Teamster Legal Services

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by oneanddone, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:24 AM.

1. PT Crazy

PT Crazy Member

Say bye bye to half of your pension.

2. Brown287

Brown287 Im not the Mail Man!

I’m out west and have used the services for my divorce. Any questions PM me.

3. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Active Member

The legal service is good but, you still need to make sure you get the best lawyer for your situation.

4. wide load

wide load Starting wage is a waste of time.

Mine has offered a legal benefit for decades.

5. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

I used the benefit when my ex took me back to court, got a great firm I still use today for stuff. They gave me a set amount off the top and a discount for hours over the allotment. Well worth it, just do your due diligence and make sure you get a good lawyer/firm.

6. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

Wow! Something....you are not all-knowing about. Odd. Lol.

7. browndevil

browndevil Well-Known Member

I have. My divorce was amicable. We just needed the lawyer to draft the documents and submit to the court.

8. Sickofit

Sickofit watching the show

At which point in the process do you know you got a "good lawyer/firm"?

9. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

I've heard of Local's doing that, just don't know of any.

My Local would never consider it.

10. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Have used legal services for several things over the years. The attorneys were always free.

11. cachmeifucan

cachmeifucan Well-Known Member

We have it out here not sure how it works. I looked into it 1 time I thought I remembered it saying it would help with divorce if everyone agrees so if you guys not in agreement maybe no help.

12. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

You can use it for almost anything. I did when we bought our house (no charge), my kid got a speeding ticket (no charge) and divorce stuff after the fact (charged at a discounted rate once the set amount they give you was used up). It's a nice benefit to have.

13. What'dyabringmetoday???

"My" local does. Often times you are better off securing your own attorney. (Not a slam on Teamsters but on the lawyer in our area).

14. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

If you don’t like or cannot find an acceptable attorney in your area. Any attorney can represent you under the plan if they fill out the teamsters legal paperwork.

15. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

Why not?....does your Local perceive a liability in doing so???

16. What'dyabringmetoday???

Yes- I have gotten reimbursed a few times. Probably could have included that in previous post.

17. Rack em

Rack em 2018 Brown Cafe Fantasy Football Champion

Agreed. I have multiple coworkers who have gone through a divorce and used our union lawyer and they say he is not easy to work with for a divorce. He is good at handling other things, but not divorce. So to the OP, get some feedback from your coworkers if they have used the lawyer/firm for a divorce and see if they have positive things to say. If not, then shop around for a lawyer who will get the job done right.

18. BigUnionGuy

That's exactly why.

Someone doesn't like the outcome of their case, and tries to blame the Local.

19. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

Kinda like they do with our pension and health and welfare benefits???

Does your Local run the American Income Life Insurance scam on your members like mine does every year???

20. BigUnionGuy

My Local has had members try sue over panel decisions.

No.