Sup Work Vs Part time work

HazMatMan

Curious. How does a sup demonstrating a fast unload rate lead to missed pieces?

Read my post, or let me explain it as if it was happening to me. Ok sup is training someone to unload, sup is unloading super fast, either to show off, to brainwash the worker to think he needs to unload that fast, whatever the case, so the pkgs are coming out of the trailer too fast for me to sort them because I am not going to kill myself to get them all sorted, so you have missed pieces. Now the boss comes over to me to ask why am I missing all these pieces and I point right inside the trailer and say "talk to that idiot who's unloading, which is the training sup.. DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!

wilberforce15

Read my post, or let me explain it as if it was happening to me. Ok sup is training someone to unload, sup is unloading super fast, either to show off, to brainwash the worker to think he needs to unload that fast, whatever the case, so the pkgs are coming out of the trailer too fast for me to sort them because I am not going to kill myself to get them all sorted, so you have missed pieces. Now the boss comes over to me to ask why am I missing all these pieces and I point right inside the trailer and say "talk to that idiot who's unloading, which is the training sup.. DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!

How could you possibly have trouble sorting 1400 pph? Especially if they do proper label-facing? MAR here is 1200, and it takes very little experience and middle-of-the-road effort to get to that.

tieguy

Banned
Read my post, or let me explain it as if it was happening to me. Ok sup is training someone to unload, sup is unloading super fast, either to show off, to brainwash the worker to think he needs to unload that fast, whatever the case, so the pkgs are coming out of the trailer too fast for me to sort them because I am not going to kill myself to get them all sorted, so you have missed pieces. Now the boss comes over to me to ask why am I missing all these pieces and I point right inside the trailer and say "talk to that idiot who's unloading, which is the training sup.. DO YOU
UNDERSTAND!!!!

So you're going to blame your missorts on the training sup. Ever see the unload video? Guy in the movie looks like he is moving slow. If you do the flow count on him he is unloading about 1500 / hour. Good methods can help you do so without having to show off or brainwash anyone.

W

westsideworma

Is it me or are most of the part-time sups like 20 years old that when given the chance to train someone would rather show off and demonstrate that they can do an unload at 1500 pph or a preload at 200+ pph. What a joke.

um they WANT us to do 209pph now (I say want because they can't require it...contract has no such numbers). When i started it was 170pph was acceptable, when PAS started 180pph was acceptable, maybe I'm missing something but I could swear I'm still doing the same job...whats the deal with that? Tie I'm asking you I guess because you're in management.

I mean in my instance I was loading at about 190-200 an hour, checking and peeling every label and not having misloads, they gave me a new car and I had to jack it up to 230-240, not checking every package and getting misloads (1 or more every other day pretty much) in order to finish. How is this a good idea? I'm not trying to be a smart @$$ or anything. I just don't get it. I was making perfect (or near perfect) service every week...now I'm not. Somehow this is better?

I've wondered about this topic myself for my brief employment at UPS. I had an odd encounter with this the other week. My sup told me to come with him so I followed. We came to a big stack of packages. He then told me to watch. So I did. He loaded about 20 packages onto a pallet and after I while I started to feel guilty I wasn't doing anything. So I tried to help but he said I couldn't since he was training. So then he proceeded to load probably about another 20 packages onto the pallet then told me to go back to work. My guess is he wanted to load all the packages onto the pallet in the first place but couldn't so he decided to call me over and pretend like he was training me for something that I haven't ever participated in since then. Just thought this was kinda funny.

trickpony1

I've wondered about this topic myself for my brief employment at UPS. I had an odd encounter with this the other week. My sup told me to come with him so I followed. We came to a big stack of packages. He then told me to watch. So I did. He loaded about 20 packages onto a pallet and after I while I started to feel guilty I wasn't doing anything. So I tried to help but he said I couldn't since he was training. So then he proceeded to load probably about another 20 packages onto the pallet then told me to go back to work. My guess is he wanted to load all the packages onto the pallet in the first place but couldn't so he decided to call me over and pretend like he was training me for something that I haven't ever participated in since then. Just thought this was kinda funny.

Welcome to the psychological indoctrination that is so prevalent by management.
Your supe knows you will remember that episode forever and that it will strike fear in you.

W

westsideworma

Curious. How does a sup demonstrating a fast unload rate lead to missed pieces?

on a preload that could lead to out of sync PALs...that happens a lot to us when they double team a load and yet we still do it everyday :smart:

brownIEman

Welcome to the psychological indoctrination that is so prevalent by management.
Your supe knows you will remember that episode forever and that it will strike fear in you.

umm, not sure if you are joking. If not, how, exactly, would this episode strike fear into anyone?

trickpony1

umm, not sure if you are joking. If not, how, exactly, would this episode strike fear into anyone?

The subtleness of it.

This manager was conveying a clear message to all the union brothers and sisters who happened to be observing that, "I'm in control"., "I can do what I want under the auspices of "training" when evryone knows this part-timer already knows how to stack boxes on a pallet".

It's meant to undermine the union ethic in that the part-timer should have said, "that's union work....I will do it." But didn't because he didn't know or was scared to.

....remember boys and girls, "control is important".

End of lesson