Throttle foot/heel pain

Reddriver

Driver for 15 years, age 36, recently started having unbearable pain in my right heel from grinding on the floorboards of various package trucks all day. I also experience sciatic pain in my right glute. I am not overweight and in excellent shape other than a few this and a few bulging discs. Does anyone know of a shoe or shoe insert that could alleviate these pains?
Thanks

moreluck

golden ticket member
Inflammation of the plantar fascia, called plantar fasciitis, is the most common cause of heel pain.

Maybe that is the place to start your research.

L

Loufan

Could it be tendinitis? I had that playing basketball a couple years ago, and it was just from the constant movement that wore my tendons down. It was not unbearable pain like you are talking about, but it was a pretty bad, constant pain that never went away until I got some treatment. Good luck, I hope it feels better.

NHDRVR

Driver for 15 years, age 36, recently started having unbearable pain in my right heel from grinding on the floorboards of various package trucks all day. I also experience sciatic pain in my right glute. I am not overweight and in excellent shape other than a few this and a few bulging discs. Does anyone know of a shoe or shoe insert that could alleviate these pains?
Thanks

Well, I would start with the inserts and work your way from there. Common sense stuff here but are your shoes/boots in good shape? When I played hockey (different, I know) I used to wear 2 pair of socks for added padding. Might work...

cosmictrucker

counting the months
I recommend you visit your Doctor and have them run a simple blood test to check your Uric Acid Level. I too suffered from "mystery" pain in my feet. I tried the insoles for plantar fasciitis, but this didn't fully solve the problem. Long story short, I was suffering from Gout and high Uric Acid levels in my blood. Get checked ASAP, there is medication that will help if this is what you're suffering from.

P

pickup

I recommend you visit your Doctor and have them run a simple blood test to check your Uric Acid Level. I too suffered from "mystery" pain in my feet. I tried the insoles for plantar fasciitis, but this didn't fully solve the problem. Long story short, I was suffering from Gout and high Uric Acid levels in my blood. Get checked ASAP, there is medication that will help if this is what you're suffering from.

I'm not researching anything today so what you get is off the top of my head, if it is gout , screw the meds. Anyone who gets gout usually drinks too much alcohol and is eating meat like a caveman. Less booze , less meat and that's that .

P

pickup

Thanks

That much being said in my last post. This is interesting. Imagine if you will we are in America circa oh, 1869. Telegraph lines are the form of communication then. Some remote terminal station(1st station) is having problems with their equipment that day and suspect that maybe their equipment is faulty. It just so happens that the station(2nd station) that they receive and transmit to is also having problems due to , I don't know , a tornado that came into town that caused damage to their station. The first station, instead of trying to fix their equipment should wait for the 2nd station to fix their equipment first. Most likely the 2nd station(the one that the terminal station(1s) runs through to transmit and receive , will experience a clearing of their difficulties.

How does this apply to your case? Your first station is the heel. The second station is the sciatic nerve which is probably being pinched. If the second station is screwed up, anything down the line is more like to have problems. Take care of the second station first. How? Chiropractic. Or for do it your selfers , grab a bar, hang from it with your feet off the ground for about 30 seconds as you swing to and fro like a pendulum . Get down , sit down and crack your back : pivot the back until you feel and hear that crack in your lower back area. Feels alot better doesn't it. But go to the chiropractor if that sounds too involved and take care of station no. 2 and see if station no. 1's problems clear up.

The above advice was given by the resident crackpot of the browncafe.

satellitedriver

Thanks
Your symptoms seem to stem from the bulging discs. The sciatic nerve runs all the way down to your feet. Branches of the sciatic nerve extend through the buttocks and down the back of each leg to the ankle and foot.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Thanks
You don't say anything about regular exercise, besides the daily grind of this job. That being the case, your body may be telling you that you need to stretch and do some light exercise to keep your muscles active and flexible. When muscles aren't taken care of properly they shrink, pulling tendons tight and this could cause a rub where ever this occurs.

This would be especially prevalent in your back, which could cause your spine to shift, making you feel pain anywhere in your body. I think that 9 times out of 10 aches and pains can be alleviated by stretching and light exercise. Please don't let any Dr talk you into instant pain meds and such. A good Dr will firstly recommend physical therapy. A good physical therapist will show you exercise and stretching techniques that will totally help you. Try this before chirocrackers and pain meds, please!

Very good advice!

I'm not researching anything today so what you get is off the top of my head, if it is gout , screw the meds. Anyone who gets gout usually drinks too much alcohol and is eating meat like a caveman. Less booze , less meat and that's that .
That's some great info from off the top of your head, mistah!

Reddriver

Wow thanks for all the great advice!

A little more about me: I have had my blood checked for everything, I have had 6 MRIs in the last year. My neurologist was sure I had MS until we did the lumbar puncture. I go to a health club nearly everyday where I do weight training, cardio and even yoga. I see a chiropractor, massage therapist and acupuncturist. I am in excellent health other than the problems I described. I just thought there might be an insert specially made for people behind the wheel with the back of their heel grinding on the floor all day, and maybe a cushion for the sciatica.

I know this job is the cause of my issues but how can I file an injury report when it built up over time?

Dustyroads

How many miles a day do you drive and what kind of package car? I've had shoe inserts made at a physical therapy hospital, I do all of the stretching exercises, but, when driving specific cars, the new p5's for example, and when on the highway for extended periords, I've had pain in my foot and even up in my thigh. I've found a couple things that help, one is moving the seat height and closeness to the wheel. It changes the angle that the foot and leg are placed when mashing the fuel feed. The second thing that seems to help is vacation.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Wow thanks for all the great advice!

A little more about me: I have had my blood checked for everything, I have had 6 MRIs in the last year. My neurologist was sure I had MS until we did the lumbar puncture. I go to a health club nearly everyday where I do weight training, cardio and even yoga. I see a chiropractor, massage therapist and acupuncturist. I am in excellent health other than the problems I described. I just thought there might be an insert specially made for people behind the wheel with the back of their heel grinding on the floor all day, and maybe a cushion for the sciatica.

I know this job is the cause of my issues but how can I file an injury report when it built up over time?
Just file the report if you need to and make the day you file it the date of injury, because this is actually the day it made you that uncomfortable to report this. As for the inserts, take the advice given above and try SUPERFEET. They do wonders. Ask your mechanic to install a newer seat with lumbar support. Mine installed a high back adjustable seat with the lumbar support, in my P800. Sounds like a repetitive stress issue and this is something that doesn't really have a pinpointable date. Keep us informed.

BROWN430

I haven't had foot pain but the sciatic pain you are talking about I did have. I have a chiropractor on my route and asked me if I carry my wallet in my pocket. Witch I did at the time. He told me to take it out and see if that would help. He told me the slightest bit of height from one side to the other would throw your whole back out of alinement. Needless to say I don't ever have my wallet in my pocket anymore and don't have the shooting pain up the back of my leg. Try it and see if it works for you.

lovemyupser

Thanks

The other thing it might be is small stress fractures in the heel of your foot. There was a guy that was in the Army with me and had pain in his heel. He had stress fractures. Really nothing you can do for them but rest and ice packs. Inserts will help. You can go to a foot doctor and have inserts made to feet your feet. Insurance will cover this minus the yearly deductible. When you get off work grab a ice pack and put it on the heel for 10 minutes and see if that helps. You can also try taking some Advil (ibuprofen). That is what I took when I broke my leg. It did help some, but that is the magic pill the military gives you.

Highwayman

I agree about the wallet. I never keep it in my back pocket. I go to a chiropractor once a month for basic manipulation and more often for any acute pain. Some time off of working out and working could do wonders too.