small sort?

jchimienti

i've seen people mention small sort and i have searched any threads about this on this site and came up on nothing. what is small sort and if its your job what do you do?

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
i've seen people mention small sort and i have searched any threads about this on this site and came up on nothing. what is small sort and if its your job what do you do?
Theres 3 parts to SS...First part is dumping where employees dumb nylon bags into a large bin....Second part is the SS sorters sorting those packages to a bin...Third part is the bagger bagging the packages in to another nylon bag putting a label on the bag and putting it on a belt to go back to the primary to be sorted to the pd it goes to

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
just as monavieleaker said,some centers do not have a hub, so when drivers pick up small packages that (envelops, small boxes, ect)go to different centers they are put into nylon bags and sent to hubs and sorted to the centers that they need to go to. the bags are dumped into bens then sorted by a sorter into smaller bins. A bagger then scans the smalls (to assure that they go to the correct centers) and puts them into nylon bags and puts them on a belt to be loaded onto the correct truck. It is pretty simple and it is the easiest position to work in hands down.

brownrodster

I think the small sort is probably a little different everywhere depending on the size of your facility. I don't know what a primary or pd is.

Essentially small sorters take small packages and sort them into bags which are routed to a particular hub / center. The idea is that a large bag full of tiny packages is more efficient to handle than each individual package.

In my building the small sort consists off people to pull smalls off the belt then sort them into bins by zipcode. Then other people take the smalls out of the bins and load them into bags. Then they throw the bags onto the belt which are then loaded into trailers.

It's a cakewalk job but boring. I think all of our small sorters might be 22.3.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
I think the small sort is probably a little different everywhere depending on the size of your facility. I don't know what a primary or pd is.

Essentially small sorters take small packages and sort them into bags which are routed to a particular hub / center. The idea is that a large bag full of tiny packages is more efficient to handle than each individual package.

In my building the small sort consists off people to pull smalls off the belt then sort them into bins by zipcode. Then other people take the smalls out of the bins and load them into bags. Then they throw the bags onto the belt which are then loaded into trailers.

It's a cakewalk job but boring. I think all of our small sorters might be 22.3.
Primary is the primary sort isle..pd is primary direct..which is where most of the primary sort's volume is directed..you must work at a preload center im guessin

brownrodster

Primary is the primary sort isle..pd is primary direct..which is where most of the primary sort's volume is directed..you must work at a preload center im guessin

I don't know what that means. What's a primary sort isle or a primary direct?

I'm a driver. My building is tiny and has one belt from one end to the other. Then we have rollers and platforms set up all over for all the trucks that can't fit on the belt. And some trailers built onto the building to extend it. Total ghetto.

I know we have a "pdu" but I don't know what that means. Every little area and extension of our building has a name but when people say like mdu or whatever I have no idea what they are talking about. I know it's an area but I never remember which area.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I haven't seen an operation like that in 20 yrs.
Time to bring your work area into the modern era.

( sometimes those nylon bags are called " forever bags " , ya right )

IDoLessWorkThanMost

In the hubs the primary sort recieves flow from the unload then they sort that flow to the pd aka primary direct

Hehe- your terminology is naive.

Also, not everyone works in a hub. Hub is entirely different than small center.

Small center - bags are dumped and sorted directly onto belts, then right to the cars. There is no primary direct like in the hub.

At the hub I work at now, it's completely different than the small centers I worked at before.

All depends on perspective.

I did smalls for a few years, back in the days before scanning. We had MAR's for sorting (1500 pph) and bagging (100 bph). Is there even MAR's anymore in smalls? Before scanning, it was an area you had to work your way up to get into. After scanning, it was the area that all the injured people went to.

The building I worked in had a decent sized small sort - 10 employees, 5 bins and small sort volume was around 10k per night (building volume around 35k).

I actually had a lot of fun working in smalls. Throwing the big bread clips at each other, playing pranks, etc.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Hehe- your terminology is naive.

Also, not everyone works in a hub. Hub is entirely different than small center.

Small center - bags are dumped and sorted directly onto belts, then right to the cars. There is no primary direct like in the hub.

At the hub I work at now, it's completely different than the small centers I worked at before.

All depends on perspective.

I dont see where I said everyone worked in a hub but ok

sx2700

Banned
Re: small sort pay? (extra $1)

Do all sort jobs get the extra $1 an hour or just the ones that sort them into bins?

Ummm....No!!! Apparently it depends on where you are. I have been sorting for 2 years and no extra buck for me. I've inquired many times and they told me it wasn't going to happen and to quit asking.

#1angelfan

in my building small sort consists of debaggers, scanners and sorters. one person debagges for 3 or 4 people, they in turn scan and put the pal label on the package and then they go to the sorters who sort them by bins, then they tote out the smalls. this is the preload side of it where i work. what they do at night i am not too sure.

Re: small sort pay? (extra $1)

Ummm....No!!! Apparently it depends on where you are. I have been sorting for 2 years and no extra buck for me. I've inquired many times and they told me it wasn't going to happen and to quit asking.

Dude, if you've been sorting packages on the sort aisle or in small sort, you should be getting a dollar more, plain and simple. Sorters are skilled employees and get skilled pay. If you've been doing it under the radar or haven't passed a sort test, then that's your own fault. You should ask to take a sort test and for your dollar raise. This should apply to all hub sorts (day, twi, night, sunrise) and local sorts (reloads, not sure about preloads).

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
You would only get the dollar raise if you havent already been given a raise for another skilled position. If you worked in another area before smalls their is a very good chance that you have already recieved that raise. The old contract allowed for a dollar raise for each new skilled position that you learned but underthe current contract no such luck.