Tim Russert

moreluck

golden ticket member
NBC's Tim Russert dies of apparent heart attack

Tim Russert, host of NBC's "Meet the Press" and its Washington bureau chief collapsed and died at work Friday after suffering an apparent heart attack. He was 58

Russert, of Buffalo, N.Y., took the helm of the Sunday news show in December 1991 and turned it into the most widely watched program of its type in the nation. His signature trait there was an unrelenting style of questioning, sparing none of the politicians, business giants and even sports figures who appeared on his show.

Washingtonian magazine once dubbed Russert the best journalist in town, and described "Meet the Press" as "the most interesting and important hour on television.

He also wrote best-selling books, "Big Russ and Me," in 2004, and "Wisdom of our Fathers," in 2006.

This year, Time magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Russert also was a senior vice president at NBC.

JustTired

free at last.......
Now what do I watch Sunday morning?

He seemed to me to be a genuinely nice guy who wasn't afraid to ask the tough questions? I can't imagine who will fill his shoes. Whoever, It won't be the same.

Haven't read his books....but that's about to change.

My sympathy to his family and friends. I'm sure he will be there waiting when it's time for "Big Russ" to join him.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just tired........I hear them talking about the book he wrote about his dad and now I want to read it too.

Tim sounds like he was a genuine good man......according to all the friends praising & remembering him.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
He was a class act, one of the few journalist I have any respect for. He would ask the tough questions and was a big family man.

I remember a story he was telling about his son, Luke. His son came home one day and said something like "Hi Dad, I just got a tattoo", knowing that Russert hated them. Luke rolled up his sleeve and showed off a big "TJR" tat on his arm, which was Tim's and Tim's father's initials. Luke said that he always wanted his father and grandfather to be by his side.

helenofcalifornia

I am amazed at the reactions on his death. It's like the death of a beloved American that touched us all. He was so good at what he did and yet, hit that personal touch as well. I may have disagreed with him on some issues, but he never offended me to where I was angered. I will truly miss Tim Russert. He is irreplaceable. He will be the subject of Larry King tonight, which should be a good show with alot of good anecdotes about him and his life. The good do die young. And how sad that he outlived his Dad.

wkmac

What All ya'll said! Ditto.

Of all the Sunday morning types, he IMHO had them all beat hands down. He played no favorites, he confronted all with equal approach but then he was able to have those light moments with his guests too.

I watched Tim last night from about a year back talking about his son wanting his whiteboard he used so often during political campaigns on MTP. Tim went on to ask his son why would you want something like that to which his son told him what the monetary potential on EBay was for that thing. With that smile and laugh you enjoyed the laugh with him over the whole matter.

Tim was IMO a true "Blue Collar" guy and he approached Washington on their level but he was always there with ya at the kitchen tables of America talking the read bread and butter issues we face and he made sure we understood. Not sure there is anyone out there to fill those shoes now or if ever at all and that is the saddest part.

Thanks Lil' Russ for giving me the chance to look at many issues from many perspectives. you made Pat Moynihan proud too!

RIP my friend.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I watched Meet The Press this morning. I usually don't. I usually have Fox on and my back to the TV doing computer junk.

It was a moving program. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of us could live a life that would be praised and remembered by so many people?

bellesotico

BOXstar
I thought that Meet The Press this morning was a very nice tribute to such an amazing journalist.
One of my favorite Tim Russert moments was election night..Bush v. Gore. Tim looked more like an NBA coach with that whiteboard of his while talking strategy! If I remember correctly even he was poking fun at himself :)

He will be missed.

mikestrek

Have to agree. Tim Russert will be missed. I liked the way Russert wouldn't side with Democrats or Republicans. Tim would be tough on both sides. We need more americans like him.