The Straight Truth About the Bush Economy

Tyrone Slothrop

Thanks Moreluck,

Maybe he'll believe you. They don't even taste the same, either.

I'm out till Monday or Tuesday. Tie, really...sober up, educate yourself, seek therapy, whatever. I'll waste no more time with you... NASA has the weather figures and the DOL has wage figures, anyone can look them up for themselves.

tieguy

Banned
moreluck said:
More Than I Ever Wanted To Know About Yams & Sweet Potatoes.......:sad:

Most people think that yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing....Thats incorrect.

It is possible to make an enormous fuss over the difference between sweet potatoes and yams. Botanically speaking, the two vegetables share nothing except for some flowery associations. The yam, a tuber, is a member of the lily family, while the sweet potato is a member of the morning glory family. Yams are usually sweeter, moister, plumper, denser, and a deeper orange color than sweet potatoes -- though not always. The two plants also come from different parts of the world. The yam probably originated in Africa (although it may be the same plant that had been cultivated in Asia since 8000 B.C.); the sweet potato is a New World plant discovered by Columbus (although it may have mysteriously traveled to Polynesia hundreds of years prior to Columbus's first voyage). Slaves in the American South called the sweet potato nyamis because of its similarity to a vegetable of that name that they knew from their homeland. This African word brought the two vegetables together, probably for all eternity, despite botany, archaeology, plant pathology, and the like. And that's probably just as well.

Very nice. And you're right we call em all yams.

tieguy

Banned
Susan thats it? Thats all you have? I originally made my point that the jury was out on global warming. There are many scientist that claim its happening. Many that claim its not. You did not rebut my point that the jury is out on global warming and then try to pretend you did? Geez you're getting nuttier by the minute.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
The Global Warming Folly
by Zbigniew Jaworowski, M.D., Ph.O., and D.Sc., who is a professor at the Central Laboratory for Radiologi-cal Protection in Warsaw. A multidisciplinary scientist, he has studied glacier ice samples from around the world, analyzing traces of heavy metals and radionuclides. He is well known as an expert on radiation effects, and has served as the chairman of the UNSCEAR (United Nations Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation). Among his previous articles in 21st Century Science & Technology is "Ice Core Data Show No Carbon Dioxide Increase, " Spring 1997, p. 42.
Despite billions of dollars and millions of propaganda headlines, the global warming prophesied by the climate modelling industry is not scientifically real
The amount spent on climate studies worldwide has now reached the astonishingly high level of about $5 billion per year.1 In the United States alone, more than $2 billion is spent annually for climate studies, not including the costs of satellites, ships, and laboratory construction. 2 Climatologists have obtained this immense amount of funding by creating the vision of a man-made planetary climate catastrophe.
In the 1970s and the 1980s, computer models of climate prophesied a doubling of the carbon dioxide (CO2) content in the atmosphere during the next 6O years. The greenhouse effect of this CO2 increase, together with that of other greenhouse gases released by human beings into the atmosphere CH4, N2O, CFC-11 (freon), and CFC-12 was supposed to increase the average global surface air temperature by 5C. In polar regions, the increase was projected to be 10C. Later, in the 1990s, climatologists truncated the computer model estimates of the man-made increase of global temperature by the year 2100, first to 3,3C3,5 and then to 2C.7
Climate warming caused by man-made greenhouse gases, is usually presented as a gloomy catastrophe that will induce the mass extinction of animals and plants, epidemics of contagious and parasitic diseases, droughts and floods, and even invasions of mutated insects resistent to insecticides. Melting glaciers are predicted to raise sea level by 3.67 meters, flooding islands, densely inhabited coastal areas, and great metropolises. 6, 8 There will be mass migrations and a host of other social and environmental effects always detrimental, never beneficial.

