"The American dream" not quite so for Latinos

moreluck

golden ticket member
We don't need new immigration laws.....just need to enforce the ones we have. Sheriff Joe tried to do it right in Maricopa County.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
moreluck have you seen this farce;
Federal government to day laborers: We’re here to help

By Matt O’Brien
Contra Costa Times CONCORD —
A crew of federal officials wandering into a day labor hiring zone used to mean one thing: time to leave.
Not the case Thursday morning on Monument Boulevard. Armed with coffee, not handcuffs, investigators from the U.S. Department of Labor chatted warmly with Latino immigrant workers about how to find jobs without being exploited.
“We’re the feds, but the good ones,” said Paul Ramirez, speaking in Spanish inside the Michael Chavez Center, a gathering spot for day laborers. “We’re here to help workers.”
The unprecedented visit was part of a campaign to bring long-established workplace protections to the nation’s most vulnerable and underpaid workers, including those who have no legal right to be living in the United States.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't understand how people who are here ILLEGALLY have any rights (except human rights). When I drive to Capo Beach to certain stores, the workers are all standing on street corners and no one from the gov't is working the crowd. They would definitely run if they saw a car with a green stripe down it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We don't need new immigration laws.....just need to enforce the ones we have. Sheriff Joe tried to do it right in Maricopa County.

http://www.sheriffjoe.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=49

Have you heard about his newest initiative? He claims to be supporting Michelle Obama's lose weight program with what is being called Pedal Vision. Sheriff Joe has set up the common area TV so that it can only be powered by electricity generated by a stationary bicycle. He has drawn up a contract, which the inmates who wish to participate in the program must sign and, yes, they have to ride the bike for however long the contract says in order to be able to watch TV.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I heard they get channels like the Food Network for free, but if they want the local news, they have to peddle for it.