Terminated for DOT violation (working over 14 hrs)

UPSGUY72

I do the same thing frequently as the op does and my sups are very good at making sure I am off the clock by 14 hours. The couple of times they kept giving me additional work which would have put me over, I am calling sups or center manager to say hey let's go, where am I meeting a driver to give what's left, if I could not get them, I would tell the OMS I am going over I need you to get them on the phone. But as stated above you are allowed a 16 hour day once a week

He still 10 off before his next shift starts.

UPSGUY72

I am a preloader and also an air driver, at least i was because i just got fired... this morning i clocked in at 3:40am and worked my pre load job until 8:35am then i went on and clocked back in as an air driver untill 11:00am, before i got back to the building i got a message on my DIAD saying to go deliver some LIB packages. so i did. then before i came back from that i got another message saying that i was supposed to go help a driver because he was too backed up. So i did, I went to meet him (and while iI waited for him at the meet point I took a break and ate) , then I took 50 stops off him and i went to deliver them. I knew i was gonna be over my 14 hrs so i called my center, I told them I needed to talk to my supervisor. they said he was on route and there was noone else there. I called him to his cell phone several times and he never answered, I had ten stops left and i got them delivered because i didnt want to get in trouble.. by the time i got back it was already 6:25pm. They fired me on the spot saying that I violated the DOT requirements by going over 14 hrs and since I had been trained on it I didnt have an excuse....

I was told by my union store to go and take a grievance to the Teamsters building and go from there.

Has this ever happen to anybody? if so, did you get your job back?

You violated the 14 rule and would have violated the 10 role if you punched in at the same time the next morning. You are responsible for your hrs not UPS. There gave a requirement from the dot to report hos violations. You should have told the oms clerk and they could have pasted the info on. You didn't...

Brownpride816

Hello UPSers, I just wanted to tell you that everything turned out alright. I got a call from my union steward and he said they offered me a day of suspension and to go back to work tomorrow. ofcourse I took the offer. thank you for the people who answered and I hope if someone get in this situation this can help them, because I was freaking out.

trickpony1

Hello UPSers, I just wanted to tell you that everything turned out alright. I got a call from my union steward and he said they offered me a day of suspension and to go back to work tomorrow. ofcourse I took the offer. thank you for the people who answered and I hope if someone get in this situation this can help them, because I was freaking out.

Don't do these people any favors. You have seen what happens when you do.
Always CYA.

UPSGUY72

Are they going to let you drive?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Glad to hear things worked out for you :happy-very:. Keep in mind that the main reason they brought you back so quick is because it is peak and they need every warm body on the street. Any other time of year and they might have let you sweat for a couple weeks.

packageguy

1st of all, if you were doing your job that would not have happend. You were doing ground where I'm from that's a no no, Drivers should put a greivence against supervisor. good luck

UPSGUY72

1st of all, if you were doing your job that would not have happend. You were doing ground where I'm from that's a no no, Drivers should put a greivence against supervisor. I hope you job your job back, good luck

As long as they are getting paid FT ground rate there shouldn't be a problem.

There wouldn't have been a problem if he told the oms clerk he was going to go over 14 hrs, instead of just asking for a SUP. He also should have sent a message on the DIAD that he needs to be off the clock by such and such time or he going to be over 14.

He is lucky that he got his job back so soon. The question is did he get his driving position back?

Last edited:

Buck Fifty

thing !

Well hell brother, you worked over 14 and were out for less. Make sure you grieve the suspension. Please tell me you didn't sign any! If you did, don't ever do that again either . Welcome Back

A

anonymous6

i'm curious. are they still saying you violated?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Lesson learned: always explain to the first management person the problem. Write in the diad and send. Multiple times if no response. Phone call, same thing. OMS are management.

Had a center manager alter a timecard to put me under 14 a couple years ago. Started at midnight, hour lunch at 6:00 to 7:00, preload until 8:45am. airs/ground 8:45 to 3:06. Six minutes over. The center was well aware I took 45 stops off a rural area driver, beyond air route/area and that it would be early impossible to do in a timely, safe manner (rental). center manager is a decent man and manager so I rolled with it.

bluehdmc

Glad you got your job back.

Next time if someone doesn't reply or tells you to stay out there at the 14th hour find a safe place to park and tell them to come get you.

Brownpride816

thats the main point i leaned here. from now on I will just get to the building, get my EDD, do my work and go home, I am not helping anybody anymore

Brownpride816

@upsguy72 you are right, I should have told them instead of asking for a supervisor, and sent a message on the DIAD.. I didnt know this,i do know, I guess thats how you get experience.. i DID get it back. I drove on friday and I didnt ground today,

BTW yeah we do get $16.70 (starting pay i believe) when we deliver ground

Brownpride816

they said a grievance was not necessary at that point. I didnt sign anything, although they WANTED me to. I just said NOPE have my union steward do that for me. thank you!!

Brownpride816

yeah brother, they still said i violated. They said I could go back to work, however, I did get suspended one day with no pay. I mean i just agreed to the "offer" but I didnt ask what my other options were, I guess just dont go back.