Stickin' his nose in where it doesn't belong

moreluck

golden ticket member
'Disgraceful': Cops Angry After Obama Slams Arrest of Black Scholar

Friday , July 24, 2009

BOSTON —
Many police officers across the country have a message for President Barack Obama Get all the facts before criticizing one of our own. Obama's public criticism that Cambridge officers "acted stupidly" when they arrested black Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. could make it harder for police to work with people of color, some officers said Thursday.

It could even set back the progress in race relations that helped Obama become the nation's first African-American president, they said.
Click here for photos.
"What we don't need is public safety officials across the country second-guessing themselves," said David Holway, president of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, which represents 15,000 public safety officials around the country. "The president's alienated public safety officers across the country with his comments."
The Cambridge Police Patrol Officer's Association president also strongly criticized the president's remarks in an interview with The Huffington Post.
"That was totally inappropriate. I am disgraced that he is our commander-in-chief," Stephen Killion said. "He smeared the good reputation of the hard-working men and women of the Cambridge Police Department. It was wrong to do. It was disgraceful," the web site quoted him as saying.
Gates was arrested July 16 by Sgt. James Crowley, who was first to respond to the home the renowned black scholar rents from Harvard, after a woman reported seeing two black men trying to force open the front door. Gates said he had to shove the door open because it was jammed.
He was charged with disorderly conduct after police said he yelled at the white officer, accused him of racial bias and refused to calm down after Crowley demanded Gates show him identification to prove he lived in the home. The charge was dropped Tuesday, but Gates has demanded an apology, calling his arrest a case of racial profiling.
Obama was asked about Gates' arrest at the end of a nationally televised news conference on health care Wednesday night and began his response by saying Gates was a friend and he didn't have all the facts.

"But I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry," Obama said. "No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And No. 3 — what I think we know separate and apart from this incident — is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact."
On Thursday, the White House tried to calm the hubbub over Obama's comments by saying Obama was not calling the officer stupid. Spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama felt that "at a certain point the situation got far out of hand" at Gates' home.
Crowley said he still supports the president, who attended Harvard Law School in Cambridge and garnered 88 percent of the vote there in last year's presidential election.
"I think he was way off base wading into a local issue without knowing all the facts as he himself stated before he made that comment," Crowley told WBZ-AM.
Cambridge police Commissioner Robert Haas said Obama's comments hurt the agency.
"My reponse is that this department is deeply pained," Haas said at a news conference Thursday. "It takes its professional pride seriously."

Fellow law enforcement officers across the country sided with Crowley.
"To make the remark about 'stupidly' is maybe not the right adverb," said Santa Monica, Calif., police Sgt. Jay Trisler, who has been in law enforcement for 24 years. "When an incident occurs with a police department, we're not quick to judge."
He lamented negative opinions being directed at police.
"It's unfortunate because there are so many other police cases where an elected official has made a comment that wasn't correct, comments that could have been better worded," he said. "Look at Rodney King. It's a high-profile case, and everyone is entitled to an opinion."
Obama's comments could diminish work done by law enforcement to address racial issues, said James *******, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Florida State Lodge.
"By reducing all contact between law enforcement and the public to the color of their skin or ethnicity is, in fact, counterproductive to improving relationships," ******* said. "To make such an off-handed comment about a subject without benefit of the facts, in such a public forum, hurts police/community relations and is a setback to all of the years of progress."
Other officers credited the president with using Gates' arrest to highlight the ongoing national problem of racial profiling.
"It wouldn't make any difference whether it was Barack Obama or John McCain. It's appropriate that the leader of this country should still recognize there are still issues in this country in regards to race," said Lt. Charles Wilson, chairman of the National Association of Black Law Enforcement Officers Inc. and a 38-year veteran of law enforcement. "This is an issue that occurs in every single place in this country, so it is not a local issue."
Trisler said Obama's remarks ultimately would not affect how police officers do their jobs. Police have weathered problems before — from the King beating to local corruption cases — and still find ways to work with their communities.
"I think police officers are going to be professional enough not to be affected by his comments," Trisler said. "Not even getting into the race issues, police officers are professional here in Santa Monica, regardless of when a comment comes from an elected official. We're going to do our job for the community."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Had Prof Gates acted in a calm and cooperative manner , none of this would have happened.
But he did not and would not comply . He had to rank & rave about how powerful and connected he was. He acted no better than a childish street punk. For that is what lead to his arrest.

over9five

Staff member
"On Thursday, the White House tried to calm the hubbub over Obama's comments by saying Obama was not calling the officer stupid."

