Thank you UPS!

aspenleaf

"...I want to know all about the McDreamies and the McSteamies in the Real World."

I don't usually brag like this, but I'm known as 'McBrownie' on my route!

:lol: That is funny. . .you were joking right?:tongue_sm I think we all need some pictures so we can vote on the brown cafe McBrownie - can you defend your self proclaimed title? As the cafe's nurse I will do the physcial exams - so what time works for you?

trickpony1

If you are a member of the "wine and roses" crowd immediately click the back button and exit this thread as my opinion may be contrary to yours.

Aspen-
If you value your license you may want to seek employment somewhere other than this company.
I am aware of a company nurse that is out of control. She has no peer to oversee her activities. She is given free rein. She has had numerous doctors call her to remind her that she is not a doctor. She has a bad habit of diagnosising which, I understand is illegal for nurses to do. She has had numerous complaints filed with the local Board of Nursing. Whose side do you think she is on?.......not the worker's. It's all about the bottom line. The company will have you doing things that could get your license suspended or revoked and you really don't have any choice in the matter. She has been caught interfering with and influencing the doctors to the deteriment of the employee.
Please use your efforts for patients that will appreciate it, not some big company trying to screw their employees.
Don't cast your pearls before swine!!!!!

Sammie

Aspen-
If you value your license you may want to seek employment somewhere other than this company.

Aspen, Trickpony has something there.

I have no medical training but I worked for a decade
in Safety with UPS company doctors. We went
through three company nurses during that time. Let’s
face it, employers want to lose as little of their
profit ability to health care and their goal, with
company doctors and nurses in tow, is to get the
injured employee back to work in record time…

IMO, these people receive a salary from a company, and
their primary loyalty is towards that company, which also
includes controlling workman’s comp costs… I would
think their job would be a conflict within itself when
they’re employed by a profit oriented corporation. Not to
rain on your parade Aspen, but I wouldn’t want to be the
one to decide which injured employee will or won’t be
terminated. Personally, I spent enough time in an
environment of lost credibility and mistrust.

trickpony1

Sammie-
Well said!

Our company has whored out the doctors at one nearby clinic to the point the doctors have no credibility in workers comp court.

The company is now pimping another clinic.

Aspen.....do you want to get involved in something like this? Think about it!

aspenleaf

If you are a member of the "wine and roses" crowd immediately click the back button and exit this thread as my opinion may be contrary to yours.

Aspen-
I am aware of a company nurse that is out of control. She has no peer to oversee her activities. She is given free rein. She has had numerous doctors call her to remind her that she is not a doctor. She has a bad habit of diagnosising which, I understand is illegal for nurses to do. She has had numerous complaints filed with the local Board of Nursing. Whose side do you think she is on?.......not the worker's. It's all about the bottom line. The company will have you doing things that could get your license suspended or revoked and you really don't have any choice in the matter. She has been caught interfering with and influencing the doctors to the deteriment of the employee.
Please use your efforts for patients that will appreciate it, not some big company trying to screw their employees.
Don't cast your pearls before swine!!!!!

Trick~ you don't have to worry about me. I have worked to hard for this license to lose it. I can't be a UPS nurse at this time anyway because I don't have a BSN. Just so you know most hospitals in my area are also concerned about the bottom line. It is very challenging to find a job where they don't care more about making money over people. I will do my research before I pick any job. I will not work outside of my scope of practice. When people ask me to "look" at something I tell them to see their doctor.

Before I would even consider being an occupational health nurse for any company I want a few years of experience. Personally I don't feel qualified for the UPS job. If the job is truly for a UPS puppet as you say I would not fit in. I actually will be working as an agency nurse this fall so I can try out several settings. I want to find a job that I like and I want to find a place that treats the staff well.

That nurse you mentioned does seem to be out of control and she might be under review. You can check your board of nursing website and see what actions she has against her. If you knew me at my previous job you would have no doubts as to my integrity for my patients.

Thank you for your reply. I hope all is well for you.

aspenleaf

Aspen, Trickpony has something there.

I have no medical training but I worked for a decade
in Safety with UPS company doctors. We went
through three company nurses during that time. Let’s
face it, employers want to lose as little of their
profit ability to health care and their goal, with
company doctors and nurses in tow, is to get the
injured employee back to work in record time…

IMO, these people receive a salary from a company, and
their primary loyalty is towards that company, which also
includes controlling workman’s comp costs… I would
think their job would be a conflict within itself when
they’re employed by a profit oriented corporation. Not to
rain on your parade Aspen, but I wouldn’t want to be the
one to decide which injured employee will or won’t be
terminated. Personally, I spent enough time in an
environment of lost credibility and mistrust.

