The RIP Thread

rod

Retired 22 years
1703993449419.png

2023 was a tough year on celebrities.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Yup, but people will see them for centuries on TV. The rest of us will be forgotten in 5 years....
Most Famous people won’t even be know very long. How many famous people from the 1920s and 1930s does anyone know? Ask anyone 30 or younger about any famous person from the 1940s or before and I would be surprised if 1% could name any one.
My wife and I have had this conversation and after 3 generations, and for sure after 4, you are probably totally forgotten by your family. It is sad.

rod

Retired 22 years
I took care of a small cemetery (mowed & clean up) after I retired for 14 years. I can tell you that without a doubt ---after 2 years your spouse and kids will slow down on the flowers and nick knacks they put out on Memorial Day and during the year. After 2 years you will be lucky if just your spouse visits you. After your spouse is gone your kids "may" hit the gravesite on Memorial Day for a few years-- but don't count on it. As far as your grand kids go you are forgotten the day they plant you. I've seen this scenario happen dozens of times during my time at the cemetery. Don't let your families waste a lot of money on a fancy funeral---Everyone is soon forgotten.

oldngray

nowhere special
I took care of a small cemetery (mowed & clean up) after I retired for 14 years. I can tell you that without a doubt ---after 2 years your spouse and kids will slow down on the flowers and nick knacks they put out on Memorial Day and during the year. After 2 years you will be lucky if just your spouse visits you. After your spouse is gone your kids "may" hit the gravesite on Memorial Day for a few years-- but don't count on it. As far as your grand kids go you are forgotten the day they plant you. I've seen this scenario happen dozens of times during my time at the cemetery. Don't let your families waste a lot of money on a fancy funeral---Everyone is soon forgotten.
I don't want no fancy funeral.

Just one like old King Tut.

over9five

Staff member
Agreed, tell people the exact thing. Graveyards are a waste of space. After your kids stop visiting, you lie there for eternity with no one visiting or remembering you.