This makes me even madder. We all HEARD him call the police stupid. He is so arrogant to believe he can now change what he said.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Now he has backpeddled and apologized??? sort of on TV

typical black :censored2:.....always pulling the race card making us whites walk on eggshells.........no more, the older I get, the more direct I am.

browndevil

"On Thursday, the White House tried to calm the hubbub over Obama's comments by saying Obama was not calling the officer stupid."

This makes me even madder. We all HEARD him call the police stupid. He is so arrogant to believe he can now change what he said.
I just replayed the video. What I heard him say at about 1:40 is the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting Gates when he clearly showed his ID that he lived there.
I didn't hear Obama call the police stupid.
Also, it is clear he is anserwing a reporter's question since he is clearly speaking and looking directly at someone.
I would like to see the whole exchange

diesel96

Amazingly ironic, that I'm coming to a more libertarian conservative stance than those who "supposedly"champion individual rights and less Gov't intervention in our public lives. Because I have a bit of a problem to be arrested in your own property/home for not threating, but for simply expressing ire at officials.
I won't further comment on this issue until I here both sides of the story....the one fact that remains clear, was that the charges were dropped immediatly. That tells us ultimatley the arrest was unwarranted......I have to agree though, Obama, even provoked by media inquiry, should have withdrew comment until more facts are revealed. But if you, or a family member have ever been falsely arrested and tried to get reconciliation and seek restitution from the arresting party, good luck.....
For the record, most our law enforcement men and women do a commendable job, but we don't live in a perfect world.....

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Black Officer At Gates' Home Supports Arrest

Jul 24, 2009 2:35 pm US/Eastern

CAMBRIDGE (WBZ) ―

A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard professor was arrested says he supports "100 percent" how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as Cambridge officers investigated a report of a burglary July 16.

"I support what Sgt Crowley did. I support what he did. It's as simple as I can say it."

Lashley said Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little stranger than it normally would have been, it shouldn't have been like that."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said he supported Crowley "100 percent."

Gates claimed he was the victim of racial profiling.

President Barack Obama says the officers "acted stupidly."

"I think it's unfortunate what he (Obama) said," said Lashley.

"I would probably give it a mulligan, let him take it back. Everyone makes mistakes, let him take it back."

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Funny.

Shouldn't we be thanking the police officers for doing a job.

If someone was breaking into my home...even if it was me...I would feel blessed that the person would be caught...even if it was me.

I would have thanked the police offer for doing his job.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Not to encourage anyone, but this guys address has been all over the news, along with the fact he is not home, he is away on vacation.:wink2:

tieguy

Banned
I just replayed the video. What I heard him say at about 1:40 is the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting Gates when he clearly showed his ID that he lived there.
I didn't hear Obama call the police stupid.
Also, it is clear he is anserwing a reporter's question since he is clearly speaking and looking directly at someone.
I would like to see the whole exchange

I don't see a whole lot of difference in saying someone acted stupidly or calling someone stupid.

tieguy

Banned

Jul 24, 2009 2:35 pm US/Eastern

A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard professor was arrested says he supports "100 percent" how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as Cambridge officers investigated a report of a burglary July 16.

"I support what Sgt Crowley did. I support what he did. It's as simple as I can say it."

Lashley said Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little stranger than it normally would have been, it shouldn't have been like that."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said he supported Crowley "100 percent."

Gates claimed he was the victim of racial profiling.

