Strike

Off the leash

Was driving home . Then on picket line for 2 weeks. Helped out at the Reno Airport picket and the South lake Tahoe picket.
One Sunday at the airport I was the only one who showed up until one of the UPS pilots showed up to help . They were not
on strike but he was a great guy for doing that.

i do remember at first it was a light hearted atmosphere. Most of the public supported us. As time went on it got more stressful. If the company had gone one more week or so they would have broken us. A lot of feeder drivers were talking about caving if it went a month.
Feeders wouldn’t have mattered really

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I was working in a VHS distributor warehouse. When popular movies released we got a feeder PU. Got to see the strike effects from the other side, I remember the first RPS pick up we got. Guy showed up at 8:30 at night.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was working in a VHS distributor warehouse. When popular movies released we got a feeder PU. Got to see the strike effects from the other side, I remember the first RPS pick up we got. Guy showed up at 8:30 at night.
Most of the hourly people who worked on the docks supported us. Not like the management/office types.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We got a lot of support walking the line. Some of the other unions would drop off drinks and food. We had a UPS co-pilot come out and walk with us one day. We had one driver ride by and empty his Glock into the air one night, that was memorable. A lot of people would drive by and honk their horns and wave to show support. The day we got back to work, two Delta pilots came out of their houses and shook my hand. Airline pilots are very union supportive. I doubt that we would get the same public support today as we did back then.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We got a lot of support walking the line. Some of the other unions would drop off drinks and food. We had a UPS co-pilot come out and walk with us one day. We had one driver ride by and empty his Glock into the air one night, that was memorable. A lot of people would drive by and honk their horns and wave to show support. The day we got back to work, two Delta pilots came out of their houses and shook my hand. Airline pilots are very union supportive. I doubt that we would get the same public support today as we did back then.
We got 100% support from UPS pilots, not a single one crossed the line.

Karma...

the strike in 1997 was mostly a summer vacation where ups and the union agreed to let those who still had vacations, optionals and sick days use them. many shippers didnt come back so it was an early " better not bigger " situation.....

Off the leash

that wasn't much of a strike compared to the strike in 1976.....sept to dec
I was a rookie in 1990, and I heard it was a tough time in 76 from the old drivers. In 97 I had a house under construction so I was very concerned that it was gonna last awhile.