Signing the Union Contract

theUPSman

I've been on pre-load for almost 2 months now and should be driving Saturday Air very soon. I'm just wondering when I will be able to sign the Union contract? My immediate sup. doesn't seem to know too much info. He says that the contract comes in the mail. Is this true? Any info is appreciated!! Thanks!

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
You'll sign a card for Union membership...2nd.....Your sup could care less.....Find a union steward and ask him/her if they can get you a copy of the contract

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You sign a union card.
The union contract is signed by people you will probably never meet; upper management & elected union reps.

As for your sup. you joining the union is the worst thing he/she wants.

look for a steward. if you don't know who one of your shop stewards are, look for people who wear teamsters shirts to work and ask them if they know. usually they will. your sup will not know. your sup definitely does not want you to join the union so he will try to deny its extisence.

anyway, get your card. get in it. i know you might think it sucks to pay dues but when you need the union's help when you get wrongfully disciplined or even fired, you cant say "ok i'm ready to sign up now". doesnt work like that. find your steward my friend. and be SURE to let him know if your sup or anyone else in management has anything negative to say about the union AT ALL because that is illegal. when i started at ups, my trainer tried to tell our training class that they will come up to you and try to get you to sign up so they can take money from your paycheck every week. that little comment did not go unpunished.

bellesotico

BOXstar
I've been on pre-load for almost 2 months now and should be driving Saturday Air very soon. I'm just wondering when I will be able to sign the Union contract? My immediate sup. doesn't seem to know too much info. He says that the contract comes in the mail. Is this true? Any info is appreciated!! Thanks!

It may be possible that you signed the union card when you did your HR packet. That is when I signed mine. Where I am at everyone is required to join and pay dues. Our local takes the dues out at a random time each month..not sure why..don't care. It comes out once a month and thats fine with me. The initiation fee was kind of weird how it came out but you may want to look on your paycheck stub for INIT FEE or UNION DUE..something like that. If you see that then you will know you signed the card.

Or simply ask the shop steward.

MiamiUPS

Preload Soldier
Find a steward. He will be more then happy to get you your card. When you were in training, did a steward come in and talk to you about the union at all? Under the contract, UPS is required to give a shop steward 15 minutes with each new hire.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Find a steward. He will be more then happy to get you your card. When you were in training, did a steward come in and talk to you about the union at all? Under the contract, UPS is required to give a shop steward 15 minutes with each new hire.

I believe the contract actually provides up to 15 minutes of pay for the shop steward if a new hire orientation occurs during that stewards regular shift.

MiamiUPS

Preload Soldier
I believe the contract actually provides up to 15 minutes of pay for the shop steward if a new hire orientation occurs during that stewards regular shift.
That is true. I just left that part out. UPS is required to give 15 minutes though. They cannot refuse the steward his time.

AND yes, they do pay the for steward 15 minutes of union work.

Ya know, I seem to remember having to sign something when I first became a union member, an application form maybe. Wouldn't that be a contract with the union of sorts?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ya know, I seem to remember having to sign something when I first became a union member, an application form maybe. Wouldn't that be a contract with the union of sorts?

Actually the form that you signed was for you to turn your soul over to the Union. The "contract" that you spoke of us was a pact with the Devil.