Okay people I just became an RN so there is no parade to rain on. I just mentioned looking into a job with UPS because I like the company. I don't know why these nurses you have worked with have sold themselves out. I am an advocate for my patients and I would never force someone back to work injured (but I think the doctor determines that). Also I won't work for "creepy" doctors. I know what I have to do to protect myself and my license.

What I was thanking in my original post is that UPS paid for school and I reached one of my goals because of this company. I obviously can’t speak for the whole company across the globe; but in my small part of the world this company or the people in it have been wonderful.

satellitedriver

Okay people I just became an RN so there is no parade to rain on. I just mentioned looking into a job with UPS because I like the company. I don't know why these nurses you have worked with have sold themselves out. I am an advocate for my patients and I would never force someone back to work injured (but I think the doctor determines that). Also I won't work for "creepy" doctors. I know what I have to do to protect myself and my license.

What I was thanking in my original post is that UPS paid for school and I reached one of my goals because of this company. I obviously can’t speak for the whole company across the globe; but in my small part of the world this company or the people in it have been wonderful.
As I posted before, my sisiter is an RN. She went to work for DOW chemical as an occupational nurse at a refinery on the gulf coast. She worked her way up thru the company, without giving up her integrity. She retired last year from DOW as senior management.
Please, do not let naysayers influence where you go from here.

aspenleaf

As I posted before, my sisiter is an RN. She went to work for DOW chemical as an occupational nurse at a refinery on the gulf coast. She worked her way up thru the company, without giving up her integrity. She retired last year from DOW as senior management.
Please, do not let naysayers influence where you go from here.

Thank you! I would have applied to UPS but I don't have the right degree. I will consider it in the future. I do plan to earn my BSN. I know that most nurses do not become evil drones of the company. I had the chance to work with one last year when I was a flu nurse. I asked her a lot of questions because occupational health is something I am interested in. I would never make career decissions off of an online forum. I don't doubt that people have had bad experiences with UPS doctors but I can't believe they are all bad. When I was a student nurse I worked with great nurses and ones that made me wonder why they ever became a nurse. Some of them hated it and complained about the hosptial all day. I followed the ones that would teach me and actually liked what they did. I have some research to do and more learning but I am keeping my options open.

Sammie

Didn't mean to offend you, Aspen. Perhaps personal experiences have left some of us a little too jaded and critical. :sad:

aspenleaf

Didn't mean to offend you, Aspen. Perhaps personal experiences have left some of us a little too jaded and critical. :sad:

Oh no you did not offend me. I am actually hard to offend. Everyone has their own experiences and it is good to hear both the good and bad. I do appreciate hearing the words of wisdom from people who have learned the hard way. As I said I won’t do anything to lose my license. I have been told I have a great attitude and if you have ever studied psychology you know about locus of control; I definitely have an internal one!

I hope your week is going well.:thumbup1:

trickpony1

aspenleaf-
Since when does it take a BSN to be a occupational nurse at the company? The nurse I made reference to earlier is only an Associates degree. Perhaps no BSN wanted to work here for whatever money was offered and risk losing their license.
You don't owe the company anything. You did your time in the trenches. The company pays for alot of peoples education and they leave as soon as they get their degree.
Please direct your passion, skills and education towards patients that will appreciate and benefit from it not some big company that will use you to screw the employees.
Don't cast your pearls before swine!

aspenleaf

aspenleaf-
Since when does it take a BSN to be a occupational nurse at the company? The nurse I made reference to earlier is only an Associates degree. Perhaps no BSN wanted to work here for whatever money was offered and risk losing their license.
You don't owe the company anything. You did your time in the trenches. The company pays for alot of peoples education and they leave as soon as they get their degree.
Please direct your passion, skills and education towards patients that will appreciate and benefit from it not some big company that will use you to screw the employees.
Don't cast your pearls before swine!

This is what is says about the job:
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:
· Must be a self motivated RN with a BSN

I don't feel that I owe the company anything; I actually like working for UPS. I think a BSN educated nurse would be better suited for the occupational health position because they take different classes; they are better prepared to work in schools, occupational health and few other jobs. Although we take the same licensing exam the BSN educated nurse is the better choice for a management type position (in theory). As I have said I will examine my options. I do want a career in occupational health at some point and I don’t see any reason why I should not consider the company that helped me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Congratulations are all thats in order. You worked hard, and you achieved. :)
Enjoy the limelight, you deserve it. Wherever you go you will succeed. And who ever employs you will benefit.

diadlover

Congrats, Aspen!! This couldn't have happened to a better gal. You're one of the most down to earth people I've ever known and that combined with your positive attitude and killer sense of humor will take you far. Great job!

p.s.
102.gif

aspenleaf

Thanks tooner & diadlover!

I did find a job that will let me still work the preload. So I am very happy about that! I don't plan to work at UPS forever loading trucks but I plan to stay through this peak and I will see what happens next Jan.