Switched shifts, told not to come in on my first day.

Avediant

Today I switched shifts at my hub (I am a part time worker), however, when I called in I was told by the full time supervisor that he was unaware of my transfer and that I would not be working today.

However, ~3 weeks ago I had submitted a letter requesting to transfer (due to school related reasons) and given it to my previous shifts full time supervisor. A week or two later I was given confirmation that I was good to go and would be switching over to the new shift on the 10th of January.

Once again, I called in today and the supervisor told me he was unaware of my transfer and that there was low volume so I wouldn't be working, contradicting what my previous shift's supervisor had told me. When I asked why I wouldn't be working, he reiterated that there was low volume and that I was "at the bottom" since I transferred shifts. I have been working at this hub for 7 months and am past my probationary period.

My question is, am I guaranteed work every day? Or am I misinterpreting Article 22, section 5, (d). of the contract which states "All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee".

As a follow-up, am I correct in saying that despite the fact I'm "at the bottom" in regards to job classification seniority on this new shift, I still retain all of my other rights which having seniority provides (including the 3.5 hour daily guarantee)?

I'm just confused at this situation and am curious as to if I misinterpreted the contract, or whether I have the right to file a grievance in order to get pay for this day which I was told not to come in. Any help/clarification would be appreciated!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Today I switched shifts at my hub (I am a part time worker), however, when I called in I was told by the full time supervisor that he was unaware of my transfer and that I would not be working today.

However, ~3 weeks ago I had submitted a letter requesting to transfer (due to school related reasons) and given it to my previous shifts full time supervisor. A week or two later I was given confirmation that I was good to go and would be switching over to the new shift on the 10th of January.

Once again, I called in today and the supervisor told me he was unaware of my transfer and that there was low volume so I wouldn't be working, contradicting what my previous shift's supervisor had told me. When I asked why I wouldn't be working, he reiterated that there was low volume and that I was "at the bottom" since I transferred shifts. I have been working at this hub for 7 months and am past my probationary period.

My question is, am I guaranteed work every day? Or am I misinterpreting Article 22, section 5, (d). of the contract which states "All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee".

As a follow-up, am I correct in saying that despite the fact I'm "at the bottom" in regards to job classification seniority on this new shift, I still retain all of my other rights which having seniority provides (including the 3.5 hour daily guarantee)?

I'm just confused at this situation and am curious as to if I misinterpreted the contract, or whether I have the right to file a grievance in order to get pay for this day which I was told not to come in. Any help/clarification would be appreciated!
Find your steward and speak with him about this

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I would press it. PT get very few hours as it is. Losing even a little bit is a big deal. They will find something for you to do. Even if they seem angry at you for showing up. I promise.

Have them train you on the light day lol.

Avediant

Find your steward and speak with him about this
That's what I was planning to do! I'm still rather new as far as the company goes (7 months still lol) so I wanted to make sure I wasn't in the wrong here.
I would press it. PT get very few hours as it is. Losing even a little bit is a big deal. They will find something for you to do. Even if they seem angry at you for showing up. I promise.

Have them train you on the light day lol.
Agreed! I will talk to my steward tomorrow and see about it, I assume they'll schedule me tomorrow but I still want my 3 1/2 hours for today nonetheless.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That's what I was planning to do! I'm still rather new as far as the company goes (7 months still lol) so I wanted to make sure I wasn't in the wrong here.

Agreed! I will talk to my steward tomorrow and see about it, I assume they'll schedule me tomorrow but I still want my 3 1/2 hours for today nonetheless.
If any body with less seniority than you worked then it’s an easy win

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...when put to work....

You need to go in to your building and get this sorted out in person-----doing it over the phone won't work.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board

...when put to work....

You need to go in to your building and get this sorted out in person-----doing it over the phone won't work.
You're never guaranteed work.