To speak up or not? Talk to management or HR? “On topic” please!

Ding Dong Ditch Bitch

This is going to be long I apologize but in order to get the full picture I feel it all needs to be explained.

I was hired on October 5 given a start date for driving school of the 15th. I was called on the ninth and asked if I could report to school the next day because they really needed to get me trained and on the road as soon as possible. I rearrange my whole schedule put everything on hold went through driving school graduating on the 16th. Reported to my center on the next day 17th where I was told they don’t know what’s going on someone will call me. Received a call that afternoon telling me to just standby. After hearing nothing for a week I went into my center again on Wednesday the 24th I was then told they were having a managers meeting on Friday and someone will called me, no one called. Only Monday the 29th I received a call at 7:30 in the morning asking me to report for work the next day at 4 AM no explanation of anything just to be there at 4 AM. I report at 4 AM watch a two hour long video I already watched and tested on during school and then get sent home after being there two hours. Still no communication from anyone. I report for the rest of the week apparently to preload which was never discussed that’s fine I have no problem doing that. Still no communication no mention of driving or my training. Meanwhile I find out the other guy I was in class with has been working since we finished class and is now starting his road training. Monday the 5th I continue to do pre-loaded. On that day I had to ask for Thursday and Friday off I had to take my mother in for surgery something prescheduled and I couldn’t change not knowing when or if I was even going to be working at UPS since no one ever tells me anything. They didn’t seem too pleased with the fact and told me oh well we were going to start you driving I guess will have to do it next week because we don’t want to break up you’re training. So whatever that’s fine, I go into the center on that Friday to find out when to report on Monday no one‘s around and no one knows. I receive a phone call later telling me to report a 325. I question this because I was told I was driving to which the woman states I don’t know that’s just what they told me. So I report To work Monday the 12th To preload again and still there is not and has never been any communication to me from or by any supervisor I in fact I don’t even know who my supervisors are I’ve never been introduced! That day I’m working side-by-side with another driver who says he’s done part of his on road training doesn’t know when he’ll finish, so it’s OK to break up his training but not mine. At the end of the day he finds out he’ll finish his training the next day, still no word for me. Someone suggested to me that maybe they just forgot. FORGOT!? ‘isn’t this their job? They certainly didn’t forget to train the rest of the drivers and give them routes. I return to work the next day to preload I have decided I will hunt down management And find out what the story is. I just happen to run into my on road driving Trainer who upon finding out that I still haven’t been put on road decides to go speak to the manager himself on my behalf. He returns to me to tell me to wait to speak to the supervisor and conveys to me that there was some apparent friction with me over my hair color which was never mentioned to me. Friction? Seriously! like I said a supervisor is never even spoken to me EVER!!! And that there was an issue over the two days I took off also never expressed to me. (I mean seriously I’ve basically had my life on hold for a month and they’re pissed about two days WTF) Standing there waiting to speak to my supervisor as he breezes by stopped quickly and says “oh you’re so and so right?” When I know he knows damn well who I am and what my name is. And he simply says yeah be here tomorrow 845 in your uniform and continues walking. That is literally all the contact I have had with any management or supervisor since I started. So now I feel as if it’s a bit of a hostile environment and i don’t feel comfortable being there. I feel like i wouldn’t even be training now if my instructor hadn’t spoken up for me and I feel like I have no chance of being kept on. It’s crazy, it’s like management has been avoiding me I don’t understand it. I hate to even bring it up it’s not a card I want to use or route I want to go but with no other explanation the only thing that stands out to me is that I am the only new female driver and at this point every other driver who has come through the class after me of which I was one of the first two drivers through has already been put through their training and are already on the road. Some for weeks now. It just doesn’t add up. Is this normal??? Is management like this? You’d think a multi billion dollar company would be a little more organized.

The dilemma is do I speak up and who do I speak to? I don’t want to create a problem if there isn’t one. Normally I’m just a roll with it kind of person but it sure feels like a problem to me!

I know I’m going to regret this post. I can see you guys are a tough crowd.

Commence beatings. Lol

TheFigurehead

Welcome to UPS. It doesn't get any better. That feeling you have right now? That's pretty much how you'll feel for the rest of your career here. It's great money... but a terrible working environment.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just a strip of dark blue very hidden by the dark brown especially in a bun under a hat! Not that it should be treated differently than the half black half blond hair of my HR rep but I would have been happy to change if only I had been asked
Your HR rep isn't the face of the company.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This is going to be long I apologize but in order to get the full picture I feel it all needs to be explained.

