Skubick: Teamsters President aims to unionize Amazon workers

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Skubick: Teamsters President aims to unionize Amazon workers - WLNS

Teamsters’ President James Hoffa is warning Amazon that he and other union leaders are coming after them, not only to organize their truck drivers. but other workers as well.

“Right now we’re ready to go. We’ve been talking about it. We just had a Zoom call yesterday with all our leaders in the country. We’re about ready to launch,” said Hoffa.

Fresh off an impressive victory to ban the union in its Alabama warehouse, Amazon is now the target of a full frontal assault by a whole host of other unions lead by Hoffa.

James Hoffa is a Michigan native, and the five-term president of Teamsters.

Karma...

amazon is a formidable company...perhaps a more union friendly and visible city like New York would be a better venue.....I doubt much success...amazon will probably come across with more pay and benefits to avoid amazon turning into another ups....look at the stock prices of amazon vs ups....non-union vs union.....the teamsters are just another company vying for control.

Whither

Scofflaw
the teamsters are just another company vying for control.
While there is a sense in which I agree with this statement, there's no denying that, without the Teamsters, UPS would happily cut pay and benefits down to the standards of the competition.

There is a double standard espoused by some on this board, e.g., "If you wanted to strike in 2018 you should've gotten your many, many brothers and sisters fired up to vote NO and vote YES to authorize a strike," whereas the same logic doesn't seem to apply to lackluster participation in voting for the leadership.

In general I'd say it's much better to be a Teamster than an at-will employee of any particular company. I don't have to sing for my supper.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
amazon is a formidable company...perhaps a more union friendly and visible city like New York would be a better venue.....I doubt much success...amazon will probably come across with more pay and benefits to avoid amazon turning into another ups....look at the stock prices of amazon vs ups....non-union vs union.....the teamsters are just another company vying for control.

Fedex is the comparison as far as stock price not Amazon. Amazon is not primarily a delivery company.