TDU goes down again

image.png

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If he wins, which is likely, he will step down long before the next General Election.He will give way to KH, actually he already has long ago.

Winning, is a "forgone conclusion".

Look where the IBT is at. A convention in Las Vegas, with a bunch of guys in red vests, sending out paper ballots in the mail.

I am trying to understand your thoughts.

Help me out.

Taking on a 21st century technological giant.

The company has the financial resources, to afford Union Labor.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Winning, is a "forgone conclusion".

I am trying to understand your thoughts.

Help me out.

The company has the financial resources, to afford Union Labor.

-Bug-

I agree with you that Hoffa will win in a walk and then hand the reigns over to Hall.

Oldupsman hit the nail on the head-----the IBT needs to join the rest of the world in the 21st century, both in technology and mindset.

His comments had nothing to do with the ability of the company to afford Union Labor.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One example off the top of my head would be the use of social media for organizing campaigns.
So, you think that might work better than sending old semi-retired guys, in windbreakers and ancient Teamster hats, reeking of coffee and cigarettes, who are owed a favor on the way out for decades of "loyalty"?o_O

oldupsman

One example off the top of my head would be the use of social media for organizing campaigns.
So, you think that might work better than sending old semi-retired guys, in windbreakers and ancient Teamster hats, reeking of coffee and cigarettes."?o_O

Exactly what I'm talking about. And paper ballots in the mail. How about electronic voting. Your participation rate would
increase dramatically. Of course I'm not sure the IBT really wants that to happen.

Of course the company can afford union labor. Couldn't agree more. So why are always giving things back?
Now some are going to say, Well you got a 70 cent raise. We should. The company made a net profit of how much last year?
Well your health care is better than most. Well, why shouldn't it be. The company made a net profit of how much last year?
What's next, 5 year progression?

Yes I know it's called bargaining. Okay, how about only 50 cent raise and back to 3 year progression?
The two tier wage progression is the worse thing that has ever happened. It creates division within the rank and file.
Did I mention the company made a net profit of how much last year.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How about electronic voting. Your participation rate would increase dramatically.

I'm not so sure about that???

Do you really think that someone who won't mark a ballot and return it in a self addressed "stamped" envelope, will somehow instead take the time to to register electronically and create a PIN# in order to vote?

...and don't get me started on the security and transparency aspects of such a system.

oldupsman

Do you really think that someone who won't mark a ballot and return it in a self addressed "stamped" envelope, will somehow instead take the time to to register electronically and create a PIN# in order to vote?

...and don't get me started on the security and transparency aspects of such a system.

I think young people would much more inclined to vote that way than paper ballots. Half of them don't
even know the post office delivers mail to a box.
I understand your security concerns. But how many horror stories have you heard about paper ballots being
lost or never even showing up or showing up late. And who really knows how many paper ballots
just disappear. No it wouldn't be easy. But the IBT has to join the 21st century sometime.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Exactly what I'm talking about. And paper ballots in the mail. How about electronic voting. Your participation rate would
increase dramatically. Of course I'm not sure the IBT really wants that to happen.

Of course the company can afford union labor. Couldn't agree more. So why are always giving things back?
Now some are going to say, Well you got a 70 cent raise. We should. The company made a net profit of how much last year?
Well your health care is better than most. Well, why shouldn't it be. The company made a net profit of how much last year?
What's next, 5 year progression?

Yes I know it's called bargaining. Okay, how about only 50 cent raise and back to 3 year progression?
The two tier wage progression is the worse thing that has ever happened. It creates division within the rank and file.
Did I mention the company made a net profit of how much last year.
Think about how much money an electronic ballot would save.

10 point

I think young people would much more inclined to vote that way than paper ballots. Half of them don't
even know the post office delivers mail to a box.
I understand your security concerns. But how many horror stories have you heard about paper ballots being
lost or never even showing up or showing up late. And who really knows how many paper ballots
just disappear. No it wouldn't be easy. But the IBT has to join the 21st century sometime.
Bingo. "Lost" ballots. Who would believe?

Some even lose them at home. So maybe if 80% of the membership voted the "lost" ballots wouldn't mean as much.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I understand the thought. Social Media is not the "be all to end all".

It could be used a tool.... But, nothing beats good old fashion leg work.

And then, you need to understand the motivation (and willingness)

of the group you are trying to organize. There are a lot of factors. Trust me.

So, you think that might work better than sending old semi-retired guys, in windbreakers and ancient Teamster hats, reeking of coffee and cigarettes, who are owed a favor on the way out for decades of "loyalty"?o_O

Personally, I've never seen that happen.

How about electronic voting. Your participation rate would increase dramatically. Of course I'm not sure the IBT really wants that to happen.

Who knows, what the cost to implement something like that would be.

And then it's only used once, every five years.

With the constant advancement in technology.... it (could) be a waste money.

Yep.

I think young people would much more inclined to vote that way than paper ballots. Half of them don't even know the post office delivers mail to a box.

That issue should be addressed by the education system.... not the IBT.

(They don't even teach cursive writing anymore)

So maybe if 80% of the membership voted the "lost" ballots wouldn't mean as much.

And.... we have a winner. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Holydriver

If he wins, which is likely, he will step down long before the next General Election.
He will give way to KH, actually he already has long ago.
This is a time honored tradition in the Teamsters, as it is always infinitely easier to win an election as an incumbent, than as a challenger.

This quote is in relation to governmental politics, but seems applicable to Union politics, but at an accelerated rate:

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”
Alexander Fraser Tytler
wow, this quote is pretty much summing up america, huh? vote in the free stuff, thatll get us there!