I was hired on October 5 given a start date for driving school of the 15th. I was called on the ninth and asked if I could report to school the next day because they really needed to get me trained and on the road as soon as possible. I rearrange my whole schedule put everything on hold went through driving school graduating on the 16th. Reported to my center on the next day 17th where I was told they don’t know what’s going on someone will call me. Received a call that afternoon telling me to just standby. After hearing nothing for a week I went into my center again on Wednesday the 24th I was then told they were having a managers meeting on Friday and someone will called me, no one called. Only Monday the 29th I received a call at 7:30 in the morning asking me to report for work the next day at 4 AM no explanation of anything just to be there at 4 AM. I report at 4 AM watch a two hour long video I already watched and tested on during school and then get sent home after being there two hours. Still no communication from anyone. I report for the rest of the week apparently to preload which was never discussed that’s fine I have no problem doing that. Still no communication no mention of driving or my training. Meanwhile I find out the other guy I was in class with has been working since we finished class and is now starting his road training. Monday the 5th I continue to do pre-loaded. On that day I had to ask for Thursday and Friday off I had to take my mother in for surgery something prescheduled and I couldn’t change not knowing when or if I was even going to be working at UPS since no one ever tells me anything. They didn’t seem too pleased with the fact and told me oh well we were going to start you driving I guess will have to do it next week because we don’t want to break up you’re training. So whatever that’s fine, I go into the center on that Friday to find out when to report on Monday no one‘s around and no one knows. I receive a phone call later telling me to report a 325. I question this because I was told I was driving to which the woman states I don’t know that’s just what they told me. So I report To work Monday the 12th To preload again and still there is not and has never been any communication to me from or by any supervisor I in fact I don’t even know who my supervisors are I’ve never been introduced! That day I’m working side-by-side with another driver who says he’s done part of his on road training doesn’t know when he’ll finish, so it’s OK to break up his training but not mine. At the end of the day he finds out he’ll finish his training the next day, still no word for me. Someone suggested to me that maybe they just forgot. FORGOT!? ‘isn’t this their job? They certainly didn’t forget to train the rest of the drivers and give them routes. I return to work the next day to preload I have decided I will hunt down management And find out what the story is. I just happen to run into my on road driving Trainer who upon finding out that I still haven’t been put on road decides to go speak to the manager himself on my behalf. He returns to me to tell me to wait to speak to the supervisor and conveys to me that there was some apparent friction with me over my hair color which was never mentioned to me. Friction? Seriously! like I said a supervisor is never even spoken to me EVER!!! And that there was an issue over the two days I took off also never expressed to me. (I mean seriously I’ve basically had my life on hold for a month and they’re :censored2: about two days WTF) Standing there waiting to speak to my supervisor as he breezes by stopped quickly and says “oh you’re so and so right?” When I know he knows damn well who I am and what my name is. And he simply says yeah be here tomorrow 845 in your uniform and continues walking. That is literally all the contact I have had with any management or supervisor since I started. So now I feel as if it’s a bit of a hostile environment and i don’t feel comfortable being there. I feel like i wouldn’t even be training now if my instructor hadn’t spoken up for me and I feel like I have no chance of being kept on. It’s crazy, it’s like management has been avoiding me I don’t understand it. I hate to even bring it up it’s not a card I want to use or route I want to go but with no other explanation the only thing that stands out to me is that I am the only new female driver and at this point every other driver who has come through the class after me of which I was one of the first two drivers through has already been put through their training and are already on the road. Some for weeks now. It just doesn’t add up. Is this normal??? Is management like this? You’d think a multi billion dollar company would be a little more organized.

The dilemma is do I speak up and who do I speak to? I don’t want to create a problem if there isn’t one. Normally I’m just a roll with it kind of person but it sure feels like a problem to me!

I know I’m going to regret this post. I can see you guys are a tough crowd.

Commence beatings. Lol

Twenty years ago, this place was run differently.
The people you actually saw and talked to in the past month could actually make decisions.
They would be in control and would know exactly what is going on.

Nowadays, the place is run invisibly.
Decisions are made on conference calls.
Decisions are based on stock prices and IE projections, not need.
Decisions are made by people who don't have to look you in the eye.

I always hated how they treated seasonal drivers and workers here.
In your case, it looks like they had enough help and needed to hold you for the Black Friday rush.

No one would hold it against you to walk in when they finally need you,
and with your clothes in a bag, tell them to friend off and find another driver.

Ding Dong Ditch Bitch

Twenty years ago, this place was run differently.
The people you actually saw and talked to in the past month could actually make decisions.
They would be in control and would know exactly what is going on.

Nowadays, the place is run invisibly.
Decisions are made on conference calls.
Decisions are based on stock prices and IE projections, not need.
Decisions are made by people who don't have to look you in the eye.

I always hated how they treated seasonal drivers and workers here.
In your case, it looks like they had enough help and needed to hold you for the Black Friday rush.

No one would hold it against you to walk in when they finally need you,
and with your clothes in a bag, tell them to friend off and find another driver.
I d like to believe that but that fact threat they put everyone (all men ) on road before me when I completed the class first says otherwise

Ding Dong Ditch Bitch

You came here, wrote and essay and expect us not to be critical?

You probably won't be a good fit.
No I don’t. I came here for advice on a specific issue not to be criticized personally on issues that have nothing to do with what I asked. People come here to ask honest questions about real issues not for every :censored2: on here to troll. But my bad I guess this isn’t the place.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I really don’t want to. Just wondering if I should say anything at all but from what I gather it’d be pointless
No. Not if you want the job. If you read any of the other threads you’ll see that everyone has been yanked around until they started working steadily. Stop worrying about others and concern yourself with you.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You don’t know me or anything about me. I suggest you keep your uniformed opinions to yourself.
About what? I did not read it.

Fellow drivers got your back. Nothing matters unless you are in the probationary packet

Preload (sometimes for 10 ENTIRE YEARS) is normal before a driving gig, 30 day packet id the only time you should care about anything.

Read the union contract front-to-back. They still managed to produce 45 more pages of material than you did on a forum post. Get additional info from drivers and stewards. That's it.