Stories (truth or fiction ?)

moreluck

golden ticket member

Indian Blanket
This is quite an unbelievable story!!
This man lost half of his leg and is selling his Indian blanket that he inherited.Watch the auction.
Nice story!
This is a great story – and you will just love the look on the guy’s face when the bidding keeps going.

Indian Blanket Auction

moreluck

golden ticket member
IN MEMORIUM

Have you ever looked, really looked, at a soldier's face? Sometimes it's young, barely an adult the hopes of youth still painted in its features. Sometimes it's old older than faith, older than wisdom, older than time. And sometimes...sometimes it's a bit of both all at once.

Sometimes it's gritty and pained, remembering the face of another who has fallen. Sometimes it's laughing, pleased to have a moment of peace. Most of the time it's proud because it knows, oh yes it knows, the world is a different place a better place because of it.

Next time you look at a soldier's face, see if you can find that glint of pride. Sometimes it’s hidden, and you have to search it out. You'll find it in the eyes always in the eyes. For the eyes are indeed the windows to the soul, even a soldier's soul.

And when you've carefully examined every feature of that soldier's face, stand up straight and tall and smile your best smile. Thank that soldier, because it does what some cannot or will not. It defends what it believes to be right with it's very life. But more important, it defends a perfect stranger you.

And when you see a flag covered casket, stand in memorium of all the soldier's faces you've examined. For when one of them falls, they all fall. And when one of them stands, they all stand.

Shouldn't we stand with them?

(Lilian Leader...June 2, 2006)

moreluck

golden ticket member
THE BUTTERCUP

Ranunculus was a young boy who lived many, many years ago, and he always dressed from head to toe in gold and green silk.

He spent his days, from dawn to dusk, running round the trees of the forest singing in a beautiful, clear, high-pitched voice. This was lovely to hear for a short time, however he never stopped running and singing.

The wood nymphs, realising this was disturbing the peace of the forest and all the creatures in it, turned him into a buttercup and sent him out into the open meadow to live; thereby restoring peace and harmony to the forest.

(The buttercup has a bitter taste, animals won't eat it, and it has no known medicinal use.)

(The sap is an irritant and in Medieval times beggars would rub the buttercup on their skin to produce sores in the hope of getting sympathy and more money given to them.)

moreluck

golden ticket member
FINDING COPPER PENNIES (Author Unknown)

There was a small boy who when walking down the street one day found a bright copper penny. He was so excited that he found money and it didn't cost him anything. This experience led him to spend the rest of his days walking with his head down, eyes wide open, looking for treasure.

During his lifetime he found 296 pennies, 48 nickels, 19 dimes, 16 quarters, 2 half dollars and one crinkled dollar bill. For a total of $13.96.

He got money for nothing. Except that he missed the breathless beauty of 31,369 sunsets, the colorful splendor of 157 rainbows, the fiery beauty of hundreds of maples nipped by autumn's frost. He never saw white clouds drifting across blue skies, shifting into various wondrous formations. Birds flying, sun shining, and the smiles of a thousand passing people are not a part of his memory.

Who do you know that is living like this?: Head is bent down burdened with trivial things afraid of pain and criticism and fear of things that never happen hoping to find that copper penny...for nothing.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Bleedinbrown58.....don't waste your time reading this...

One stormy day, the wind blew our driveway basketball hoop over, shattering the back window of our van. Only the window-tinting film held the glass in place. After assurances that the van was safe to drive to the shop for repair, I headed into town with my seven-year-old daughter, Katie. All the way there, I muttered about the appointment I was missing and how expensive the deductible would be.

"Mommy, I know you're mad about the window and it's going to cost a lot of money, "Katie said, "but look at how beautiful it looks when the sun shines through the broken glass."

I stopped and saw how right she was. The window got fixed, my appointment was rescheduled, and Katie continues to remind me to look at life a little differently.

moreluck

golden ticket member
For the women only!!