According to one American climatologist, the "scare-them-to-death" approach seems to be the best way to get money for climate studies. Dr. Stephen Schneider, a leading prophet of man-made climate warming, stated this bluntly:
"To capture the public imagination... we have to... make simplified dramatic statements, and little mention of any doubts one might have.... Each of us has to decide the right balance between being effective and being honest". 9
The IPCC reports, which have become bibles for bureaucrats and environmentalist fanatics, ac-cuse modern civilization of being responsible for global warming, and repeatedly state that they reflect a true "consensus" of the scientific community. This statement about consensus is totally false: The assessments, conclusions, and even the working method of the IPCC are criticized by numerous scientists today. A more accurate description of the current situation would not be consensus, but rathercontroversy. Science does not progress via a process of consensus, or voting. There was no "consensus" for Copernicus's idea, in his time, that the Earth orbited the Sun. Consensus is not needed in science; it is for politicians.

tieguy

Banned
Hot Topics, Cold Truth
Dr. S. Fred Singer interviewed by John friend. McManus
A leading atmospheric physicist brings some cool-headed reasoning to the hot topics of global warming, the ozone hole, and other environmental issues.
Dr. S. Fred Singer is an atmospheric physicist who leads the Washington-based Science and Environmental Policy Project. He is also a distinguished research professor at George Mason University in Virginia and the Institute for Space Science and Technology in Florida. He was the first director of the U.S. Weather Satellite Service, now a branch of the Department of Commerce. He is the author of numerous books, the latest of which is Hot Talk, Cold Science: Global Warmings Unfinished Debate.
Q. Do you have a position regarding global warming?
A. I certainly do. The climate warms and cools naturally all the time. It changes from day to day, month to month, season to season, year to year, and so on. At times, there is global warming; at other times there is global cooling. Some climate changes are predictable and some are not. We can predict that the winters are colder than the summers because we understand the mechanism. We cannot predict the climate from year to year, however, because we do not know why it fluctuates. When the climate warms, there could be a number of reasons for it doing so, including the sun. Another possibility is that human activities are adding greenhouse gases to the atmosphere, and this could produce some warming.
The important question then is: How important is the effect of human activities? And that we cannot tell. We know the theory, which says that human activity could be important, but the theory cannot be trusted until it has been verified. Until now, this theory, which is based largely on a mathematical model, has not been validated against observations. If the theory becomes validated against observations, then we can be more confident about using it to predict the future. But were not there yet, and nobody should be basing conclusions and remedies on an unverified theory.
Q. What do the scientific data really show about global warming?
A. Data from earth satellites in use since 1979 do not show any warming. But, eventually, they probably will because carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases are increasing in the atmosphere. My personal guess, and I stress that this is only my guess, is that there is a greenhouse effect and that it is very small in comparison to natural fluctuations of the climate. We dont see this effect yet, but we may notice it in the next century. Even if we do notice it, it will be extremely small and actually inconsequential. It will be an interesting scientific curiosity but it wont be of any practical importance.
Q. We repeatedly hear mention of the "greenhouse effect" in which heat is supposedly trapped in the atmosphere because of the presence of carbon dioxide and other gases. Is there such an effect?