President Barack Obama says the officers "acted stupidly."

"I think it's unfortunate what he (Obama) said," said Lashley.

"I would probably give it a mulligan, let him take it back. Everyone makes mistakes, let him take it back."

It appears the black police office is also a racist engaged in racial profiling.:happy-very:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont know,Maybe its just me. Yes it was a frustrating situation, BUT, when a cop says "come out" roll down your window, I cant do it fast enough. Its called RESPECT for authority.

I had heard all he gave was a Harvard ID, at first, which did not have his address. There could have been a robber inside that said, If you dont get the cops outta here, Ill shoot you dead through this glass door. They didnt know, they were doing their job.

Mr Gates acted totally innappropriatly, (sp,) end of story there. The reason probably that the charges were dropped is because after they found out he was truly the resident, and that stupid phrase cooler heads prevailed, prevailed and maybe the idiot shut up and started co operating, they decided to drop it.
All this aside, some people will always hold on to racism, keep it alive, bitterness will kill their soul.
The main point of the thread is Obama should have said,( had it not been staged and his chance to spew his hatred), I cant comment on that at this moment, I dont have the facts, and this televised event was to talk about Healthcare destruction, not some mad black man. That none of us had ever heard of, which empowered the black criminal community to give cops a hard time, and I dont think he will ever regain respect from some people who actually had the intellect to see what this president is really all about.

browndevil

I don't see a whole lot of difference in saying someone acted stupidly or calling someone stupid.
I do. I know your feelings on Obama, I was merely pointing out what I interpreted from the 2min video. Even if it was Bush or Reagan I would have come up with the same conclusion. It's all cool, we can respectfully disagree.

bigbrownhen

Classic over-reaction on everyone's part. Apologies due all around.

I agree with AJ to the fact the cops were responding to a call of "breakin in progress" from the neighbor. They were doing their job. He should have thanked them for being diligent.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Sgt Crowley did not over-react, he did his job as a professional.
Gates acted like a spoiled brat, and continues to do so.
Both he and BHO need to do a public apology.

I agree with AJ to the fact the cops were responding to a call of "breakin in progress" from the neighbor. They were doing their job. He should have thanked them for being diligent.

diesel96

This is not news....obviously your not aware of a Police officers code of honor.....Can you imagine what his career would evolve into had he not support his fellow officer.....nice spin though...lol

Originally Posted by bigbrownhen
Sgt Crowley did not over-react, he did his job as a professional.
Gates acted like a spoiled brat, and continues to do so.
Both he and BHO need to do a public apology.

BigBrown is right, apologies due all around. I don't claim to be at the scene like BaBa does, but IMO Officer Crowley's ego clashed with Professor Gate's racial tantrum......problem is no law has been broken once home/property owner was established.....therefore, trumped up charges and arrest was pointless and the police should had left Gate's residence even with owner throwing a hissy fit.....

moreluck

golden ticket member
Of course, Obama danced all around with words and never did say "I'm sorry".......YET, he could apologize all over the world to anyone wearing a robe and a head rag. Idiot !! :knockedout:

over9five

Staff member
Of course, Obama danced all around with words and never did say "I'm sorry".......YET, he could apologize all over the world to anyone wearing a robe and a head rag. Idiot !! :knockedout:

Excellent point. While on The Obama Worldwide Apology Tour though, he was apologizing for his country, not for himself.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I don't claim to be at the scene like BaBa does, but IMO Officer Crowley's ego clashed with Professor Gate's racial tantrum......problem is no law has been broken once home/property owner was established......

Actually I was in cambridge that day, a couple of blocks away, meeting drivers to exchange misloads. And the Id that Gates handed over was his Harvard Id, which does not have his address on it ( he was renting the house from Harvard Univ.), that was when Sgt Crowley requested Harvard univ. police.

And i'm waiting to hear those police tapes.

moreluck

golden ticket member
home ownership was not the problem......Gates's not complying was......you don't yell at police, you just do what they say, or you get dragged down to the station.