Time passes...Life happens...Distance separates...Children grow up...Jobs come and go...Love waxes and wanes...Men don't do what they're supposed to do...Hearts break...Parents die...Colleagues forget favors...Careers end...BUT.........

Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how many miles are between you. A girl friend is never farther away than needing her can reach...When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the valley's end...Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you...Or come in and carry you out...Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters, daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers, Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended family, all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and neither would I. When we began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we would need each other. Every day, we need each other still. Pass this on to all the women who help make your life meaningful. I just did. Short and very sweet:

There are more than twenty angels in this world...Ten are peacefully sleeping on clouds...Nine are playing... And one is reading their email at this moment.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of Passage?

His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone. He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night, he is a MAN.

He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each lad must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some human might do him harm. The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man!

Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him. He had been at watch the entire night, protecting his son from harm.

over9five

Staff member
Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of Passage?

His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone. He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night, he is a MAN.

He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each lad must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some human might do him harm. The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man!

Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold. It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him. He had been at watch the entire night, protecting his son from harm.

​And that whole night Dad never passed wind or belched, giving himself away??? I don't believe it!

moreluck

golden ticket member
The Back
Nine

I FIRST STARTED READING THIS EMAIL & WAS READING FAST UNTIL I
REACHED THE THIRD SENTENCE. I STOPPED AND STARTED OVER READING SLOWER AND
THINKING ABOUT EVERY WORD. THIS EMAIL IS VERY THOUGHT PROVOKING. MAKES YOU STOP
AND THINK.

READ SLOWLY!

AND THEN IT IS WINTER

You know.
. . Time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing
years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on
my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder
where all the years went. I know that I lived them all.

I have glimpses
of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

But, here it
is... The "back nine" of my life and it catches me by surprise...How did I get
here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go? I remember well
seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were
years away from me and that "I was only on the first hole" and the "back nine"
was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be
like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting grey...they
move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse
shape than me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember
who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we
are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd
become.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target
for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if
I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And
so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches
and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I
had done but never did!! But, at least I know, that though I'm on the "back
nine", and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that when it's over
on this earth...it's over. A new adventure will begin!

Yes, I have
regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should have done, but
indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a
lifetime.

So, if you're not on the "back nine" yet...let me remind you,
that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to
accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!!
Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure
whether you're on the "back nine" or not! You have no promise that you will see
all the seasons of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that
you want your loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love
you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years
past!!

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift
to those who come after. Make it a fantastic
one.

LIVE IT
WELL!

ENJOY TODAY!

DO SOMETHING FUN!

BE HAPPY
!

HAVE A GREAT DAY

Remember "It is health that is real wealth
and not pieces of gold and silver.

LASTLY, CONSIDER THE
FOLLOWING:

~Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are
perfect!

~Going out is good.. Coming home is better!

~You forget
names.... But it's OK because other people forgot they even knew
you!!!

~You realize you're never going to be really good at anything....
Especially golf.

~The things you used to care to do, you no longer care
to do, but you really do care that you don't care to do them
anymore.

~You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV blaring than in
bed. It's called "pre-sleep".

~You miss the days when everything worked
with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch.

~You tend to use more 4 letter words
... "what?"..."when?"..." ???

~Now that you can afford expensive
jewellery, it's not safe to wear it anywhere.

~You notice everything
they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!

~What used to be freckles are
now liver spots.

~Everybody whispers.

~You have 3 sizes of
clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.

But Old
is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLD
FRIENDS!!

Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!" Send this on to other "Old
Friends!" and let them laugh in AGREEMENT!!!

It's Not What You
Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have
Lived.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL
EVER

BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT
LASTS.

moreluck

golden ticket member
During the rush to buy Christmas presents, the mother of the house dashed out, and forgot her son. When she realized what she had done, she quickly turned around and headed back to the house. She expected that her son would be in tears, for he was claustrophobic, but instead, he was in the kitchen drinking a glass of chocolate milk. When asked about how he got the milk, the son explained that a nice old lady said that his mommy would be home soon, and she prepared a glass of milk for him. He also told the police that he could see through the lady, and she looked exactly like a woman on a picture in the attic–a woman who lived in the home during the 1920s.

moreluck

golden ticket member
DRUGGED BY MY PARENTS

The following letter has appeared on the internet and has been viewed by many readers, so we decided to share it with you as well.

