The Big 3

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
As GM goes, so goes the GOP

[SIZE=-1]By Pat Buchanan
[/SIZE]
Understandably, Republicans are seething.
When Hank Paulson demanded $700 billion to haul away the trash in the dumpsters of JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs – assuring us we could hold a garage sale of the junk – they rebelled. They acted as the nation, by 100 to one, demanded. They killed the Wall Street bailout.
The Dow quickly sank another 1,000 points, and, charged with criminal irresponsibility by the elites, the GOP buckled, reversed itself, rescued the bailout – and was wiped out on Nov. 4.
Now we hear from Paulson that the $700 billion Congress voted will not, after all, be used to buy up all that rotten paper on the books of the big banks. Some banks are using the cash to buy other banks.
So Republicans are right to be enraged. They are victims of the biggest bait-and-switch in political history. But they are now about to do something terminally stupid. With GM, Ford and Chrysler teetering on the brink, they are turning a cold stone face to Detroit and are about to follow the counsel of that quintessential Bush-ite Dick Darman, who said of our computer chip industry, "If our guys can't hack it, let 'em go."
America responded – by letting George H.W. Bush and Darman go.
Are Republicans aware of what they are about to do?

When workers, execs, engineers, dealers, salesmen and suppliers are all factored in, the Big Three employ 3 million people who contribute $21 billion a year to Social Security and Medicare, and $25 billion in federal income taxes. Add in all the businesses that depend on the auto industry, and we are talking about one-tenth of the U.S. labor force.
As columnist Tom Piatak of Chronicles and Takimag.com writes, 850,000 retirees, and their families, depend for pensions and health care on the Big Three. If they go under, the burden falls on us.
And to let the auto industry die is to write America out of much of the economic future of the planet.
In a good year, like 2005, Americans buy more than 17 million new cars, and Western Europeans as many. Tens of millions in Eastern Europe, Russia, China, India and Southeast Asia are now moving into the middle class each year. These folks will all need or want one or two family cars. If we let the U.S. auto industry die, that immense and burgeoning market will be lost forever to America, and ceded to Asia.
"Who cares?" comes the free-traders' reply. Japanese and Koreans are setting up factories here. They can pick up the slack.
But that means Americans will work for and depend on foreign companies for a necessity of our national life as vital as the imported oil and gas on which our cars and trucks operate. All the profits of the mighty automobile industry in America will be sent abroad.

Before Republicans follow this free-trade fanaticism to their final interment, they might study the results of a poll by Peter Hart:
  • – Seventy-eight percent of Americans believe the U.S. auto industry is highly or extremely important. Three percent think we can do without it.
  • Ninety percent of Americans believe the death of the U.S. auto industry would do great damage to our economic future.
  • By 55 percent to 30 percent, Americans favor federal loans to save it. And by 64 percent to 25 percent, Americans back President-elect Obama's resolve not to let the U.S. auto industry go under.
If the GOP blocks these loans, and the industry dies, the party can forget about Ohio, Michigan and the industrial Midwest, for the Reagan Democrats will never come home again. Nor should they.
By the choices we make, we define ourselves and reveal what we truly care about. Thus, consider:
We bail out the New York and D.C. governments of Abe Beame and Marion Barry. We bail out a corrupt Mexico. We bail out public schools that have failed us for 40 years.
We bail out with International Monetary Fund and World Bank loans and foreign aid worthless Third World regimes.
We bail out Wall Street plutocrats and big banks.
But the most magnificent industry, the auto industry that was the pride of America and envy of the world, we surrender to predator-traders from Asia and Europe, lest we violate the tenets of some 19th-century ideological scribblers that the old Republicans considered the apogee of British stupidity.
Nancy Pelosi is talking about tying loans to a restructuring of the industry. But Congress is not competent to do that.
What needs to be restructured is the U.S. tax-and-trade regime.
Dump globalism. Instruct Japan, Canada, Korea, Germany and China that if they wish to sell cars here, they will assemble them here and produce the parts here. And we shall have the same free access to and same share of their auto market as they have of ours.
To accomplish this, use the same import quotas and tariffs Ronald Reagan used to save the steel industry and Harley-Davidson.
Reciprocal trade. Even Democrats like FDR used to practice it.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Who killed the auto industry?

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By Pat Buchanan[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Who killed the U.S. auto industry?
To hear the media tell it, arrogant corporate chiefs failed to foresee the demand for small, fuel-efficient cars and made gas-guzzling road-hog SUVs no one wanted, while the clever, far-sighted Japanese, Germans and Koreans prepared and built for the future.
I dissent. What killed Detroit was Washington, the government of the United States, politicians, journalists and muckrakers who have long harbored a deep animus against the manufacturing class that ran the smokestack industries that won World War II.
As far back as the 1950s, an intellectual elite that produces mostly methane had its knives out for the auto industry of which Ike's treasury secretary, ex-GM chief Charles Wilson, had boasted, "What's good for America is good for General Motors, and vice versa."
"Engine Charlie" was relentlessly mocked, even in Al Capp's L'il Abner cartoon strip, where a bloviating "General Bullmoose" had as his motto, "What's good for Bullmoose is good for America!"
How did Big Government do in the U.S. auto industry?

Washington imposed a minimum wage higher than the average wage in war-devastated Germany and Japan. The feds ordered that U.S. plants be made the healthiest and safest worksites in the world, creating OSHA to see to it. It enacted civil rights laws to ensure the labor force reflected our diversity. Environmental laws came next, to ensure U.S. factories became the most pollution-free on earth.
It then clamped fuel efficiency standards on the entire U.S. car fleet.
Next, Washington imposed a corporate tax rate of 35 percent, raking off another 15 percent of autoworkers' wages in Social Security payroll taxes
State governments imposed income and sales taxes, and local governments property taxes to subsidize services and schools.
The United Auto Workers struck repeatedly to win the highest wages and most generous benefits on earth – vacations, holidays, work breaks, health care, pensions – for workers and their families, and retirees.
Now, there is nothing wrong with making U.S. plants the cleanest and safest on earth or having U.S. autoworkers the highest-paid wage earners.
That is the dream, what we all wanted for America.
And under the 14th Amendment, GM, Ford and Chrysler had to obey the same U.S. laws and pay at the same tax rates. Outside the United States, however, there was and is no equality of standards or taxes.
Thus when America was thrust into the global economy, GM and Ford had to compete with cars made overseas in factories in post-war Japan and Germany, then Korea, where health and safety standards were much lower, wages were a fraction of those paid U.S. workers, and taxes were and are often forgiven on exports to the United States.
All three nations built "export-driven" economies.
The Beetle and early Japanese imports were made in factories where wages were far beneath U.S. wages and working conditions would have gotten U.S. auto executives sent to prison.
The competition was manifestly unfair, like forcing Secretariat to carry 100 pounds in his saddlebags in the Derby.
Japan, China and South Korea do not believe in free trade as we understand it. To us, they are our "trading partners." To them, the relationship is not like that of Evans & Novak or Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. It is not even like the Redskins and Cowboys. For the Cowboys only want to defeat the Redskins. They do not want to put their franchise out of business and end the competition – as the Japanese did to our TV industry by dumping Sonys here until they killed it.
While we think the global economy is about what is best for the consumer, they think about what is best for the nation.
Like Alexander Hamilton, they understand that manufacturing is the key to national power. And they manipulate currencies, grant tax rebates to their exporters and thieve our technology to win. Last year, as trade expert Bill Hawkins writes, South Korea exported 700,000 cars to us, while importing 5,000 cars from us.
That's Asia's idea of free trade.
How has this global economy profited or prospered America?
In the 1950s, we made all our own toys, clothes, shoes, bikes, furniture, motorcycles, cars, cameras, telephones, TVs, etc. You name it. We made it.
Are we better off now that these things are made by foreigners? Are we better off now that we have ceased to be self-sufficient? Are we better off now that the real wages of our workers and median income of our families no longer grow as they once did? Are we better off now that manufacturing, for the first time in U.S. history, employs fewer workers than government?
We no longer build commercial ships. We have but one airplane company, and it outsources. China produces our computers. And if GM goes Chapter 11, America will soon be out of the auto business.
Our politicians and pundits may not understand what is going on. Historians will have no problem explaining the decline and fall of the Americans.

55andout?

Its not a for gone conclusion that if 1 or all of the big 3 go into bankrupcy that it will be the end of the US auto industry. Many companies have emerged from bankrucpcy and come out of it stronger and more competitive.

