Sundays: Will We Follow UPS?

MassWineGuy

I haven’t been following the issue so I could have an erroneous understanding. But the guy at my local UPS store told me it’s a certainty that UPS will start doing Sunday deliveries. If anyone on the UPS forum knows any details, please chime in.

If it happens, will FedEx do the same? And how, without paying massive amounts in overtime?

Rutherford B Hays

gun accipere, et abire cannoli
I haven’t been following the issue so I could have an erroneous understanding. But the guy at my local UPS store told me it’s a certainty that UPS will start doing Sunday deliveries. If anyone on the UPS forum knows any details, please chime in.

If it happens, will FedEx do the same? And how, without paying massive amounts in overtime?

The guy in the UPS store is smoking crack.
UPS is losing money on Saturday ground would lose even more with Sunday delivery

Rutherford B Hays

When does Mondays volume arrive? If it’s there Sunday and they can run a sort and deliver it for less, then yes that’s what will eventually happen.
Here it arrives on Saturday and is processed on the preload Saturday for Monday delivery. Is there enough (profitable) pickup volume on Saturdays to economically justify a Sunday delivery day?
Maybe well into the future, but not that anyone can say they have heard from a reliable source that it is a definite thing

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Here it arrives on Saturday and is processed on the preload Saturday for Monday delivery. Is there enough (profitable) pickup volume on Saturdays to economically justify a Sunday delivery day?
Maybe well into the future, but not that anyone can say they have heard from a reliable source that it is a definite thing
You advance Monday’s work to Sunday with 22.4 doing the preload into a five hour dispatch. 9-10 hours. You come in Monday, route is whacked, peace out. Sounds good? No money.

Rutherford B Hays

You advance Monday’s work to Sunday with 22.4 doing the preload into a five hour dispatch. 9-10 hours. You come in Monday, route is whacked, peace out. Sounds good? No money.
Most of the Monday work is business that is closed on Saturday. They going to be open on Sunday?
giphy (43).gif

Rutherford B Hays

Except that you are eliminating their position, therefore not paying part time benefits and pensions, making the whole operation cheaper. Hey, you know it all. Drop another mic. It’s all good. You are probably the smartest man alive. Good day sir.
Sorry didn't mean to voice my opinion and give an opposing view.

giphy (43).gif

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
@Rutherford B Hays is a savage wit the mic drops :laugh::shifty:

Yo, Ive literally asked a sup about the possibility of Sunday's at UPS and he just laughed saying Saturdays are a joke.
Id work a Sunday thru Saturday if they let me. Ptffft, but no

It will be fine

We as Express will probably not follow, ground on the other hand....
We’re hearing Sundays this peak and then forever going forward. Good times. They can’t staff preload for the six day operation but somehow seven will work better. I can’t wait to find the one guy to work Sunday that’ll cover my whole area with his ten stops, gotta compete with Amazon. SMH

bacha29

We’re hearing Sundays this peak and then forever going forward. Good times. They can’t staff preload for the six day operation but somehow seven will work better. I can’t wait to find the one guy to work Sunday that’ll cover my whole area with his ten stops, gotta compete with Amazon. SMH
Even in the small rural town I live in the USPS is running around here on Sundays and have been doing for the least the past several months. The point is why go out there on Saturday and Sunday delivering a third of a load each day only to find yourself back out there on Monday running over the same territory dropping that remaining third of a load ?Moreover, what if you get a big snowstorm on a Friday night? At least over the weekend you'll have a chance to get the roads opened back up.
If you want to know what kind of feces are going to hit the fan in the coming days then all you have to do is to pay attention to Fat Freddy's address to shareholders and the business media. It was 6 or 7 years ago when he told Ground about all stolen motor freight coming their way along with the merging of Ground and HD and it's been a couple of years or more since he told you that you would be running weekends.
For rural contractors finding somebody clean enough and sober enough to run on weekends will be a monumental challenge let alone holiday weekends But, then again they wanted in there badly enough so nobody's going to feel sorry for them. It's conform or get out......Losing money or can't find anybody willing to go out on weekends or on a holiday or in an ice storm ? Then contractors get your legs limbered up and go find a uniform that fits because chances are you're going to be the next lucky contestant.