A. Yes, there is a greenhouse effect. But the problem here is that high government officials have declared that climate science is "settled" and "compelling." The clear implication is that enough is known about it to act, and that any further research findings would be "policy-irrelevant" and not important to international deliberations that have led to a climate treaty. My published conclusions state otherwise, that any warming from the growth of greenhouse gases is likely to be minor, difficult to detect above the natural fluctuations of the climate, and therefore inconsequential. In addition, the impacts of warming and the higher carbon dioxide levels are likely to be beneficial for human activities, especially for agriculture that thrives on carbon dioxide.
But, again, the greenhouse effect is real. The emissions of carbon dioxide that we are putting into the atmosphere will make it more pronounced. But that doesnt mean that the climate is going to warm perceptibly. The atmosphere is very complicated, and there are negative feedbacks that cancel some of the warming. The easiest way to understand what I mean by "negative feedback" is to consider clouds. If you warm the ocean, you get more water vapor, more evaporation, and more clouds that will keep sunlight from entering the earths surfaces. This results in a cooling effect a negative feedback.
Q. Reports about global warming repeatedly cite the 1990 report produced by the UNs Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Is this a reliable document?
A. The IPCC modified its own report after it had been approved, taking out key phrases to make it appear certain that human activities were affecting the climate. A few key individuals even removed much of the phraseology that discussed the uncertainties of such an opinion. Numerous scientists have pointed out that this document is unreliable.
Q. There have been several articles about an increase in the number and size of icebergs that have broken off from Antarctica. Is the increase in icebergs due to global warming?
A. The climate did warm over the last 100 years and thats why icebergs are breaking off. Theres no question about that. But the warming took place between 1880 and 1940 so that it is a bit warmer now than it was 100 years ago.
Q. Does it take that long for an iceberg to break off?
A. Yes, it takes a long time for portions of the ice to break off. The melting has been going on for thousands of years and the West Antarctic ice sheet is still melting. The ice sheet may even disappear in 7,000 years. But the real point is that theres nothing we can do about it. The reason its melting is because its warmer now than when the ice formed a long time ago.
Q. You mentioned the "climate treaty" and I assume you mean the 1997 Kyoto Protocol that called for industrial nations to cut emissions of "greenhouse gases" in order to deal with global warming. What is your response to this proposal?
A. The Kyoto proposal, even if fully implemented, wont accomplish anything as far as climate is concerned. It certainly wont stop the Antarctic ice sheet from melting. The only thing that will stop that is another ice age.
Q.Wont it accomplish a great deal as far as industry is concerned?
A. Oh, yes. But the announced purpose of the proposal is to prevent global warming and stabilize the climate. It wont do anything of the sort. If you obey it punctiliously, and all the countries that are supposed to cut back their industrial activity do exactly as called for, even the UN group has calculated that it will reduce the temperature during the next century by 0.05 degrees. No one can even measure that! It is admittedly completely ineffective, so now theyre saying that its an important first step.
Q. Would it be harmful if the climate does become warmer?
A. If it does warm, there will be numerous benefits. Agriculture will be aided because crops will grow faster and sturdier. There will be slightly warmer winters with no effect on summers. Sea level will be hardly affected or perhaps it will rise slightly. This is because of the melting of the ice from the Ice Age and theres nothing we can do about it. Kyotos proposals certainly wont help.
Q. Other than your own Science and Environmental Policy group, are you part of any scientific groups?
A. Yes, I signed the Oregon petition, which has been signed by 20,000 persons, 18,000 of whom have scientific degrees, many with advanced degrees. This project, begun in response to Kyoto, was launched by Dr. Arthur B. Robinson. He received important help from Dr. Fred Seitz, who sent a letter to scientists across the nation containing eight pages about global warming. In his letter, he stated that the Kyoto agreement was "based on flawed ideas" and that "data on climate change do not show that human use of hydrocarbons is harmful."

