be a big deal to anybody. Theoretically there could be thousands of other Mike Eskew's, right? Why would a call from a lawyer be needed just because that name was registered. It all goes back to wasting time and money in my opinion.:tongue_sm
a) it's to show muscle and send a message
b) diadlover WAS impersonating the CEO of a major corporation, after all. yes, there are probably 10 mike eskews in this world, but his avatar looked strikingly like the CEO eskew.

over9five

Staff member
"diadlover WAS impersonating the CEO of a major corporation"

Ahem...... Allegedly

"We're nothing special"

I think we're special....!

20yearvet

I do not like the idea of UPS having any official sponsorship or involvement in this site. I read it virtually every day and answer when I have time, but there are many times where I keep my opinion to myself because even on here, i wonder who has access and may be able to identify me. Even paranoids have enemies.....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Maybe this is just coincidence maybe not. But I had to laugh when I seen it.

On another thread Tieguyand toonertoo were talking about how to find sales leads that Toonertoo turned in, just the last couple days.

I go to UPSers.com today and in the Atlantic region news part there is a writeup on how to check sales leads with detailed info.

Instantly, I am thinking about the conversation between Tie and toonertoo. Coincidence? .... Maybe..... Could it have been that somebody else also seen the thread I am talking about and felt it was a good idea to offer help on checking sales leads. So they just posted it on UPSers.com

My thinking is the later. Afterall, this site is for all UPSers from top to bottom on the food chain. My feelings is that this site really compliments UPSers.com. The way Cheryl and the moderators and the people who frequent this site have kept this site running, full of information about UPS. While both are seperated from each other totally, the common factor they both share is the information you gain by visiting both.:thumbup1:

Makes ya wonder dont it. I couldnt get through the last few times I checked , instantly is was there, but still not totally working. Things that make you go HMMMMMM.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was recently griping on another thread about my P7 not getting washed for months. Finally, it got washed last week. And Monday, a supervisor was standing around with a clipboard writing down truck numbers and asking when they were washed last. Hmm........

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Hi Cheryl,
I think all she said was that she was calling about brown cafe, I don't know that she identified exactly who she was working for. My memory of the whole thing is kind of a blur. My first impression was that it was a joke, so I was laughing... A minute later I realized that she was serious. I have to agree with hoser, it was a show of muscle. They didn't have to have a lawyer call...
"We're nothing special"

I think we're special....!
I didn't do a very good job of expressing myself there. What I meant was: to the faceless corporation known as UPS, we (this website) are nothing special.

To me our community is extremely super excellently special, that's why I have spent 7 years and a gazillion hours working on this website...

mittam

I didn't do a very good job of expressing myself there. What I meant was: to the faceless corporation known as UPS, we (this website) are nothing special.

To me our community is extremely super excellently special, that's why I have spent 7 years and a gazillion hours working on this website...

And we here appreciate you for that

satellitedriver

I agree , can't wait for the day the whole company goes casual.:thumbup1:
I disagree.
I think all drivers should wear ties and long sleeve shirts,long pants and shoe shined daily, as they were required to in the past.
During the Summer heat, the weak would be weeded out quickly.
And, I would be the first to go.

trickpony1

During the Summer heat, the weak would be weeded out quickly.
....and since the ability to endure heat is obviously a survival oriented, dominant genetic trait, these people would be given periodic special assignment to the breeding farms currently being established by the company to purify the gene pool and further the superior race with the ultimate goal being 20-25 years from now.
Individuals displaying desired qualities in the areas of strength, good looks, and intelligence (management only) :lol: shall also be summoned to the farms to fulfill their duty towards the master plan of supreme beings.
From another thread: young people learning to drive shall be exposed to an agent of our company, under the auspices of learning safe drivng, but also as a subliminal indoctrination towards the future.

disillusioned

It's a nice idea, but your question is predicated on the idea that UPS actually cares about what the employees think. What they care about is making the quarterly numbers. If you don't like your job, too bad. Look at it another way... UPS has the ERI every year. Have you actually seen anything come out of them?

satellitedriver

....and since the ability to endure heat is obviously a survival oriented, dominant genetic trait, these people would be given periodic special assignment to the breeding farms currently being established by the company to purify the gene pool and further the superior race with the ultimate goal being 20-25 years from now.
Individuals displaying desired qualities in the areas of strength, good looks, and intelligence (management only) :lol: shall also be summoned to the farms to fulfill their duty towards the master plan of supreme beings.
From another thread: young people learning to drive shall be exposed to an agent of our company, under the auspices of learning safe drivng, but also as a subliminal indoctrination towards the future.
Huh????????