Too Short?

ups1990

Man, I thought this thread was about the rapper Too Short from Oakland California. Some of you here playas, know what I'm talking about.
This has to be one of the funniest thread ever, from the OP to the responses, its been hard to read without going into laughter. Whenever anyone starts a sentence with "no offense but..." someone is about to get disrespected.

This is nonsense, we have women in our hub that are just about your height and they have no problem or should we say, management has no problems with them driving and performing at a high level.

And every day changing them to the route he is covering that day? Many times cover drivers don't know what they're doing till after the PCM. Do we have a mechanic waiting to change them everyday? I don't feel this is a reasonable accommodation.

It would be a pedal extension that slides over the truck pedal and clamps in place. Swapping from truck to truck is a matter of loosening ,swapping,and clamping. The O.P. could keep them in her locker until she knew what route she was on and just install them before she left.
As far as the mechanic doing it let the center manager make sure he is that at startup to install them for her. Every morning. I give it a week before the mechanic says "screw it let the driver do it, I have other work to do".

My mother's a dwarf like Meny and I've had to put pedal extensions in every one of her cars. It's not the big deal some are making it

hypocrisy

Banned
Exactly. The ones in the link I posted looked very simple to install. To the OP: I would re-approach Management with this solution (and document their answers very, very thoroughly). Be sure to acknowledge they accommodated you during your probationary period. I would approach them with a very reasonable tone and if they balk at cost suggest using one of your breaks to install/uninstall them.

If they still balk I would take your very, very thorough documentation to an attorney specializing in the American with Disabilities Act.

Conundrum

Yes I use a load stand for after the drop off, I could never reach those shelves otherwise even with jumping lol.

I was able to drive the last two days in a 7 I was close enough to reach in (Thank God) Its so frustrating not working. Its the truck I have been the most comfortable in (reaching the pedals) and really the day went WAY more smoothly.

I do not really want to go the ADA way because technically I am not considered disabled, I am a person of normal height.

If it continues that I have days I can't work I may have to bring it to the EEOC but I have been trying to avoid that because I do not really want to make a big deal out of this I just want to be able to work. I will see how it plays out next week.

Thank you all for the suggestions I will check into DOT's rules about the pedal extenders to see about their possible use, I just do not know if they would be permissible because of the "liability" issues and not modifying vehicles.

hypocrisy

Banned
Yes UPS is sooooo concerned about not modifying vehicles. I've heard that my whole career. Oh, except when it involves welding frames and other violations such as the million plus dollar lawsuit they paid out in NY. But UPS, they always follow the law, just ask them.

You may not want to go the ADA or EEOC route, but it may be the best option. I would not let pride get in the way of your paycheck.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Watch out with those old P7s that have the plastic shield on the bottom front of the driver's seat. If you slide it all the way up, as I have to, your foot can actually get caught under the clutch.

At 5'2 as a cover driver I pretty much did what I had to, within reason, to get the job done. This often included taping a couple map books + a pillow to the seat back. Management never said a word. I did this for 2 years. I have had to refuse to drive because the distance and necessary alterations were just too unsafe. In that case I either reloaded something I could drive, rode jump with a soup driving, or went home.

As a bid driver I've been lucky to have p-1000s with short-back seats that move up far enough. If I win a bid with anything else they will re-weld the seat as they have done in the past for tall drivers, moving them back.

As for reaching shelves, I've always enjoyed a good climb.

Best of luck. Make the safest choices.

code5

Watch out with those old P7s that have the plastic shield on the bottom front of the driver's seat. If you slide it all the way up, as I have to, your foot can actually get caught under the clutch.

At 5'2 as a cover driver I pretty much did what I had to, within reason, to get the job done. This often included taping a couple map books + a pillow to the seat back. Management never said a word. I did this for 2 years. I have had to refuse to drive because the distance and necessary alterations were just too unsafe. In that case I either reloaded something I could drive, rode jump with a soup driving, or went home.

As a bid driver I've been lucky to have p-1000s with short-back seats that move up far enough. If I win a bid with anything else they will re-weld the seat as they have done in the past for tall drivers, moving them back.

I too am 5'2 I'm also a male so I get all the short jokes and such which is all good, I can dish it out too! When I first started at UPS 18 years ago driving old P500's it did take me a while to adjust but it didn't take me long to feel comfortable driving them. I've always used my size to my strenths cause I'm very agile and I too do a bunch of climbing in the back of the car! I also have very little body fat but am in good shape with my job. My core strength is amazing but lately I'm wondering if my body structure is creeping up on me. I've always had a bulk run and pushed my body very hard over the years. I could go hard and be OK but lately it takes me a couple days to recover if I push myself too hard. Next year I turn 40.

I suppose my problems are similar to anyone with different body structures doing this to myself for 18 years, but I do wonder if my body isn't as durable given my size and the physical nature of our job. I suppose I'll probably eventually have to switch to a higher residential route with smaller packages. Driving the package car however, has never been a problem.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I was 'caught' with my tail in the air feet dangling one day by the on-car. I have never heard him laugh so hard.

He was happy that, unlike some previous drivers(he specified a certain gender), I wasn't whining in the cab calling the center saying I can't do it. I used the existing equipment and found a way.

My loader told me the next morning that the on-car asked him to try and remember how short I am when loading that part of my truck.
He is one of the good ones.:happy2: