"The Help"

vantexan

Saw the above movie this afternoon. About the relationships and interactions between black maids and white employers during the Jim Crow era in Jackson, MS. Fantastic movie that'll have you laughing and crying. While I in no way am comparing what I experience now with the dehumanization they often experienced then, I couldn't help but think how for one group to do well it often involves exploiting another group. And in that exploitation the dominating group will convince themselves it's ok because the dominated group doesn't really deserve anymore than what the dominators decide is good enough for them. As the maids went back to their side of town daily they had to ride a bus, then walk to their ramshackle little houses. They couldn't afford a car, couldn't afford much of anything. It's a future that a very large percentage of our population is facing. People can say all they want that no one is forcing you but in order for huge companies to be successful most of their employees have to accept low pay and few benefits. We are building a new aristocracy in this country, and are on the road to serfdom for the majority of us. With a class of overseers in between.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Saw it all....first hand experience. Born & raised in North Carolina in the early 60s'. My Mom (rest in peace) was one of those maids. My brothers and I cut their lawns, raked their leaves, shoveled their snow, fixed broken water pipes, covered roofs..etc. Took a lot of abuse growing up.

vantexan

Saw it all....first hand experience. Born & raised in North Carolina in the early 60s'. My Mom (rest in peace) was one of those maids. My brothers and I cut their lawns, raked their leaves, shoveled their snow, fixed broken water pipes, covered roofs..etc. Took a lot of abuse growing up.
After my parents' divorce my mom worked two full-time jobs and sometimes 3 jobs for 30 years at local restaurants. Took her to dinner and afterward she wanted to stop at work and get her paycheck. I waited in car for 30 minutes and went inside to see what the hold up was. She was sitting on a couch waiting. Boss had told her she'd have to wait as he was busy. I watched him for about 5 minutes chatting with other employees before calling out to him and asking could she get her check. Gave me a dirty look, walked about 10 feet to his desk, picked the check up and gave it to another employee to give to my mother. Told my mother later to not have me in there any more. Considering how angry it made me I can only imagine what you felt back then, or even now.

HomeDelivery

lol, yea this should have went to general chat... i thought since you put it in FedEx discussions, you were trying to relate that movie to this job :P doh!