Summer is almost here...ugh

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Yea so, summertime is coming and though it brings many good things (half naked chicks prancing around the pool at the apt complexes :w00t: :thumbup1: ), it also brings the one thing most UPSers dread...God awful heat. Don't get me wrong, I love turning my browns into whites from all the salt that accumulates throughout 100 degree day with 100% humidity. Or walking into an office bldg and the receptionist (who sits in clear view of a window) asks if it's raining. Or walking in the front door and the first thing that comes out of my wife's mouth, "Wow, you really stink!" (Thanks, for stating the obvious, John Madden..)

I was just wondering if you guys have any unusual tips or tricks on how to beat the heat.

Pip

Yea so, summertime is coming and though it brings many good things (half naked chicks prancing around the pool at the apt complexes :w00t: :thumbup1: ), it also brings the one thing most UPSers dread...God awful heat. Don't get me wrong, I love turning my browns into whites from all the salt that accumulates throughout 100 degree day with 100% humidity. Or walking into an office bldg and the receptionist (who sits in clear view of a window) asks if it's raining. Or walking in the front door and the first thing that comes out of my wife's mouth, "Wow, you really stink!" (Thanks, for stating the obvious, John Madden..)

I was just wondering if you guys have any unusual tips or tricks on how to beat the heat.

Just keep repeating to yourselves, "I can't wait for peak season" !!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I deal with it mentally by trying not to worry about it. Drink as much water as possible Try to walk in the shade whenever you can. I have heard of people soaking a bandanna and putting it around their neck to cool off, although I haven't tried that yet. The best thing I do is take three of my vacation weeks off, two weeks in Hawaii this July!:tongue_sm

browniehound

I happpen to like working in the heat. I lose 5-10 pounds every summer and it makes me feel good. Once I work up a sweat, the heat doesn't bother me. I'm not talkng 115 degrees here, just 95-100.

I much rather deal with heat than 2 feet of snow.

tups

I'll take two shirts with me for the day. When one gets soaked in sweat, I take it off, completely soak it with water, and hang it on the mirror to dry. I'll wear the second shirt until that one gets soaked through, and do the same thing again. For me this pretty much eliminates the sweat stains and stench. And sometimes out in the house calls where no one can find me, the shirt comes off altogether and its, just a t-shirt for a while.

DS

Fenderbender
Call me weird but I love it when its hot and humid.
In Toronto it goes from bad in October to worse in January
and its not really warm till May...I`d rather be dripping sweat
than delivering in weather that the ink in your pen freezes,and tracking labels do not stick.Shivering all the way back to the bldg.
I try to think of it as having a sauna that I cant afford,and
I`m getting paid for it!
In July and Aug it gets really hot here..112F in the back of my truck.
I suggest lots of fresh cold water.
take a vitamin in the morning,avoid milk and ice cream,
eat light during the day,pasta salad is nice when its hot.
Dont hang out in the back of your truck.
RTS keep refrigerated pkgs.

huskres

112 degrees in the back of the truck would be freakin awesome. How bout 112 in the shade? So about 140 or so in the truck.

SmithBarney

Heres a tip to beat the heat.. or at least use it to your advantage..
buy a pack of pre cooked chicken nuggets or fingers(your choice or anything precooked) wrap it tightly in foil... throw it on the shelf in the morning and by
about noon(or earlier depending on location) you'll have a nice hot "home cooked" meal for lunch.

As for keeping cool, know which stops have A/C spend a couple more seconds following up on your "sales lead" there, and the ones that have no a/c make sure you get out fast so you can get to your next A/C stop...

Also, Try not to pay attention to the fact that many FedEx Express Trucks have A/C.

Raw

Raw Member
112 degrees in the back of the truck would be freakin awesome. How bout 112 in the shade? So about 140 or so in the truck.
Actually a fellow driver one year put a thermometer in the back of the pkg. car and it hit `160 :w00t:

oldster

Best method I ever found to help keep cool. Get a water bottle with a spray nozzel. Keep it in the cab, behind the instrument panel. Just mist yourself in the face every few stop and let the evaporation help cool you down.

local804

Was done in our center also. Driver had a meat thermometer in the back of the truck. I think it only topped out at 140, was too long ago to remember. Its a good thing the UPS trucks have all the vents on top of the truck.(sarcasm)

disneyworld

I happpen to like working in the heat. I lose 5-10 pounds every summer and it makes me feel good. Once I work up a sweat, the heat doesn't bother me. I'm not talkng 115 degrees here, just 95-100.

I much rather deal with heat than 2 feet of snow.
Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
Bid a feeder route. I once heard a feeder driver complain that he couldn't regulate his A/C. It was too cold. Now don't you feel sorry for a guy like that.

raceanoncr

I ask the mechanic to change the A/C filter. Seems to help ME beat the sweltering heat, while riding on air-cushioned seat, air-ride cab, air-ride suspension, power steering, XM radio blasting, making MY two stops a shift! If that don't work, I just turn it up a notch! Yes, I AM being a smart***!

brett636

I ask the mechanic to change the A/C filter. Seems to help ME beat the sweltering heat, while riding on air-cushioned seat, air-ride cab, air-ride suspension, power steering, XM radio blasting, making MY two stops a shift! If that don't work, I just turn it up a notch! Yes, I AM being a smart***!

I heard that if you go into feeders the extra money you make goes into replacing all your clothes that don't fit anymore. :thumbup1:

Sammie

Yea so, summertime is coming and though it brings many good things (half naked chicks prancing around the pool at the apt complexes :w00t: :thumbup1: ), it also brings the one thing most UPSers dread...God awful heat.

Cool ties for cool guys. Sounds like a nice idea. I might order one for somebody around here... :mellow:

See attached link...

http://www.solvangmall.com/cool/cool.htm