The Oregon petition was never altered and has 20,000 signatories. The doctored IPCC statement has only 2,000 signatories. But the media seem to focus only on the IPPC statement.

Q. What about the ozone layer and the claims that it is being depleted because of human activity?
A. The ozone layer depletion stopped about 1992. No more depletion has occurred. The total depletion that took place according to a thick United Nations report is about four percent. Thats negligible. Ozone varies from day to day by about 100 percent, and from season to season if you average it by about 40-50 percent. The World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environment Program together produced figures stating that there has been no ozone depletion since 1992.

tieguy

Banned
in fact TS or Susan or whomever you are. There is so much information out there against Global warming that I can't believe anyone would be as pigheaded in fighting for this issue as you have been.

Did you see that at least 20,000 US scientist signed a petition against the Kyoto agreement?

wkmac

Tie,
Be careful in reposting complete articles like the one from the New American, Hot Topics, Cold Truth because it is copyrighted and at the bottom of the article is the copyright warning.

I got no problem with the article I just don't want any of us to make an honest mistake and get Cheryl into a twist and I know you feel the same way. It would be nice if like you did to quote the entire piece but that's life in the big city. Here's a link to the entire article and just to make sure all is credited, the article was published in The New American magazine produced by American Opinion Publishing which is the publishing arm of the John Birch Society.

Here's the John Birch Society's policy.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060207134014/http://www.jbs.org/artman/publish/article_394.shtml

IMO, you are correct in that there is no real clear consensus on so-called global warming. Now on a personal level I happen to believe the smart thing to do is to error on the side of doing what I can in my personal life to limit my own use/creation, etc. of greenhouse gases (I eat less beans and rice:thumbup1: ) and if in some way I can go to zero emmissions, hey let's do it but not under the force of gov't. I know for us in my neck of the woods winter was suppose to be a bad one but it's been awesome except for the spring type storms with severe T-Storms and a couple of tornadoes. We will pay this summer as the bugs will drive us buggie! At the same time, my understanding is that northern Europe and Russia have gotten their butts kicked with some really extreme cold weather so that in itself challenges the term of Global Warming but under this name the idea will include events like warming in one region while another gets very cold and the next year it could reverse.

This science is a somewhat new science and their are some concerning indicators we should be keeping an eye on and considering alternatives but the use the force of gov't to mandate and then later like so many other things to learn we were wrong? I know being wrong goes both ways and you could ask which side to you error on but for me the gov't has such a history of being a big :censored2: up, I'm not willing to risk it at this point.

JMO.

tieguy

Banned
Wkmac,

I agree in that the concept of global warming is believeable. Interestingly enough there are scientist who believe the increase in greenhouse gases primarily CO2 would be a good thing for plant life which in turn puts off oxygen.

At the same time if our industrial machine and personal vehicles pumping out greenhouse gases were the cause then you would think the effects would have caused a peak of global warming approximately 30 years ago and a lessening of such since. Strict environmental controls have made a difference in air quality that has not lessened the global warming alarms.
why then has the improvements in air quality not translated into a lessening of global warming alarmism?

There clearly is some manipulation of this issue that muddies the waters.

wkmac

Tie,
This is JMO but here goes. You are correct in that if you look at the last several years there has been a marked improvement in the area of greenhouse gas output as it relates to the US. Is it enough? That's what the debate centers around. I also think it very dishonest for those who would sit there and trash Bush over Kyoto when Clinton and Gore had their problems with it as well. Clinton did sign on as a signator before the closing in 98' but that was non-binding. In his last 2 years in office he never attempted to bring it before the Senate for a vote. Kyoto came about in the 1990's several years before Bush so the problem was already there several years before the guy even announced his intentions to seek the White House. To now turn around and lay all the blame for global warming at Bush's feet if bullschitt. TOTAL, COMPLETE BULLSCHITT! Hey I consider Bush a total traitor to true conservative small gov't principles that he claimed to be about and never voted for the guy in the first place but they are dead wrong in laying all this blame on his watch. Blame him for failure to take action if you see it that way and that is completely fair but to try and spin the story to seem as though global warming only came into play after Bush was elected is nothing but crap IMO.

Global warming the way I see this is just like the bug I had a couple of weeks ago. It started out not to bad but about a week later it got to the point a doctor visit was needed and an antibiotic. Now that first night after the doctor visit and the medication introduced the symptoms seemed to get worse and I actually felt worse but the next day when it began to approach the 24 hour mark since I started taking the antibiotic, I began to feel a ton better and within about 30 hours almost felt like I was not sick at all. Now I still had to complete the medication regime but the point was results take time, they are not immediate. Are the recent positive turn in results all Bush? IMO, no. I believe it fair to say that positive turn likely began before hand, either during the Clinton years or who knows, it could have even begun during Bush 1 years. GW doesn't get the blame but he doesn't take all the creidt either IMO.

