Started working at Fedex ISP, it's everything you said it would be unfortunately.

bacha29

I had 13 trucks at my peak with Ground how would you suggest that I know any and all problems with them on a daily basis without employees telling me? Take each truck out every mourning for 30 min so they can get warm, well that would only tak 6 hours every day to accomplish. 90% of the time when I jump on a truck I do find a problem that the damn employee hasn't told me about that gets taken immediately to the shop. Wiper fluid not spraying, brights not working because they broke the lever, door off track, somehow broke of the air ducting so the heat can't blow anywhere, broken steering column shifter on the newer fords that are jimmy rigged together, snapped lever for seat slidder, and on and on and on.i swear most of these damn employees could break an anvil with a rubber mallet and somehow it would be on accident.
Obviously you have never owned multiple vehicles with multiple drivers and have no basis telling others anything about this. "Your car" being singular is not even apples to oranges in comparison to a fleet.
People over at express call their trucks " package car" only because is sounds trendy and upscale. As for your trucks it's to be expected from the people you hire if you are paying a perdiem basis. Getting done as early as possible is the only thing on their 8 hour day or less minds . A situation made even worse when using Fedex Ground specification vehicles which are nothing more than 3/4 or 1 ton pickup chassis that are being overloaded with " boulder in a box' or stolen motor freight You might be able to get away with it if your vehicle tires never come in contact with an unpaved surface. If you don't pay overtime and whether it's an 8 hour day or a 13 hour day it all pays the same then you can't blame them for wanting to compress their work day down to the smallest one possible. But then again as veterans of the business all say....."That's trucking".

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
So back to the OP, look around your hub to see if there are better contractors. I agree that another contractor can't come to you to poach from their fellow contractor.

if they operate similarly to the one you're working for now... start looking for a way out while u bite the bullet n get your bills paid while u slave away at your current one.

In my case, i had a cheaper contractor that gave me a service area 5~10 miles from my home. i stumbled into my current one with a service area that is 15 miles to my home, but with better pay, paid vacation, bonus monthly performance, etc. it was a no ~brainer since it's the same type of work

Backup cameras would surely help my productivity, but i guess GOAL will have to do for now.

bacha29

Good advice. However at my station contractor's were constantly stealing drivers from one another or offering a bit more money in an already low pay environment which made an extra 10 bucks or so a day more than enough reason for somebody to jump to another contractor. You can't blame people for doing so . It amuses me the way some contractors despite the low pay they offer still demand complete and absolute loyalty from people. It's a simple fact of life. You no pay. They no stay.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Top shelf or bargain basement or cream of the crop they're not going to worry about what happens to you if they can get more money for doing the same work and whether or not you have enough people to cover your route is of no concern to them.
I jumped a few times, #1 was they ended cash and my fav swing route opened because my contractor lost his contract and I ran it 5 yrs , #2 The contractor l did 5 yrs with lost his contract, I ran the route 2 more yrs with another contractor. He promoted me to mini manager when our terminals split, and I ended up running most of the original area 5 psa's , his HD, and learning the rest of the areas. Living a few blocks from the old building I was consistently sent all the way across town to the new facility.

Then I moved near the new building, and like magic, I suddenly had to be at the old building all the time.

I must have bitched about it, because I was approached by another contractor to "upgrade" to full time manager and really never drive unless it's an emergency.

So for $250/week more without driving much I jumped.
Oh the rift that caused was phenomonal, i was "poached".

Not in my mind, I can still go to the other belt and sort or drive 11 trucks, and go the other building and drive 4 more Ground and 4 HD. And both straight trucks.

His loss, should have paid me more. And at the end of the day I chose wisely.

dmac1

People over at express call their trucks " package car" only because is sounds trendy and upscale. As for your trucks it's to be expected from the people you hire if you are paying a perdiem basis. Getting done as early as possible is the only thing on their 8 hour day or less minds . A situation made even worse when using Fedex Ground specification vehicles which are nothing more than 3/4 or 1 ton pickup chassis that are being overloaded with " boulder in a box' or stolen motor freight You might be able to get away with it if your vehicle tires never come in contact with an unpaved surface. If you don't pay overtime and whether it's an 8 hour day or a 13 hour day it all pays the same then you can't blame them for wanting to compress their work day down to the smallest one possible. But then again as veterans of the business all say....."That's trucking".

This is the major flaw of the ISP model. Whether fedex can make more profit while the ISP flounders is the question.

bacha29

This is the major flaw of the ISP model. Whether fedex can make more profit while the ISP flounders is the question.
Indeed. When the investor class fails to realize the returns they were promised or expected and incur the wrath of X for having trucks sitting with nobody to drive them and the drivers they do have unwilling work all day and half the night for next to nothing ISP becomes an "old model" that will been discontinued in favor of something else in an effort to run away from another round of class actions while the investor class has to deal with a load of HOS and Fair Labor Standards law suits of their own.