Supe loaded entire trailer, grieve?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Nah I'm just not gonna cause problems for my sup when he hasn't wronged me.
Someone called out so he jumped in a trailer to take some volume off me? What a stud, god bless him.

And this is how unions die.

Internal apathy to the point that we see the person taking our work away as a friend.

Integrity

Binge Poster
we staff to the working need + vacations + avg call outs + avg sick + avg no call no show + etc

like we literally already staff to assume people aren’t going to show, what more do you want dude if worthless people go above and beyond that to bojangle their way out of working
Call in list for people who want extra work.

VeeTeeGee

Call in list for people who want extra work.
They need to hire some more people then. We don't pay union dues so management can do our work

We have a call list, but only a single driver ever(sometimes) takes them up on it, and even then he only catches the last 2 hours of pre-load. And we've been hiring since the day I got here. Most can't handle the work, and why would they when they can flip burgers or work at Target for $15-16/hr to start. It takes a person with a specific kind of life to be able to show up at 3am and work 6-7 hours for less pay than almost everywhere else around here.

I really do think it's a small center versus big center/hub thing as well. When the big hubs have 4 people on pre-load missing, it's not a world ender and things can be shifted accordingly, plus they have a larger call sheet to find replacements. When we have 4 people missing, be it vacations, unexpected call ins, people going back to school, etc, we're down ~20-25% of our pre-load. The numbers just don't exist for us to pull from.

Either way, I understand the point that people make about management not doing union work, I just don't see it as a one size fits all sort of thing. ::shrug::

Integrity

Binge Poster
our belt supe encourages us to file on him when he has to load or pickoff,
I can understand this.
Many part-time sips only work when specifically directed by management above them.

When I was a part-time sup I never worked unless directed to and when I did, I always submitted a timecard and added my hours into the operations report.

OKLABob

Yea, I feel like some people take this "us versus them" thing waaaay too seriously. It seems like it's much more a big hub thing than small center though. Half of the posts I see here seem like people working for an entirely different company. Our entire pre-load, union and mgmt, just wants to get it done asap and go home. We only miss getting OT ~2 days a month though, so it isn't like we're hurting for hours, and I guess that is part of what drives the divide at other centers. But man...I'm perfectly content to let non-union do union work on days where people call in so that I'm not completely :censored2:ed for 8 or 9 hours and the drivers for 11+. Who has time for that nonsense?

Edit: And for what it's worth, I absolutely believe that some centers are just plain :censored2: to work at. And that management can be absurdly overbearing to downright hostile at those places. It's just so odd to see posts from what is almost a different world compared to my experiences. I had a choice between a major hub or a smaller center when I was applying since I live pretty much equidistant to them both, and there is zero doubt in my mind that I chose correctly. Nothing beats rolling up at 2:59 for a 3:00 start and still making it with time to spare.
I’m there to make money not be buddy buddy golf partners with my supervisors. Your right we wanna work and go home but when you are getting railed out all week and they 9.5 your ass every single day you get tired of it. If I see any of my sups touching packages preload or not I’ll file on it. If they need :censored2: done that quick I’ll punch in early and go unload trailers with preload. I’m assuming you are a part timer.

Observer

Unfortunately, the company always understaffs. Been doing it for years. Grieve, grieve, grieve. It's a shame that group grievances are not encouraged in some centers. People who work in a small center count your blessings. I believe there is a harassment section in the master. Good luck.