Air quality in some sense may be in the same way as a human sickness and medication and it may take some years to see any dramatic results. This may have begun to happen in the last number of years and could begin to accelerate but there is a problem on the horizon. China and India and their developing populations and economies which interesting enough both countries are excluded from the greenhouse gas production limits of Kyoto. The way I've read Kyoto http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/convkp/kpeng.html it appears to me that what has been attempted is that if the powers that be can hold all the signatory nations to 1990's output limits this will in effect give some opening for what is believed will be China and India's output and thus the actual total levels globally would be the same as if China and India never developed at all and had the rest of us maintain our earlier course. In other words, everyone gave up some table space and that 2nd helping so China and India could come to supper and everyone still fit on the kitchen table and everyone get a bite to eat without momma having to fire up the stove again. Simplistic but IMO fits the picture.

wkmac

And on the warming helping plants etc. Yeah I understand that idea but as the same time another school of thought that is growing is that global warming melts the polar ice which will alter the oceanic tidal circulation that could over time actually lead to a large scale ice age like the one last seen 10k years ago that covered much of North America and Northern Europe.

I think nature does this on it's own without us from time to time but limiting our impact of these cycles is also important as well or at least that's JMO.

Tyrone Slothrop

Tie,

Really now. Youve produced dubious writings by Lomborg, Jaworowski, and Singer, published by the likes of The John Birch Society, and you find them to hold more weight than NASA findings? You are probably aware that all three men youve sourced have been totally debunked by experts. You are probably aware that Singer has taken money from Exxon and tobacco companies to write the tripe he does, and Jaworowski has no expertise in this field and the paper you referenced has been debunked paragraph by paragraph, point by point?

Come on, why dont you link to the National Enquirer, it has more credibility than the crap youve copied and pasted. Next youll be arguing that intelligent design is true and the dinosaur fossils were put here by Satan to test our faith.

You have succeeded in becoming a parody of yourself, congratulations!

wkmac,
You probably already know this, but global warming may actually cause an Ice Age, as strange as that sounds. If the Gulf Stream weakens, Northern Europe will actually be colder, Great Britain especially.

PS--tie, you may buy yams in the store, but where I shop I have a choice of a couple of types of yams and REAL sweet potatoes. I prefer sweet potatoes.

tieguy

Banned
Gee tyrone it appears you returned prematurely from whatever hiatus you alleged you would be gone on.

Its clear you have nothing to rebut the overwhelming evidence I provided.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A story about a forbidden and secretive relationship between two cowboys
and their lives over the years.
mountain.jpg
mountain.jpg

tieguy

Banned
And in the case of the real movie another flick that despite the critics ravings I will not be killing myself to see. Will we see a movie highlighting bestiality next? Perhaps a few intimate scenes inside a tent between a cowboy and his horse?

wkmac

Buy your goose down coats now before the price goes through the roof. Should UPS reachout and sign up North Face and REI to exclusive shipping contracts now to secure this very profitable market segment in 40 or so years?
:wink:

Global warming is a combination of many rather than an exclusive result of one. It also goes without saying that the current warming is likely of a cyclical nature. That said however I believe where we can we should do things better to make our impact of a lesser degree. I'm not convinced Kyoto or other gov't mechanisms are the all in all answers either.

tieguy

Banned
Agreed. The concept of global warming is believable. So far the evidence is inconclusive. 20,000 plus scientists signing a petition against Kyoto is clear indication that it was not the answer.

A

Anonymous Poster

Seems the [wiki]Oregon Petition[/wiki] isn't exactly what tie claims it is.

tieguy

Banned
Anonymous Poster said:
Seems the [wiki]Oregon Petition[/wiki] isn't exactly what tie claims it is.

Ah so what you mean to say is those who support the global warming concept tried to discredit those who did not. Again you support my point that the jury is out. Thanks again