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a Methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question. “Why didn’t we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?”

I replied that I did have a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrepectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn’t put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom’s garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad’s fields.

I was drug to homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood, and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip of kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they effect my behavior in everything I do, say, or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin: and, if today’s children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
God bless the parents who drugged us

title_archives.png

moreluck

golden ticket member
A man owned a small farm in Minnesota

The Minnesota State Wage and Hour Department claimed he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent out to interview him.

"I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded the agent.

" Well," replied the farmer, "there's my farm hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $500 a week plus free room and board.

The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $350 per week plus free room and board.

Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here.

He makes about $50 per week, pays his own room and board,

I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night. And he also sleeps with my wife occasionally."

"That's the guy I want to talk to --- the half-wit," says the agent.

"That would be me," replied the farmer.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Every time I am asked to pray, I think of the old fellow who always prayed, 'Lord, prop us up on our leanin' side. 'After hearing him pray that prayer many times, someone asked him why he prayed that prayer so fervently .

He answered, 'Well sir, you see, it's like this... I got an old barn out back. It's been there a long time; it's withstood a lot of weather; it's gone through a lot of storms, and it's stood for many years.

It's still standing. But one day I noticed it was leaning to one side a bit.So I went and got some pine poles and propped it up on its leaning side so it wouldn't fall. Then I got to thinking about that and how much I was like that old barn.

I've been around a long time.
I've withstood a lot of life's storms. I've withstood a lot of bad weather in life, I've withstood a lot of hard times, and I'm still standing too.

But I find myself leaning to one side from time to time, so I like to ask the Lord to prop us up on our leaning side, 'cause I figure a lot of us get to leaning at times.

Sometimes we get to leaning toward anger, leaning toward bitterness, leaning toward hatred, leaning toward cussing, leaning toward a lot of things that we shouldn't .

So we need to pray, 'Lord, prop us up on our leanin' side, so we will stand straight and tall again, to glorify the Lord.''

moreluck

golden ticket member

Subject: Monopoly and POW's

Starting in 1941, an
increasing number of British Airmen found themselves as
the involuntary
guests of the Third Reich, and the Crown was casting about
for ways and means
to facilitate their escape...

Paper maps had some real drawbacks -- they
make a lot of noise when you open
and fold them, they wear out rapidly, and
if they get wet, they turn into
mush.

Someone in MI-5 (similar to
America's OSS ) got the idea of printing escape
maps on silk. It's durable,
can be scrunched-up into tiny wads, and unfolded
as many times as needed, and
makes no noise whatsoever.

At that time, there was only one manufacturer
in Great Britain that had
perfected the technology of printing on silk, and
that was John Waddington,
Ltd. When approached by the government, the firm
was only too happy to do
its bit for the war effort.

By pure
coincidence, Waddington was also the U.K. Licensee for the popular
American
board game, Monopoly. As it happened, 'games and pastimes' was a
category of
item qualified for insertion into 'CARE packages', dispatched by
the
International Red Cross to prisoners of war.

Under the strictest of
secrecy, in a securely guarded and inaccessible old
workshop on the grounds
of Waddington's, a group of sworn-to-secrecy
employees began mass-producing
escape maps, keyed to each region of Germany
or Italy where Allied POW camps
were regional system). When processed, these
maps could be folded into such
tiny dots that they would actually fit inside
a Monopoly playing piece.

As long as they were at it, the clever workmen at Waddington's also
managed
to add:

1. A playing token, containing a small magnetic
compass 2. A two-part metal
file that could easily be screwed together 3.
Useful amounts of genuine
high-denomination German, Italian, and French
currency, hidden within the
piles of Monopoly money!

