Texas Woman To Make Interesting Religious Freedom Challenge

wkmac

Joan Cheever said police infringed her religious freedom when they fined her $2,000 for feeding the homeless in San Antonio.

As she'd done every Tuesday for years, Cheever was giving out free meals from her food truck in a public park last week when police rolled up and started writing a ticket. Right away, she told the officers they were burdening her free exercise of religion, according to an on-the-scene report from Texas Public Radio. Cheever pointed to the federal and state Religious Freedom Restoration Acts -- the same kinds of laws that caused massive controversy in Indiana and Arkansas last month over concerns they would allow religious business owners to discriminate against the LGBT community.

A Texas Woman Might Use The 'Religious Freedom' Law In The Most Amazing Way Possible

smapple

I would say good on her except I would first like to know how the homeless in that area became homeless and why they remain homeless and if they're willing to work like death was at their door in order to get out of their situation.

wkmac

Snapple, That may be a question to ask at some point but the real question, how is it a crime for this lady or any of us for that matter to take our own time and the product of our own labor and give it to someone else regardless the reason?

If I can't freely give someone something on the grounds that there appears no evidence of having earned the gift, how long before Chistmas, birthday's, Mother's Day, a gift to the wife or husband become an illegal act as no evidence exists of one having earned it?

Why do we refuse to deeply think about the concept of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Besides, if enough people step up and feed those who can't feed themselves, doesn't that remove the need for the claim that taxpayers have too? Why beat down someone who is doing a service that could help said taxpayers?

Does it ever occur in the conversation that the woman is under assault in order to protect the status quo? Maybe your real question should be WHY?

smapple

Snapple, That may be a question to ask at some point but the real question, how is it a crime for this lady or any of us for that matter to take our own time and the product of our own labor and give it to someone else regardless the reason?

If I can't freely give someone something on the grounds that there appears no evidence of having earned the gift, how long before Chistmas, birthday's, Mother's Day, a gift to the wife or husband become an illegal act as no evidence exists of one having earned it?

Why do we refuse to deeply think about the concept of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Besides, if enough people step up and feed those who can't feed themselves, doesn't that remove the need for the claim that taxpayers have too? Why beat down someone who is doing a service that could help said taxpayers?

Does it ever occur in the conversation that the woman is under assault in order to protect the status quo? Maybe your real question should be WHY?

If the reason for their homelessness is self inflicted via addiction/abusive habits/mental illness/criminal behavior then I would say any charity other than getting at the root cause of the problem (their personal vices) is on net more harmful than beneficial.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I would say good on her except I would first like to know how the homeless in that area became homeless and why they remain homeless and if they're willing to work like death was at their door in order to get out of their situation.
a good percentage of the homeless in this country were thrown out on the streets when the Reagans shut off funding for the mentally retarded.

but I do agree that maybe a quarter of them are just lazy bums looking for continual handouts.

wkmac

If the reason for their homelessness is self inflicted via addiction/abusive habits/mental illness/criminal behavior then I would say any charity other than getting at the root cause of the problem (their personal vices) is on net more harmful than beneficial.

But in a free society, what she does with her time, her labor and her property/money is her free choice.

Maybe the keyword here is free society.

Sportello

That's exactly what Jesus would do.

Good on you, @smapple.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

When did mental illness become self inflicted?

smapple

a good percentage of the homeless in this country were thrown out on the streets when the Reagans shut off funding for the mentally retarded.

but I do agree that maybe a quarter of them are just lazy bums looking for continual handouts.

Not against giving handouts, if they're asking and you're willing then I don't see the harm. But on the other hand if your aid to them funds their drug habits then I don't see that helping anyone.
But in a free society, what she does with her time, her labor and her property/money is her free choice.

Maybe the keyword here is free society.

That assumes the repercussions of her actions stop once funds have been exchanged, which it doesn't.

what did they arrest her for? disturbing the peace?

Probably for attracting more homeless people to the area, which presents increased potential for spread of disease, safety problems, and also drives down property value.

That's exactly what Jesus would do.

Good on you, @smapple.

Actually he would've miraculous healed whatever problem ailed them that made them homeless in the first place. As for what the rest of us could do, I'd assume it's along the same lines by trying to resolve the issues that made them homeless.

When did mental illness become self inflicted?

Right, because giving food to a mentally ill homeless person solves the problem of his homelessness.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Right, because giving food to a mentally ill homeless person solves the problem of his homelessness.

Who said it did? I just asked when did mental illness become self inflicted? I realize you said homelessness of the mentally ill was self inflicted, but by the same token that means you are also saying mental illness is self inflicted.

smapple

Who said it did? I just asked when did mental illness become self inflicted? I realize you said homelessness of the mentally ill was self inflicted, but by the same token that means you are also saying mental illness is self inflicted.

I didn't comment on whether or not it's self inflicted because 1) I didn't bring it up and 2) it's irrelevant to the solution.