I no longer have an opinion on this matter. I see both sides and my money will always go to one of the big 3 American cars made in America by Americans. I try and always look at the label of everything I buy to make sure its made in the USA by USAins (Trade mark of 55andout?).

I do believe though that the best way for the Big 3 to save themselves is to change the way they do business. From the top down all must engage in a shared sacrifice. We can also help them by buying what they make. I would put my Chevy up against anything out there. I see way too many forgien cars in UPS parking lots. This leads me to believe we are not a true union company...we are just in it for ourselves.

wyobill

Me neither. I kind of wonder if the CEO's of the big three drive foreign cars :happy-very: Hey, Ya never know
I wonder if the drive at all. That would be there safety issue. The public
would be at risk because of there lack of driving skills.

They are suppose to go back to Congress with a plan in Dec. How can they arrive with any such plan in just a few weeks? Maybe there local
middle school kids can recieve extra credit by drawing up a plan for the Big 3.
Take the 3 bestplans and present them to Congress. They will be sure to recieve the 25 billion :happy2:

55andout?

LOL, Some people on here don't think my comments are cool at all. I do like your username though. I'm not sure right now if I can retire from Brown at 55 or not.
Its 55andout? with a ? the question mark represents many things. 1) I like my job and may stay past the age of 55 when I can retire. 2) At age 55 I will have my youngest in college and may need to keep working and C) If I retire at age 55 my wife said I wont make it till age 56 if I stay home:knockedout:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Even if the Big 3 cannot come up with a "plan", the Democrats have already said that they'll bail them out(Pelosi). If you take the "multiplier effect" into consideration (1 out of every 13 US jobs), they are truly "too big to fail". That said, both labor and management are going to have to make major sacrifices if any of the 3 are going to survive long-term. An SMU professor, who has accurately predicted everything that has happened already in the financial markets, has advocated that the government purchase 60% of GM stock and give it to the employees,making GM essentially employee-owned. They would sink or swim based on their own ability to extricate themselves from their problem. May not be a bad idea...

A good start would be to make cars where the paint doesn't peel-off after about 5 years. One lousy American car, and the equally crappy response from the company who wouldn't fix it has been enough to keep me driving Japanese cars for 25 years.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I say, let them fail, let them go out of business. Let the Japanese have all the market share. THis way, we can finally rid ourselves of NASCAR, TRUCK RACING, OPEN WHEEL RACING and any OTHER form of motorized racing sponsored by the big 3.

Before ANY employee goes, I would like to see the Goverment KILL all sponsorships of motorized racing by the Big 3.

Time to get that good ole boy roundy round off the tube anyway.

So let the big three fail!:dead:

tieguy

Banned
Even if the Big 3 cannot come up with a "plan", the Democrats have already said that they'll bail them out(Pelosi). If you take the "multiplier effect" into consideration (1 out of every 13 US jobs), they are truly "too big to fail". That said, both labor and management are going to have to make major sacrifices if any of the 3 are going to survive long-term. An SMU professor, who has accurately predicted everything that has happened already in the financial markets, has advocated that the government purchase 60% of GM stock and give it to the employees,making GM essentially employee-owned. They would sink or swim based on their own ability to extricate themselves from their problem. May not be a bad idea...

A good start would be to make cars where the paint doesn't peel-off after about 5 years. One lousy American car, and the equally crappy response from the company who wouldn't fix it has been enough to keep me driving Japanese cars for 25 years.

get ready lots of bailouts coming. the democrats will be throwing money around like you have never seen.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I say, let them fail, let them go out of business. Let the Japanese have all the market share. THis way, we can finally rid ourselves of NASCAR, TRUCK RACING, OPEN WHEEL RACING and any OTHER form of motorized racing sponsored by the big 3.

Before ANY employee goes, I would like to see the Goverment KILL all sponsorships of motorized racing by the Big 3.

Time to get that good ole boy roundy round off the tube anyway.

So let the big three fail!:dead:
OK, thats it. Politics is one thing, but we do not need to RID OURSELVES of MOTORSPORTS. That is just wrong.:angry:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK, thats it. Politics is one thing, but we do not need to RID OURSELVES of MOTORSPORTS. That is just wrong.:angry:

Tooner, it is not called motorsports. It is called "good ole boy roundy round".

GM has taken the first step to show they are seriously trying to cut costs by ending its sponsorship of Tiger Woods.