Tony Romo: 2014 - Up or Down Vote

bbsam

Staff member
Your boy Cutler for starters. If all it took was a good O line and a good running game why hasn't Minnesota been winning superbowls since they drafted Adrian Peterson?
Romo has been good year in and year out, football is a team game no qb can win without a good team and vice versa.
Those are good points.

Romo still has a couple years to prove me wrong about him. With the BIG game on the line though, 3rd and 7 with 1:04 left in the game and down 5, who do you feel more comfortable with? Romo dropping back trying to thread the needle to Bryant or Murray running the rock off right tackle with the left guard pulling?

bbsam

Staff member
Another thing to consider is that Romo and Cutler are much the same.

Cutler is in the second year of this offense, one by all accounts is a difficult and intricate offense. He's sucked. Last year Cutler and the Bears had the second highest scoring offense. What happened? Cutler hasn't been able to make the expanded offense work. Put in the second string qb, dial back the playbook, and presto! Looks lIke a legitimate NFL offense again.

In Romo's case, the play calling has changed to relying more on the O-line and Murray. Again, nothing wrong with that. In fact it's damn impressive. But neither Cutler nor Romo will be a Brady or Rodgers or Manning or Breese. That's ok. They don't have to be and Dallas is proving it this year.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Another thing to consider is that Romo and Cutler are much the same.

Cutler is in the second year of this offense, one by all accounts is a difficult and intricate offense. He's sucked. Last year Cutler and the Bears had the second highest scoring offense. What happened? Cutler hasn't been able to make the expanded offense work. Put in the second string qb, dial back the playbook, and presto! Looks lIke a legitimate NFL offense again.

In Romo's case, the play calling has changed to relying more on the O-line and Murray. Again, nothing wrong with that. In fact it's damn impressive. But neither Cutler nor Romo will be a Brady or Rodgers or Manning or Breese. That's ok. They don't have to be and Dallas is proving it this year.
Big difference between Cutler and Romo is, Cutler is too much of a gunslinger. Sure Romo may throw some untimely picks but Cutler has no disregard at all. His arrogance is higher than Romo and thinks his arm is so strong he can get it in any tight space. Their very similar but Romo is definitely the more patient and smart quarterback. But ill give it to both of them, their both tough sumbitches about taking a hit, thats for sure.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
N

Nope. But it is what it is. With that O line and running game, what QB wouldn't look like a world beater? Or did Romo simply recreate himself? We all know the answer and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the truth.;)
This Cowboys team is eerily similar to those dynasty teams. Great offensive line, great qb(not quiete Aikman) , rb, wr, te, only difference is that dynasty team had a better defense but im sure their going to work on solidifying the defense in the off season through the draft and free agency.

bbsam

Staff member
Big difference between Cutler and Romo is, Cutler is too much of a gunslinger. Sure Romo may throw some untimely picks but Cutler has no disregard at all. His arrogance is higher than Romo and thinks his arm is so strong he can get it in any tight space. Their very similar but Romo is definitely the more patient and smart quarterback. But ill give it to both of them, their both tough sumbitches about taking a hit, thats for sure.
I agree. Romo used to think he had to make that throw and Cutler still thinks he can. Romo no longer thinks he has to and I believe Cutler will be reigned in next year in Chicago so that he no longer thinks he can.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I agree. Romo used to think he had to make that throw and Cutler still thinks he can. Romo no longer thinks he has to and I believe Cutler will be reigned in next year in Chicago so that he no longer thinks he can.
Cowboys could be the sleeper team. They have a good enough team to play with anybody but i think they will fall short unfortunately. Their a team on the rise, and if we plug in some of the holes on the defensive side of the ball, who knows. Funny how qbs as they get older get better with experience and more knowledge of the game. Look at Elway at Denver, he was always a great quarterback, just never had a stud running back to open things up lil more and give opposing teams a different look. They knew what was coming all the time without Terrell Davis so it was that much more for Elway to carry the load without him.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Romo is Favre without the rings. You just know he's going to throw the boneheaded pick. Its who he is.
I know this is an old thread but someone a few years ago did an article that farce would be mediocre in today's nfl.

It made sense. He threw way too many picks and whoever wins the turnover battle wins the game 80% of the time now.