British and
American air crews were advised, before taking off on their
first mission,
how to identify a 'rigged' Monopoly set -- by means of a tiny
red dot, one
cleverly rigged to look like an ordinary printing glitch,
located in the
corner of the Free Parking square.

Of the estimated 35,000 Allied POWS
who successfully escaped, an estimated
one-third were aided in their flight
by the rigged Monopoly sets.

Everyone who did so was sworn to secrecy
indefinitely, since the British
Government might want to use this highly
successful ruse in still another,
future war.

The story wasn't
declassified until 2007, when the surviving craftsmen from
Waddington's, as
well as the firm itself, were finally honored in a public
ceremony.

It's always nice when you can play that 'Get Out of Jail' Free'
card!

moreluck

golden ticket member
The Chimney Sweep

In the good old times, Chimney Sweeps used to go from door to door on New Years day to wish people Good Luck. Ever since, they are considered as 'The ultimate bringer of Good Luck'.
A Chimney Sweep is a sign of good luck, wealth and happiness. There are several legends why a Chimney Sweep is said to be "The" harbinger of good luck. One version of the legend has it's origins in old England, where King George was riding horseback in a royal procession. A dog ran from the crowd, barking and nipping at the King's horse. The horse reared, and to the horror of the crowd, almost threw the King! A lone figure, shabbily dressed and filthy, stepped into the road. He caught the horse's halter and calmed the animal.
As quickly as he appeared, the man faded back into crowd. The King, wanting to reward the man, asked his name. No-one knew the man's name, but many told the King that he is just a Chimney Sweep. The King declared that from that day that Chimney Sweeps should be regarded as Lucky!
The chimney has been a part of family life since the early Romans first realized that it was better to live in a nice, fire-warmed home than in a chilly one. They needed a way to funnel off the smoke the fires caused. Centuries later, in medieval times, fireplaces were invented to heat individual rooms and provide a safe place for indoor cooking. They soon learned that fireplaces and their chimneys needed a cleaning as a house full of soot and fumes is unhealthy. And so, chimney sweeping developed into a necessary profession. People liked having the chimney sweep pay a visit as he brought clean, fresh air back to the home.
Sweeps are associated with hearth and home, and thus domestic bliss. Chimney Sweeps became a sign of good health and prosperity.

moreluck

golden ticket member
WINNERS AND WINNERS (Al Covino)

As a high school coach, I did all I could to help my boys win their games. I rooted as hard for victory as they did.

A dramatic incident, however, following a game in which I officiated as a referee, changed my perspective on victories and defeats. I was refereeing a league championship basketball game in New Rochelle, New York, between New Rochelle and Yonkers High.

New Rochelle was coached by Dan O'Brien, Yonkers by Les Beck. The gym was crowded to capacity, and the volume of noise made it impossible to hear. The game was well played and closely contested. Yonkers was leading by one point as I glanced at the clock and discovered there were but 30 seconds left to play.

Yonkers, in possession of the ball, passed off - shot - missed. New Rochelle recovered - pushed the ball up court - shot. The ball rolled tantalizingly around the rim and off. The fans shrieked.

New Rochelle, the home team, recovered the ball, and tapped it in for what looked like victory. The tumult was deafening. I glanced at the clock and saw that the game was over. I hadn't heard the final buzzer because of the noise. I checked with the other official, but he could not help me.

Still seeking help in this bedlam, I approached the timekeeper, a young man of 17 or so. He said, "Mr. Covino, the buzzer went off as the ball rolled off the rim, before the final tap-in was made."

I was in the unenviable position of having to tell Coach O'Brien the sad news. "Dan," I said, "time ran out before the final basket was tapped in. Yonkers won the game."
His face clouded over. The young timekeeper came up. He said, "I'm sorry, Dad. The time ran out before the final basket."

Suddenly, like the sun coming out from behind a cloud, Coach O'Brien's face lit up. He said, "That's okay, Joe. You did what you had to do. I'm proud of you."
Turning to me, he said, "Al, I want you to meet my son, Joe."
The two of them then walked off the court together, the coach's arm around his son's shoulder